Duke English vs Literature?

7 hours ago, Warelin said:

I didn't want to start a new topic and realized this one was still unanswered to some extent. I messaged the DGS and got a reply:

Your second question, about the difference between English and the Program and Literature, is also tricky to answer. Many dissertations could in principle be written in either department. However, English is oriented more specifically toward the study of literary texts written in English, whereas Literature (despite its name) doesn’t necessarily have that focus on literature in general, and it definitely isn’t restricted to English literature. So the key question is whether you want a training in English literature or not. (With that said, the Duke English department is very theoretically-oriented, so one would not have to pursue a traditional training in English literature. However, in the final analysis, our students generally do end up in English departments, whereas Literature students end up in a wider variety of departments.)

You're the real MVP for actually sending in an email to ask. I'm not sure, however, if that answer really clarifies the difference. I might just ask the literature DGS what the difference is and then compare them. :-P

19 hours ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Do both programs accept the same amount of people (i.e. is it more difficult to get into one over the other)?

More people apply to English than Literature but that doesn't mean it's any easier to get into one than another. If English focuses on say "clowns" and Literature focuses on "bats", I'm going to have a hard time getting my Bozo the Clown accepted by the Literature department. Fit remains an ever-important aspect of deciding where to submit applications. It's also dangerous to assume that just because a school receives the same number of applications means they are equally as hard to get admitted to since the pool of applicants and "quality" would differ between the two.

• 1 month later...

Okay. I'll be fine if that happens, I'd just melt a little haha.

I'm browsing courses and I have the feeling like I'm scrolling through a Film Studies program...

Edited by Yanaka

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. So in Duke's application, they ask you if you would be able to attend Duke without funding. I answered "no" at first, then felt it's a mistake and sent an email to the grad office. She replied saying okay: "Your file has been changed to reflect that you have outside funding". Now I'm worried it's giving them the wrong idea, and might influence on how much funding I'd receive if I were to receive an offer. I've already told her that I did not have funding, but that I wanted to make sure I'd receive the offer if I were considered by Duke. What do you think?

Whichever is true. If you can attend without funding, then sure, tell them. It might mean that if you're on the fringe they might include you because it's low-cost, or they might use the opportunity to give another student funding.

Hey, no I don't have any funding at all. If I don't get funding from them, I won't attend unless I find solutions that don't require I make a loan. Hopefully I made it clear to her that I wanted to make sure I'll receive the offer anyway, but that by no means I have any source of money of that kind. 

18 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Hey there. So in Duke's application, they ask you if you would be able to attend Duke without funding. I answered "no" at first, then felt it's a mistake and sent an email to the grad office. She replied saying okay: "Your file has been changed to reflect that you have outside funding". Now I'm worried it's giving them the wrong idea, and might influence on how much funding I'd receive if I were to receive an offer. I've already told her that I did not have funding, but that I wanted to make sure I'd receive the offer if I were considered by Duke. What do you think?

I'm confused. Why would you go out of your way to change your answer on the question if you don't have outside funding? If you suggest you can go there without funding, you're absolutely signaling to them that you have the means to attend the program without them ponying up the funds for you. It's really the only thing you could say in order to get an unfunded offer.

If you don't have the money to fund your PhD, I'm not sure why you'd care if they extend you an unfunded offer or not, unless your goal is conciliatory affirmation. I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying that. I just really don't understand. 

7 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Okay. I don't know, I just don't get the system. I'm learning. 

Fair enough. In the future, just make sure not to check off the box that says you'd consider attending without funding. Occasionally, programs will get apps from the super rich (see James Franco) or from folks with national scholarships. That box is for them to check. 

Thanks! I sent another email explaining the confusion and that the box is absolutely not for me. Hopefully she'll change it back, and my overthinking won't make me look like a weird, impulsive and unsure person. 

Edited by Yanaka