Applying to very few programs? (all eggs in 1 or 2 baskets)

med latte

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Applied to two schools for undergraduate, and doing the same for graduate.  Been accepted to all so far, which I think it's because I was able to spend time making both applications as strong as possible.

I applied to 1 community college, 2 undergrad universities, and 3 master's programs... That's means I'll probably apply to 4 PhD programs, and once I realize my true passion of soldering, 5 trade schools. 

I applied to 1 community college, 2 undergrad universities, and 3 master's programs... That's means I'll probably apply to 4 PhD programs, and once I realize my true passion of soldering, 5 trade schools. 

Once you realize that you need to obtain an additional certificate, you'll apply to 6 different programs for that.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Once you realize that you need to obtain an additional certificate, you'll apply to 6 different programs for that.

I don't know if I could deal with all that school. Maybe I'll just stop at PhD. 

I also applied to only three schools. As much as I'd like to move out to the west coast, I can't afford it. I need to be able to drive home if my family needs me so midwest was as far as I could look (and even that is a helluva drive). It is what it is. And anyway, having limitations saves a lot of agonizing and application fees.

I really want one school and only applied there. But now it's very much an all eggs in one basket situation. Now I'm wishing I would have applied to more schools. 

I applied to three schools, though I already have admission to stay at my undergrad institution. I think I should be able to get two admissions, but that's just a guess. I would be happy to stay at my undergrad institution as well! I would be more anxious if I weren't.

I couldn't find more than 4 programs which suited my needs and goals and all of them are top institutions in my field and highly competitive. I'm so worried about the results of my applications. I'm an international applicant which makes my chance of admittance very slim.

Doctor of Pharmacy graduate with GPA :3.35

TOEFL ibt : 109

GRE: V 157, Q 165, W 3.5 

I applied to 3 for undergrad, 1 for the Master's and now 6 for the PhD. I had planned to apply to like 10 schools for the PhD, but ultimately the funds were not there. There's one more school that I was going to apply to that has a deadline in a few weeks, but once I got my first acceptance, I decided to let that one go.

I applied to 8 for undergrad and 6 for Master's. Now that's neuroticism for you, huh? I guess it's somewhat deserved since in my field it's pretty tough to get a job straight out of undergrad. Job opportunities really open up after an MS/PhD.

This was my second time to the dance. Last year I managed one admit but with no funding (rolling admits, late application = $0) out of four apps. I deferred that and this season applied to 2 schools, one in Communication Studies and one in Sociology (my research is very multi disciplinary). Got accepted to my program of choice, will be attending and will be withdrawing my interest from the other schools.

I applied to three.  Because of my location restraint (I have to stay close to home), fit, and thesis advisor's advice, I was swiftly cut down to three.

My GPA and GRE Verbal are stellar, but my GRE Quant score is a bit low, and I'm constantly fretting over how my personal statement wasn't exactly the most tailored to the programs.  I didn't use a boiler plate SOP and made sure to include why I would be a good fit for their specific program (focus in gender, focus in applied sociology, etc.), but I didn't include professor names!!  Granted, I only had two pages to work with ... oh well ... I'll see what comes of it!  

Edited by gingin6789

I only applied to three. Two are top-tier programs. At one I expected an admit but no funding and the other is a longshot. The backup plan is at such a desirable location that there's a tiny sliver of me hoping that I'll go there, even though going there means a rejection from my top choice. 

I applied to four when I went through the cycle last year, and let's be honest, one of those was a pipe dream to begin with. I ended up admitted to two of the four, so less can be good!

I only applied to 2 schools that I thought fit with my weird blend of research topics.  And I just got an acceptance email yesterday, so feeling wonderful!  I had been questioning my decision and worried when I saw people here applying to at least 8 schools, but everyone's situation is somewhat unique.  In the end, I had the time to tailor my SOP to really show why i wanted into those 2 particular schools and think that helped push me to the front of the pack with the admissions team.  Good luck to everyone else!

• 4 weeks later...

If it is brought up in an interview, is it okay to tell them I've only applied to one program (true)?

I think that as a general rule honesty is preferable to lying.

Only applied to three schools this time around.  I was only going to apply to Safety School originally and just be done with it, but a mentor with deep connections to what is now Top Choice offered to write me a letter, so I applied to that too.  And if I was going to apply to two schools, I applied to a third school with an offbeat sort of program that I was sort of qualified for, just to see what would happen (and what happened was rejection).  I was pretty sure I'd get into SS and I did.  I was also okay with completely striking out and trying again next year.

Years ago when I was applying to my first doctoral program I applied to just one school and got in.  Again, I was really pretty sure I'd get in because I was writing a paper on someone teaching there and had established a good rapport.  At that time in life I was also okay with not getting in anywhere.  I think as a general rule if you're okay with striking out and have other things to do, then why bother applying to 10 schools?