Applying to very few programs? (all eggs in 1 or 2 baskets)

med latte

Is anyone applying or planning to apply to only one or two programs?  Right now there is only one program in the US that offers the program I want.  They get about 30 applications a year, and accept 4 or 5.  So.......yeah, anxiety.  I wish I had a long list of programs that could serve as back ups.  Anyone else also applying to a small number of programs?

Pauli, you knew that one school was right for you, eh?  Did you have anxiety about what your plan b would be if you did not get in?  Apply again?  Or were you confident you would be admitted because of existing relationships with professors there?

Would love to hear about the experiences of others who only applied to one school (for whatever reason).  

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I really want to go to 1 school but I might apply to 4 schools just to be safe. But I'll be applying to master's programs. Do you think since they're master's programs that I should have less reason to worry? 

Pauli, you knew that one school was right for you, eh?  Did you have anxiety about what your plan b would be if you did not get in?  Apply again?  Or were you confident you would be admitted because of existing relationships with professors there?

I guess the reason was because the program fit my research interests, locations, and cost of living, and felt comfortable with admittance due to my reference letters (the reference letters were professors in my undergrad that knew the professors well in the grad school), so I applied to that one in particular. But in addition, I was comfortable with my backup plan in the event that I was rejected, which was to go to industry for a couple years to boost my experience.

I don't see a problem with this.  I only applied to 5 (4 master's and one PhD) programs.  There were really only 3 programs I really wanted to attend and I kind of threw in the last two because they were highly ranked in my field and I wouldn't mind going there, just because I felt I had to apply to more than 3 programs.  In my opinion, grad school is essentially a means to an end; you're going because you want to do something specific.  And if you can't do that specific thing that you want to do because you don't get into the program you need, there's no point in going to a program that won't serve your needs just to go.

I was pretty confident that I would be admitted to most or all of the 4 master's programs I applied to (and was) but I was skeptical about the one PhD program I applied to.  I actually applied on a whim, thinking it would be a dream if I was admitted but really concentrating on doing the master's first and intending to go to a PhD program after that.  Much to my surprise I *did* get admitted to that PhD program, and that's where I'm finishing up this year.

I applied to two schools. Rejected by one, accepted (with bells on) from the other, which has been an excellent fit and with someone I'd wanted to work with for years who's now my advisor. 

Throughout the process, I was 75% sure I'd have to follow my plan B, which was to continue working for two more years, and then apply to a wider swath of schools. 

If it feels right for you, do it. I personally was gobsmacked to read the "how much did you spend on applications?" thread that was kicking around here a few years ago, and seeing four-digit figures.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only applying to three schools, and four programs.  I'm limited geographically due to my husband's job - he supports me while I'm going to school, pays the mortgage on our house, etc., so we aren't going to be moving anytime soon.  We could do the distance thing, but we just can't afford to pay my rent/living expenses at another location (although one of universities I'm applying to would mean we will be separated geographically, but I'll have free room and board at that location, so it's feasiable.

Unfortunately, I'm applying to competitive programs (they get hundreds of applications for 12-18 spots) but I have a solid back-up plan in place.  The prof I'm doing my fourth-year honours thesis with has said he would take me on as an MSc student.  So I have that option should I not get into the other programs.

I'll be in the same basket again in a couple of years. I applied to 7 M.A. programs, which I probably could've shaved down to 4; when I was applying, though, I didn't really have a "Plan B," since I had no intention of continuing to stay in the workforce for more than a year and a half at the time, so the additional applications were a sort of insurance, I guess.

Now that what I want to pursue in terms of research is clear, it's become painfully apparent that I will only be applying to two schools (one program at each)… and they are two of the top three programs in my general field (archaeology). This time around, though, I'm okay with having an unsuccessful first or second round of applications, since I'll need to start paying off my student loans from my current program. The professors I'd like to work with, and the resources I'd need, all seem to be concentrated in two places. Ah well! It's both more and less stressful at once.

• 1 month later...

I also applied to only one program last year. It was (is) a location matter; in my area is the only one University that offers PhDs and I'm not willing to move (I'm extremely happy here). I got accepted "upon funding". Soooo disappointing! In fact, money never came though, and here I am reapplying to the same program, with the same adviser.... Hopefully works out this time around.

I hope that this doesn't happen to me. While I have a promising CV and relevant work experience in my field to be able to apply to quite a few schools, my current finances only allow me to apply to ONE. I can't afford to move to another city, especially because I'm taking care of my family (no I don't have kids, but my niece and Mom depend on me) and being the sole breadwinner.

Honestly, if I don't get in, I guess I might apply to take some undergrad courses and get to know some of the professors there, but honestly, I dunno afterwards. :/ 

I'm applying to only two schools, and they are both very competitive (Stanford and Harvard). Sometimes I feel like I should be applying to more schools but those were the only two that had the program I was interested in.

I only applied to four, and I'm seriously freaking out now. I have no Plan B and I don't know what I'll do if I don't get accepted anywhere. My job and location are such that I can't even fathom having to stay in either much longer.

Sorry for the mini meltdown this has been the worst day I've had in a while.

I applied to six Ph.D. programs, but they're all pretty competitive programs and my field's standard is more like 10-15 so I'm quite anxious.  (The 7 in my sig is the NSF GRFP.)  I tried to only apply places where I felt I was a good fit, would be happy, and stood a decent shot of being accepted, though. My Plan B is Avodah, Americorps, or Peace Corps and then reapply.

Edited by gellert

• 2 weeks later...

I've only applied to three programs. I considered location, tuition, and job potential when making my decision. In all honesty, I do wish more schools met MY criteria to apply, but I realized those three things are deal breakers for me.

I only applied to 4 programs. Kinda wished I applied to a few more, not sure what i'll do if i don't get accepted.

I only chose 4 because those were the only schools doing the research that I wanted to be doing in the places I wanted to live. I've only had one interview so far, hope to hear about other schools next week.

freaking out.