SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Wow, I'm surprised everyone is hearing from the awards office. I called mine yesterday and they didn't even have the list yet. I know the lady who works there and she has helped me in the past. she said if I had the list she would tell me but I'd probably know first. She also said school that contact their students before sshrc makes the list official is a big no-no but it appears it's more common than she thought.

These past few days have felt longer than the previous 6 months of waiting on SSHRC. If I end up having to go through this process again next year, I'm staying away from Gradcafe! (lol jk, I'll be back).

Safferz, like x 1,000.

I'm kicking myself for not changing my mailing address to my parents' address in Toronto earlier (I changed it for any mail after April 30th, while I'm away from my US address). I probably would have found out yesterday :(

Thanks for all the support and info re wait listing everyone! Perhaps the inconsistency in awards winning scores is due to the award allocation per university? So if one university had a competitive year a 10.5 may not have made the cut, but at another, less competitive institution a lower score could have been successful?

Edited by theoryandpractice87

Thanks for all the support and info re wait listing everyone! Perhaps the inconsistency in awards winning scores is due to the award allocation per university? So if one university had a competitive year a 10.5 may not have made the cut, but at another, less competitive institution a lower score could have been successful?

There's an award allocation per university for the doctoral SSHRC? I've never heard this.

There's an award allocation per university for the doctoral SSHRC? I've never heard this.

Yes, most Canadian universities have quotas of how many applications they can forward to the national competition. My institution forwarded 63 out of (I believe) 180.

As I understand them, those scores are for the national competition only, and not for individual universities.

Yes, most Canadian universities have quotas of how many applications they can forward to the national competition. My institution forwarded 63 out of (I believe) 180.

Right, I meant university quotas during the final competition, which is what theoryandpractice seems to be asking about. I assumed it doesn't matter once applications reach the national competition.

Right, I meant university quotas during the final competition, which is what theoryandpractice seems to be asking about. I assumed it doesn't matter once applications reach the national competition.

My bad -- misinterpreted the question! I don't believe there are university quotas for awards. If they forward X number of applicants, X number of applicants can potentially receive the award

Hi everyone. 

I heard from my department that I was not successful. That being said, when log into my profile I see: 

Canada Graduate Scholarships - Michael Smith Foreign Study Supplements

Does anyone know what this could mean? I am not trying to get my hopes up at this point - but, is it possible that maybe there has been some miscommunication with my department and the FGSR? 

EDIT: Just checked on previous posts. Apparently it means nothing. LOL. Congrats to everyone who got one. I'll join you as sshrc scholars next year (hopefully). 

Edited by crimsoc

Sorry to hear that, crimsoc. Best of luck next year -- we've had a lot of people in this thread re-apply and have a successful cycle after trying again, which is inspiring to see :)

Sorry crimsoc! I'd still wait for the official letter before making any conclusions, since there's always a chance of human error! Hang in there!

Edited by Konstantin

Sorry crimsoc! I'd still wait for the official letter before make any conclusions, since there's always a change of human error! Hang in there!

I like your style.

Edited by crimsoc

Thanks. On another note, are they still wait listing applications?

I believe so -- someone posted earlier that they were waitlisted, though we don't know what the score was!

What do you mean, bentharbour?

I'm having the most unproductive weekend ever due to SSHRC letter waiting related anxiety, when I can't really afford to be. There is no mail delivery on Sunday, I have no excuse to bum around today and think about the letter I may or may not receive tomorrow lol

I just meant from posting scores and other details. In years past, everyone posted scores, number of awards, number of applicants, etc. but this year it seems we have held back quite a bit! I think it has something to do with a bolded sentence in telling us not to disclose the details. (which, is also part of the letter, so I guess I should not have said this!)

Edited by bentharbour

Question for anyone who holds/will hold a SSHRC CGS or fellowship in the US: are the awards subject to US taxes? Am I required to include it in my tax return to the IRS? I am aware that I have to file a Canadian tax return including the SSHRC.

I am incredibly ignorant regarding the US tax system and although I think I am a rather smart guy, the resources I have found on this topic are super complex and difficult to understand.

Also, if any US SSHRC holder has some other advice I am all ears!

Edited by bentharbour

I just meant from posting scores and other details. In years past, everyone posted scores, number of awards, number of applicants, etc. but this year it seems we have held back quite a bit! I think it has something to do with a bolded sentence in telling us not to disclose the details. (which, is also part of the letter, so I guess I should not have said this!)

Until we receive our letters, we don't know a lot of that information. When I lost the last two years, the letter listed my score, number of applicants, number of winners, etc. 

So far, all I have is one email from the graduate awards office telling me that I won. The email lists no other information, and the person who sent it said all the details would be in the SSHRC letter. 

Also, for those curious, the email from my school does not state to keep the information secret. I gather that my department knew at the same time that I knew, as they were cc'ed in the email. 

If the email had said to keep quiet I would have.