Empty lab loads of room

signedup118

A bunch of students left a lab around the same time. Maybe they want their research to go in a new direction. Now there may be potential for new students in that lab but not sure if it is a good lab situation. 

A bunch of students left a lab around the same time. Maybe they want their research to go in a new direction. Now there may be potential for new students in that lab but not sure if it is a good lab situation. 

I would be very cautious. Acceptance to a University usually revolves around getting into a specific lab; transferring into a different lab is a political minefield, as the student leaving one lab usually needs a darn good reason, and the person taking the student needs to have funding. The fact that more-than-one student left a given lab and was able to find funding elsewhere is worth noting.

It was 4 or 5 students. It is a clinical program. Student funding comes from externships not from the labs. Maybe the student interest shifted because everyone heard new professor had been hired. I heard they left before the new professor came but students already knew they had hired someone new.

It was 4 or 5 students. It is a clinical program. Student funding comes from externships not from the labs. Maybe the student interest shifted because everyone heard new professor had been hired. I heard they left before the new professor came but students already knew they had hired someone new.

Yeah... no. Something is going on.

1 or 2 students in a program being interested in joining the new prof's lab is plausible. 4 or 5 all from the same lab? No way.

• 2 months later...