SLP Drug Testing

Does anybody know if we are drug tested during our master's degree and at what point that takes place? Before doing our placements? Do you need to do it before working in the hospitals? Schools? Both?  This really sucks.

Drug testing will be in your employment contract. If you do not agree to it then you would have the option to turn down the job. I didn't know there was drug testing for the MA/MS but technically a school would be within its rights to do so as long as you were told about it ahead of time. And by 'told' I mean that it would likely be in the student handbook or something like that, they do not have to tell you directly.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

They would drug test us after long weekends and holidays all the time in the military. I've also been drug tested for almost every job I've had. But they would drug test during the hiring process and never again. I didn't know grad schools did this though. 

But I could care less if they do. Alcohol only stays in your system for a few hours. Weed for a few weeks, but no one should have a problem staying away from weed for a few weeks. If you do anything other than alcohol and weed, maybe you should reevaluate your grad school plans and try to take care of your little problem first. 

Edited by JoeyBoy718

Drug testing in itself should NOT be your worry.  

If you're asking about what kind of work or internship sites require drug testing to be eligible to even walk in the building as a graduate student, here is what I know.  There is a local hospital that my grad program services for adolescents with language problems (and usually other behavior, ODD, etc. problems).  They require a background check, drug screen, and all immunizations that a hospital site would require.  Also, a hospital and clinical (combo) site where I am hoping to get my full-time internship requires all of the immunizations including varicella (chicken pox) or lab results showing immunity, Hep B, meningitis, updated flu shot, TB testing, MMR, DPT, etc.  Most of these immunizations (if you were born in the US), you will have except for flu vaccine and Hep B vaccine.  I have to get lab results for chicken pox because I didn't get a vaccine - I had Chicken Pox as a child.  I also have to get a FBI background check and go through basic drug screening.  

I don't know if that answers your question, but if you are concerned about drug screening, consider why you are concerned.  Is it the 'at your own cost' part that worries you?  Or is it the fact that you participate in recreational use of illicit drugs?  If that is the case... please consider why you are wanting to pursue further education in an allied health profession, and that you have an immense role in changing people's lives.  No amount of drug use is acceptable on the job, and since we are graduate student clinicians from day 1 in most grad programs, no amount of drug use is acceptable in your clinical practicum.  Just a thought.  Don't want to make assumptions, so I kind of hope it's the cost bit, or that you just wanted to know what sites require it... hopefully.

Best of luck to you. 

I think we should avoid judging people. There is no good reason that I am aware of to allow alcohol use and not allow marijuana use, it is a ridiculous legal line in the sand. If one can drink and be an SLP then one can smoke weed and be an SLP, both in moderation of course, and not while on the job. The law is the only thing that makes one acceptable and one unacceptable. I can understand why folks could feel that a drug test is intrusive. That said, marijuana is illegal so one will need to decide whether the pursuit of personal freedoms or a career in SLP is more important. If the concern is with a 'harder' drug then I would agree to seek help.

i believe most hospital placements require a drug screen, in addition to TB skin test, flu shot, vaccine boosters, CPR class, etc. Most all placements that i know of (university clinic, public schools, hospitals, SNF) require a background check and possibly fingerprinting.

Your school/work will usually give you a checklist of things to do with plenty of time to do everything :)  

I don't want to make assumptions or judge, but once you become a clinician you'll automatically want to be seen as "professional".  I've already run into clients TWICE at the grocery store-- I won't start wearing business casual to Walmart, and i won't be afraid to be seen with a bottle of wine in my grocery cart, but i WILL think twice about running errands in a too-tight tanktop or loudly gossiping about my dating life in the aisles of Target.  When you start grad school, you're not a college kid anymore.  You're a professional who is respected and trusted by families to help their loved ones communicate :) 

Prior to grad school, I worked in several school districts.  Some required a "work physical" including a drug test.  Others did not.  I did not know which ones did until after the contracts were signed.  All required vaccination records, TB skin tests, and a complete background check.

In my program, any time clients or their families are in the building, we are "on the job".  This is the standard, even if the client is not our own.  We are representatives of the service provided by the department and all of its students.  We are expected to be 100% clean and professional from the time we walk into the department until the time we leave.  Even after hours, our supervisor told us that behavior is to be kept in check.  Our personal lives are to be kept as private as possible.

Section IV-E of the ASHA Code of Ethics states: "Individuals shall not engage in any other form of conduct that adversely reflects on the professions or on the individual's fitness to serve persons professionally."

Even though judgements shouldn't be made, the reality is, people will judge- your clients, your supervisors, your future employers, and your fellow clinicians.  It is in your professional duty to abide by the Code of Ethics as set forth by ASHA, especially since we are providing healthcare services.

Our supervisors advised that we cut down or eliminate any behaviors that could call into question or damage our professional clinical practice; even something like smoking cigarettes.

Imagine you are a clinician treating a voice client for a rough voice. You are a regular smoker and your own voice sounds rough, if not rougher than your clients'.  As part of a vocal hygiene program, you have advised your client to cut back on smoking or quit altogether in order to achieve a smoother vocal quality.  How will you convince your client to trust your professional judgement?  What will you say if your client shoots back, "But YOU smoke!  Why should I quit?"  Why is it acceptable for you to have a rough voice but not your client?  (If you tell the client he/she can have a rough voice, then you've lost the client.)

It all comes down to your credibility as a professional.  I once had a doctor who was visibly obese with audible, heavy breathing, tell me I needed to get more cardiovascular exercise.  I was training for a 5k at the time.  I immediately switched doctors.  I'm sure he can recite a textbook of medical knowledge.  But, I didn't feel comfortable putting my healthcare needs in his hands when he couldn't even take care of his own.  Ultimately, your clients and their families are putting their speech, voice, and swallowing healthcare in your hands.  If they don't trust you as a clinician, you've lost the client.

While you may not have a problem with a clinician who smokes (drinks, or does other behaviors others find questionable), clients may be bothered by it and may seek out a different clinician.  Is the drug use worth the potential loss of a client and income?