WWS Policy Memo Tips?

DreamTeam03

I'm currently writing a policy memo for WWS. Full disclosure: I don't have a ton of experience writing policy memos.

WWS says they're looking for something that reflects your professional experience (of which I have little and all in the field of education), my interests, and my potential field of study. In other words, it seems to me they would prefer something more local in scope.

I was considering writing a memo on how to restructure

1) the nonprofit I intern with so that its programming was better able to help the people it aims to help,

2) the government-sponsored program I worked with to teach English overseas to more effectively and efficiently reach its goals (this would be the easiest to write and, while it would require some research, would probably require the least),

or

3) a POTUS-appointed position so that the office the position overseas is less bureaucratic and more effective in achieving its goals (this is the one I'm passionate about, but I know relatively little and would require the most research)

I really would like to write on the third topic, but it seems to me that WWS would like to read something more like the second. Any thoughts? Am I thinking about this too much?

I'm currently writing a policy memo for WWS. Full disclosure: I don't have a ton of experience writing policy memos.

WWS says they're looking for something that reflects your professional experience (of which I have little and all in the field of education), my interests, and my potential field of study. In other words, it seems to me they would prefer something more local in scope.

I was considering writing a memo on how to restructure

1) the nonprofit I intern with so that its programming was better able to help the people it aims to help,

2) the government-sponsored program I worked with to teach English overseas to more effectively and efficiently reach its goals (this would be the easiest to write and, while it would require some research, would probably require the least),

or

3) a POTUS-appointed position so that the office the position overseas is less bureaucratic and more effective in achieving its goals (this is the one I'm passionate about, but I know relatively little and would require the most research)

I really would like to write on the third topic, but it seems to me that WWS would like to read something more like the second. Any thoughts? Am I thinking about this too much?

Hi DreamTeam,

It does sound a little like you're overthinking it. It's hard to advise you on what topic to write about without more details regarding what you currently do in your role.

Perhaps seeing some policy memos will help? Here are a few links I found on the internet that I think will be helpful in writing your memo once you decide what to write about:

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/var/ezp_site/storage/fckeditor/file/pdfs/degree-programs/registrar/sample-policy-memo.pdf

Great quick guide on how to write a policy memo: http://www.mm.cs.sunysb.edu/300/lectures/HOW_TO_WRITE_A_POLICY_MEMO.pdf

Great tips on writing a policy memo from Maxwell school: http://wilcoxen.maxwell.insightworks.com/pages/275.html..

Best of luck! That memo can be a pain...

Kaneisha

One other question on this: Should we be writing it as ourselves (e.g. "To: POTUS From: MY NAME") or should we take on a different persona, such as "To: POTUS From: US State Department Bureau of African Affairs"?

Thanks Kaneisha! Those are awesome links--thanks! You're absolutely right. I'm totally over-thinking it haha

@bktz Obviously I have no idea, but I get the sense they're not that worried about that. I just had my own name in the "Sent" box.

Edited by DreamTeam03

Any of the above options are fine!  I would say maybe speak from your own personal/work experience as much as possible as then you can try and bring your own unique perspective to bear.

I would also recommend checking this out: http://wwsadmissionsblog.com/2013/11/12/are-you-a-competitive-applicant-for-graduate-study-at-the-woodrow-wilson-school/

Make sure you emphasize how you are committed to public service and can demonstrate that from your work/personal life.

Any of the above options are fine!  I would say maybe speak from your own personal/work experience as much as possible as then you can try and bring your own unique perspective to bear.

I would also recommend checking this out: http://wwsadmissionsblog.com/2013/11/12/are-you-a-competitive-applicant-for-graduate-study-at-the-woodrow-wilson-school/

Make sure you emphasize how you are committed to public service and can demonstrate that from your work/personal life.

what's the password?

• 4 years later...
On 11/23/2013 at 2:05 AM, DreamTeam03 said:

@bktz Obviously I have no idea, but I get the sense they're not that worried about that. I just had my own name in the "Sent" box.

Does anyone have any idea on this? Firstly is it even necessary to say TO: WHOEVER, FROM: ME

Or can we just introduce a topic and move on form there? My question is, does it have to be addressed to someone?