How many is too many?

HerrDBoo

Is there such a thing as applying to too many schools? I have approx. 12 on my list. The only reason I would say it is too many would be simply because it might dilute your focus from a few specific programs that you are pulling to get into. Although realistically, I want to get into all of them, or they wouldn't be on my list. 

Thoughts?

Edited by HerrDBoo

You should probably post this in a field specific thread. 12 might be outrageous in some fields, but in others 15-20 may be the norm! In my opinion, 12 sounds just about right for IR MA programs. 

Edited by Cesare

I applied to 7, I would have liked to have added NYU to my list but I couldn't figure out of my POI was taking students and so I decided not to for financial reasons. I also applied to one MA program. Of course, one of my letter writers hasn't submitted to two of my schools with deadlines at midnight and I can't get in contact with her... so maybe I only applied to 5 schools! 

My interests are so specific that I actually applied to 2 different 'research interest' schools - because my first topic only had 2 schools that fit well! Now, I love my other topic, so I would be ecstatic to get in, but I think if 10-12 schools all fit into one or two interests then it wouldn't be too many. 

I had 11 on my list originally, but after apply to a couple and starting the applications for a couple more, I crossed two off my list already just because they didn't seem appropriate once I looked again. I say aim for it, and then if you miss some deadlines, decide they're not as awesome fit, too much money, etc. then at least you're still applying to plenty. Even if you do apply to all 12 though, especially if they have low acceptance rates like many PhD programs, then it seems reasonable.

I think the determination of applying to "too many" is defined more along the lines of whether or not you're considering knocking over a convenience store to pay for the application fees rather than a numerical value.

Now, there is such a thing as accepting too many admission offers.

I applied to only 4 schools, but that's because I had a lot of constraints on what I thought were acceptable programs and locations for my interests and personal situation. So, no, 12 isn't too much if they all fit your requirements.

Edited by NatureGurl