The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

What I hate is the period of perfect clarity that you get AFTER you apply (or don't apply) as to what isn't actually a good fit afterall, or what would have been a good fit that you didn't actually apply to. Oh well. 

I applied to CUNY, Duke, UPENN, U of Michigan, Northwestern, Brown, Boston Uni, Rutgers, and Harvard all anthro, and Northeastern Sociology PhD programs. Haven't heard from anything except a rejection from Duke except an email from my POI in UPenn. I'm so nervous and kinda losing hope about them. Should I stay positive folks?

I had a bunch of results pour in after the 15th of February last year. :) Keep an eye out.

Anyone else hold out hope at the end of each day because your schools are in different time zones? Haha.

Haha yes! I'm checking my email at midnight thinking "well, it's only 9pm in California... they could be working late finishing admissions"

Haha yes! I'm checking my email at midnight thinking "well, it's only 9pm in California... they could be working late finishing admissions"

As an International Applicant, that's even more true for me! I can't sleep at night thinking about how I may be getting an email while I sleep.

As an International Applicant, that's even more true for me! I can't sleep at night thinking about how I may be getting an email while I sleep.

I am in the same boat!!! I stay up til like 1 or 2 in the night and it's only past noon in the States, then I HAVE TO go to bed because I have to wake up at 6:30 for my job (I would've kept waiting if I didn't have a job).

Needless to say, I did not get much sleep theses days and waking up to bad news is the WORST

CUNY people: I don't know how I missed this before, but apparently 23 people enrolled Fall 2013?!

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Anthropology/Arrivals-and-Departures

Isn't that an incredible cohort size, or am I missing something? This changes nothing for me; I still very much desire a CUNY acceptance. :D

I am in the same boat!!! I stay up til like 1 or 2 in the night and it's only past noon in the States, then I HAVE TO go to bed because I have to wake up at 6:30 for my job (I would've kept waiting if I didn't have a job).

Needless to say, I did not get much sleep theses days and waking up to bad news is the WORST

Same here. I have to get up at 5.30. I 'try' to get some sleep for that. Can't risk falling asleep at the job right now!

Checking the mail in the morning has become such a scary thing for me nowadays.

Generally should it be taken as a good sign to get a notification from the financial aid department that they have received your paperwork and are processing it?

WHOOO??

CUNY people: I don't know how I missed this before, but apparently 23 people enrolled Fall 2013?!

http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Anthropology/Arrivals-and-Departures

Isn't that an incredible cohort size, or am I missing something? This changes nothing for me; I still very much desire a CUNY acceptance. :D

If I remember correctly, the CUNY cohorts are generally larger and eventually become the backbone of a distributed teaching workforce across the CUNY campuses.  I personally have a lot of respect for their system.  I know funding has improved this year, but am not sure whether that is changing cohort size.  I do think I noticed that sociology had a lot of results already, making me think cohorts might be the same this year.  Crossing my fingers!!