Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Attention all accepted and wait listed at Brandeis. There was a miscommunication between the graduate school and the department regarding funding. In the initial offer, most people were offered a 50% merit-based scholarship, with the good prospects of a significant need-based scholarship shortly thereafter. However, the merit-based scholarship is 25% while the need-based is (in most cases) another 25% of tuition. While that comes out to 50% funding, it eliminates the chance of a need-based scholarship on top of that.  I confirmed this information with the department.

Attention all accepted and wait listed at Brandeis. There was a miscommunication between the graduate school and the department regarding funding. In the initial offer, most people were offered a 50% merit-based scholarship, with the good prospects of a significant need-based scholarship shortly thereafter. However, the merit-based scholarship is 25% while the need-based is (in most cases) another 25% of tuition. While that comes out to 50% funding, it eliminates the chance of a need-based scholarship on top of that.  I confirmed this information with the department.

That has to be super frustrating! Declining Brandeis?

That has to be super frustrating! Declining Brandeis?

It is super frustrating. But, even still, I've got a great impression of their program from current grads, and their placement is great. Given my other offers, Brandeis still comes out on top for me. I'm still weighing some options and figuring out some financial details, but it seems likely that I'll accept their offer.

Just got off the Purdue wait-list for funding. I should be making my decision in the next day or two. 

Congrats! I met two guys from your MA program at Columbia and they are really cool! I root for Milwaukee now!!

Edited by Johannes14

Just heard back that I was accepted to CalState LA. No word on funding yet...does anyone know if they typically offer much funding? I haven't seemed to find good info on that...

Congratulations! Both SFSU and CSULA are part of the CSU system, so both are free for low-income California residents. So, I'd recommend establishing residency in your first year, such that in your second year at least, tuition is free. SFSU has quite a few teaching positions available, and a ton of scholarships that philosophy students are typically competitive for. It's also a very friendly and supportive department with great placement. I highly recommend it.

Accepted to UCLA...in shock...already accepted my offer. 

True story: the other day, I was grading midterms in green and I thought to myself, "Man, I hope something works out for greencoloredpencil." So glad that it did.

Congrats!!

Edited by perpetualapplicant

Got of GSU's waitlist! Fuck yeah!

Awesome! Really happy for you! Any chance for funding at all?

Edit: Saw your answer an the other thread. Congrats on the funding package, too!

Edited by dgswaim