Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I think this might be right many tines, but I think we have good evidence that Duke has not made their waitlist public. Several posted acceptances but none posted waitlists. I don't think we should be especially fearful/give up hope until people post acceptances and waitlists. Until then, all you know is that you aren't first round.

By and large from my experience, although it can take time for the acceptances to trickle out (even using the "first round" terminology, it can take a few days for the first round acceptances to be sent out), you should know where you stand by the end. From my experience, by this time students have been rejected who are going to be rejected, and everyone else not accepted will be put on the waitlist. Most of the time you should be made known, though sometimes you have to inquire. Particularly from those programs that carry humongous waitlists (like UConn) they probably won't let you know, but if you email they'll tell you that you're waitlisted.

So, waitlistees should know fairly soon their status by the end of the first round acceptances. However, you'll often be stuck at this spot for a long time, because movement doesn't really happen until April 15th when people have to committ to a school. Between now and then, admitted applicants will sit on offers while they wait for their other decisions to come in so that they can make their decision.

Yes, if they release only acceptances without waitlists and rejections, it would be possible that I am still waitlisted, as you say. But if they release both the acceptances and the waitlist at this point, those who are not among them might be  automatically counted as being rejected, though the rejection notification will come much later. This is really painful. The sense and realization of hopelessness is so frustrating.

Edited by Platonist

I received one of the Berkeley acceptances by e-mail today. First school I've heard back from, still stunned, unspeakably excited.

Just as some of us expected!  They're still sending some out today.  Congrats to you!

Hey guys,

I'm another guy attending the philosophy application party. I was told to avoid these forums, but it's pretty much impossible to keep my mind off my applications, so I had to lurk. And now I've joined.

Hey guys,

I'm another guy attending the philosophy application party. I was told to avoid these forums, but it's pretty much impossible to keep my mind off my applications, so I had to lurk. And now I've joined.

Any word on stats/interests/where you are applying too? I understand if you wanna keep it to yourself but it's nice to know what the competition is, lol! Also Good Luck!

My stats would probably give me away, but I don't see why that would be a problem.

GRE: 166V / 163 Q / not-great AW
GPA: 3.96 cumulative, 4.0 (philosophy), 4.0 (2nd major: math)

AOI: metaphysics, general philosophy of science, philosophy of math

Other Shit: best philosophy essay of the year award, undergrad research assistant award (in applied math)

Hi All,

I'm another lurker officially adding myself to this thread. Haven't heard anything and pretty freaked out. I have an MA from a top program but this is my first time applying to PhD programs. And yes, I know pessimist does not have an "e" in English; I'm a native French speaker. Good luck to all.

Just to clarify my post on the results page: I'm the most recent UIC admit, and while I received notification of acceptance today, the phone call was sort of scheduled in advance over email. So, don't take the post to be too indicative of whether other notifications of UIC acceptance might take place today.

(Also, wahoooo, I'm really excited about this offer!)

Hey guys,

I'm one of the waitlisted applicants at UNC Chapel Hill. The email was super polite as I and the other post mentioned. It is a "short, unranked waitlist." I've only been accepted to Duke so far (which I am super excited for) but I prefer attending UNC, so I don't know if I will be taking myself off the waitlist anytime soon. Just filling you all in.

Best of luck!

Hey guys,

I'm one of the waitlisted applicants at UNC Chapel Hill. The email was super polite as I and the other post mentioned. It is a "short, unranked waitlist." I've only been accepted to Duke so far (which I am super excited for) but I prefer attending UNC, so I don't know if I will be taking myself off the waitlist anytime soon. Just filling you all in.

Best of luck!

Did you mean to say, "I've only been accepted to Duke so far"?  It's just an odd thing to say, frankly.

Did you mean to say, "I've only been accepted to Duke so far"?  It's just an odd thing to say, frankly.

I agree it's a strange thing to say. But what I also note is precisely why waitlists are so important: some people are getting multiple offers and can only accept a maximum of one, so people on waitlists do get in sometimes!

Bummer. Got the rejection from UNC. Not the greatest fit (at least that's my rationalization ;) ), so not entirely unpredicted. Best of luck to everyone who applied there!

You received an email? I'm still waiting, assuming the same as you... but nothing.  wonder how they do this. 

Well obviously in my head the emphasis was not "only" or in "so far", but yes I meant to say that, so I'll take that as a compliment! And I totally mean no offense (in case any was taken). My previous post was just meant to shed some light as I know we all appreciate knowing what is going on. 

My stats would probably give me away, but I don't see why that would be a problem.

GRE: 166V / 163 Q / not-great AW

GPA: 3.96 cumulative, 4.0 (philosophy), 4.0 (2nd major: math)

AOI: metaphysics, general philosophy of science, philosophy of math

Other Shit: best philosophy essay of the year award, undergrad research assistant award (in applied math)

I just saw someone chose philosophy of math on the poll, I assume that was you :) . Welcome!

May I ask what programs are you applying to?