Think I blew my chances :(

jedi12

I didn't realize that you are supposed to contact POIs beforehand and follow up after applying.  I submitted reasonbly good apps, I thought.  But now I see that lots of people had direct contact.  Obviously, I should have done that.  But I didn't find this site until after it was too late.  Anyone else not contact them and still get in?

Different field, but fear not! That does not destroy your chances by any means. Contacting before is more a way of gathering more information about programs. It's possible that you've applied to programs that won't be taking students doing your type of work, yes. But if you're a better candidate than someone else who did contact them, you'll still be the better candidate.

There were a couple POIs that I didn't contact. Our chances aren't blown though! It'd be silly of them to completely ignore our applications and hard work for the past 4 years just because we didn't send in a preliminary email.  You'll be great!

Don't stress about this! Most pre-application emails get responses like: "Yes, I am accepting applicants. Good luck!" Occasionally, I spoke with profs more about our shared research interest, but it definitely wasn't the norm. 

I've even asked professors about this practice and heard mixed feelings. Some didn't like being contacted beforehand and other did. Either way, I don't think they discount applicants if they haven't heard from them yet.

Ha, yeah there was a school which specifically told me to contact POIs, but by the time I read it (it was in the application) it was the week before the application deadline and I felt weird about how late it was, so I ignored it... I'm probably not getting in there. :unsure:

However, it is completely feasible for you to be accepted somewhere where you didn't have contact with the POI. Really, it's not a huge deal. Most of them just say "look forward to reading your application" or something like that anyway, it doesn't really give you an edge unless you have some crazy connection.

Any prof who faults you for not following an arbitrary unwritten norm (that many profs disagree with anyway) isn't somebody you want to work with.

ETA: Unless it's like the above, where it was actually a written expectation on their application. But that's unusual.

Edited by lewin

I wrote to professors and many of them didn't write back, even when I rewrote to them.  It seems as if some don't really want to be bothered.  The professor in the lab I was working in actually had her lab manager respond to all her emails.  She actually hated when prospective students write to her.  I think it depends on the professor.  I got an interview invite from a professor who didn't respond to my email, so I don't think it really matters.  I mostly just wrote to ask if they were taking new students so that I wouldn't waste my time and money applying if they weren't.  I never followed up after submitting my applications, but I still got interviews.  Plus, I don't think professors really remember everyone who writes to them anyways.  If your application stands out, they wouldn't reject you just because you didn't contact them first.