Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

i called the department today and the coordinator said we will be getting our results next week.

Sounds like many of the Counselling Psychology programs in Canada have yet to send out their decisions. From what I gather, only University of Calgary and University of Alberta have sent out notifications (for the PhD in Counselling Psychology, anyway). I'm waiting to hear from OISE, and while slightly dark and twisty, it makes me feel a little better knowing that other schools haven't send out decisions. BUT it will have to happen sooner or later, right? I mean, tomorrow is April. Trying not to freak out. *bites nails, goes to check e-mail again*

Is anyone's application still "In Review" for McGill's English MA? I know some people in this thread were accepted a couple weeks ago, but mine is still in review. I'm thinking maybe I've been wait listed? Or am I just going to be rejected after all this wait? I tried emailing McGill, but received no reply. Anyone in this same situation? I've received acceptances to the other schools I applied to, so I'm wondering why McGill's admissions seem to be so slow.

Hi Decaf,

My understanding is that the whole SSHRC application and adjudication process for the CGS-M has been changed, starting with this batch of applicants. For the first time, there is no national-level adjudication. Also, while in the past one's application went to one's current university's central adjudication committee (which for me would be Vancouver Island University), now it goes to up to 5 of the Universities you have applied to (which, for me, are UofCalgary and UofToronto). The CGS-M is no longer transferrable to other Canadian universities, and of the Universities one has applied to, one receives SSHRC offers at the individual University...so it will be possible for me to receive 2 offers, one from UofC, and one from UofT. If I were to receive one at UofC, and none at UofT, and I decided to go to UofT, then I would not have a CGS-M. Anyhow, thought I would explain this for future reference, at it has changed the game completely this year. We also have to do the Canadian Commons CV this year, which we were all super psyched about...not.

Thanks for that info. Yea it was a funny email. I gather from an old friend who graduated from OISE (both her MA and PhD in Counselling Psychology (now called Clinical and Counselling Psychology) that the institution is struggling to put together guaranteed minimum funding for programs in their first year...not sure if your program offers guaranteed minimum funding but this email might be a not so subtle way of letting us know we have SSHRCs but they just can't announce it yet...and don't want to loose our interest in their program (due to the fact that their offers are given much later than many other programs). Anyhow, I could be reading too much into it, but it is a very good sign in either case. Best of luck finding out on Tuesday if you get your SSHRC and on getting in to OISE!

Best of luck to you also! I received unofficial notice that I have been accepted to the University of Guelph (Clinical Psychology), so it will be interesting to see when OISE gets their results out and what the news will be. Exciting times! Best of luck re your SHHRC results also!

Best of luck to you also! I received unofficial notice that I have been accepted to the University of Guelph (Clinical Psychology), so it will be interesting to see when OISE gets their results out and what the news will be. Exciting times! Best of luck re your SHHRC results also!

Congratulations on your acceptance into Guelph's Clinical Psych program! Also, best of luck with OISE as well. I'm hanging tight right with you!

Congratulations on your acceptance into Guelph's Clinical Psych program! Also, best of luck with OISE as well. I'm hanging tight right with you!

Thanks so much. Best of luck to you also! Did you apply to the Counselling Psych Program at OISE?

Thanks so much. Best of luck to you also! Did you apply to the Counselling Psych Program at OISE?

I did. That's the last school I'm waiting to hear from. I applied to the PhD program there. I've been accepted onto the waitlist at University of Alberta's PhD Counselling Psych program, so we'll see what happens there.

Not for me, my application still says "in review" - guess that's bad news?

The status will stay "In Review" until the official offer from GPS will arrive. You will get an email with the subject "Significant decision made" when you have been accepted and the status at uApply will also change from "In Review" to "Decision Made". :)

Hi Decaf,

My understanding is that the whole SSHRC application and adjudication process for the CGS-M has been changed, starting with this batch of applicants. For the first time, there is no national-level adjudication. Also, while in the past one's application went to one's current university's central adjudication committee (which for me would be Vancouver Island University), now it goes to up to 5 of the Universities you have applied to (which, for me, are UofCalgary and UofToronto). The CGS-M is no longer transferrable to other Canadian universities, and of the Universities one has applied to, one receives SSHRC offers at the individual University...so it will be possible for me to receive 2 offers, one from UofC, and one from UofT. If I were to receive one at UofC, and none at UofT, and I decided to go to UofT, then I would not have a CGS-M. Anyhow, thought I would explain this for future reference, at it has changed the game completely this year. We also have to do the Canadian Commons CV this year, which we were all super psyched about...not.

Ah, okay. I'm PhD, so the process is different. I also forgot that they changed it for the MA this year. It sounds like you may be in luck, then. Surely, a program wouldn't send you a congratulations for that and then not accept you and give you the award! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Where else are you waiting for? I'm waiting for three but realistically only one...

I received acceptance to Waterloo and Toronto this week. McMaster said I'm on the waiting list and they're following up with students to see if any are rejecting. I called and emailed Queens, but no reply.

Trying to make my decision now. Pretty sure I'll choose Toronto, but I was guaranteed funding at York. At Toronto I'll have to apply for a TA position and it still won't match the amount York has offered. Need to chat with my references before I make anything official.

I officially accepted my offer at Queen's for their MPA Program! Possibly the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Has anyone else accepted their offer for this program? :)

I officially accepted my offer at Queen's for their MPA Program! Possibly the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Has anyone else accepted their offer for this program? :)

I have accepted Queen's MPA offer as well last week! However, now I'm in a bit of a bind as I just got a fully funded (I would have to spend 0$ during the whole time) from my backup (Central European University's one year MA in public policy). Am I completely delusional to still prefer Queens?

I want to work in Canada/North America after and am afraid an european degree would hurt my chances of doing that. I'm also not sure about CEU's reputation, even though it's ranked pretty well in the social sciences. Although a year of living in Budapest for free does sound great. Not sure what to do.