Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

I received acceptance to Waterloo and Toronto this week. McMaster said I'm on the waiting list and they're following up with students to see if any are rejecting. I called and emailed Queens, but no reply.

Trying to make my decision now. Pretty sure I'll choose Toronto, but I was guaranteed funding at York. At Toronto I'll have to apply for a TA position and it still won't match the amount York has offered. Need to chat with my references before I make anything official.

Figured you might be receiving an offer from Waterloo since I know some offers were declined late last week. Congrats on both offers though! 

Congratulations to everyone accepting offers! What a thrilling and gut-wrenching experience!

I'm still waiting to hear from OISE. Checking the SGS website more often than I should. It still says "under review". Trying to stay positive, but as each day passes I'm less optimistic.

I have accepted Queen's MPA offer as well last week! However, now I'm in a bit of a bind as I just got a fully funded (I would have to spend 0$ during the whole time) from my backup (Central European University's one year MA in public policy). Am I completely delusional to still prefer Queens?

I want to work in Canada/North America after and am afraid an european degree would hurt my chances of doing that. I'm also not sure about CEU's reputation, even though it's ranked pretty well in the social sciences. Although a year of living in Budapest for free does sound great. Not sure what to do.

That is an incredible offer and opportunity! I was ultimately deciding between Queen's and Carleton's public admin programs...and even though a lot of people (including my references) pushed for Carleton (better funding, better co-op opportunities, better location) I just had a better gut feeling about Queen's. I applied and was accepted to 5 schools, and even though I haven't heard anything about Queen's funding yet (apparently they don't tell you until after you accept?!), I just felt for me it was the strongest and best program.

Maybe I'm being slightly biased (as I know nothing about CEU) but I feel like if you want an opportunity to work in Canadian public policy, going to a highly reputable Canadian school would be best suited for your career goals. Best case scenario, Queen's is a highly respected university on the international scale for public policy so if you're looking for international experiences after it could very well help you in the long run too! 

Congrats on your acceptances! Maybe we will be classmates! :)

That is an incredible offer and opportunity! I was ultimately deciding between Queen's and Carleton's public admin programs...and even though a lot of people (including my references) pushed for Carleton (better funding, better co-op opportunities, better location) I just had a better gut feeling about Queen's. I applied and was accepted to 5 schools, and even though I haven't heard anything about Queen's funding yet (apparently they don't tell you until after you accept?!), I just felt for me it was the strongest and best program.

Maybe I'm being slightly biased (as I know nothing about CEU) but I feel like if you want an opportunity to work in Canadian public policy, going to a highly reputable Canadian school would be best suited for your career goals. Best case scenario, Queen's is a highly respected university on the international scale for public policy so if you're looking for international experiences after it could very well help you in the long run too! 

Congrats on your acceptances! Maybe we will be classmates! :)

I completely understand what you mean! I had a great gut feeling about Queen's since the beginning. Their faculty seems to truly be interested in the success of their students. I am strongly leaning towards Queen's even though a lot of people think I'm crazy to not go for the money. Who knows, maybe we'll get funding!

Congrats and hope to see you in the fall (or maybe at the welcome event)! :)

I received acceptance to Waterloo and Toronto this week. McMaster said I'm on the waiting list and they're following up with students to see if any are rejecting. I called and emailed Queens, but no reply.

Trying to make my decision now. Pretty sure I'll choose Toronto, but I was guaranteed funding at York. At Toronto I'll have to apply for a TA position and it still won't match the amount York has offered. Need to chat with my references before I make anything official.

Hey milkman,

Congrats on your offers! I can't speak to Waterloo/McMaster/Queens. But, I did my MA at York and am in the 2nd year of a PhD program at U of T, so if you're crafting some neurotic pro/con lists and want some input, feel free to PM me with some questions!

Just got accepted to UBC Counselling Psych! I am so excited!!!!!

Oooh, congratulations Jenny! Such exciting news! I'm doing a happy dance over here for you.

Oooh, congratulations Jenny! Such exciting news! I'm doing a happy dance over here for you.

Thank you! I've been waiting nearly 6 months for this decision so I'm so relieved and excited!

Just got my McGill Counselling Psych acceptance (professional/internship concentration). Still planning on going to UWO though if anyone's on the McGill waitlist.

Edited by Djentbot

Has anyone heard anything from UNBC (uni. Of northern British Columbia)? I know it's still early for them, as I spoke with admissions who said results will be mid to late April, but there is only so long that I can wait! I've applied to the MA NRES (environmental studies).

Just got my McGill Counselling Psych acceptance (professional/internship concentration). Still planning on going to UWO though if anyone's on the McGill waitlist.

Congratualtions, Djentbot! UWO has a great program. All the best.

Has anyone heard from the University of Ottawa??

I applied for the Masters in Public and International Affairs but I'm aware I should be patient, since I'm an international student and submitted my application after our Dec. 1st deadline.

I just checked my Infoweb account and it still says my application is being processed. Do you know when should I be getting an answer?

I'm still crossing my fingers so everything turns out well.

Best regards and happy weekend to you all ^_^

Anybody hear from uvic regarding the MPA (online stream) yet for Fall 2014? I know the decisions were going to be made within the first two weeks of April and since this is the second week, I was wondering if anybody heard as of yet? I wonder how many applications they get fo rthe online stream?

Edited by MichelleMac

I heard from OISE today - it's a no. *pout* But there's still hope. I'm on a wait list at University of Alberta, so you never know. *crosses fingers and toes*

Anybody hear from uvic regarding the MPA (online stream) yet for Fall 2014? I know the decisions were going to be made within the first two weeks of April and since this is the second week, I was wondering if anybody heard as of yet? I wonder how many applications they get fo rthe online stream?

I'm waiting for the On Campus results from UVic :( I was told early April, so I'm hoping everyone (on campus and online) hears soon! Good luck!

I spoke to them a couple weeks ago and I was told that the online stream applications are being reviewed at the beginning of April. In the results page it looks like last year someone received their acceptance April 17th. Hope its not too much longer.

I received an email saying that they

I spoke to them a couple weeks ago and I was told that the online stream applications are being reviewed at the beginning of April. In the results page it looks like last year someone received their acceptance April 17th. Hope its not too much longer.

I received an email from them stating that they would be making decisions last week & this week. At least no news is good news so far! I saw the same thing with regard to the April 17th date. I'm getting anxious! lol

I just accepted an offer for an English PhD at University of Waterloo. I'm very excited and would love to hear from people in the English department, if there are any, or in the Humanities/Social Sciences in general. 

I just accepted an offer for an English PhD at University of Waterloo. I'm very excited and would love to hear from people in the English department, if there are any, or in the Humanities/Social Sciences in general. 

UW undergrad here, unfortunately I don't know anything about the english department other than it's physically right next to the econ department  :P

Congrats! Did you get an email letting you know to check? I'm getting anxious! lol

I got an email too, came in at midnight EST but my status changed before the email. So you should keep checking your application status :)

I'm not waterloo, but I was accepted to the English department's XDM MA program last year and had the opportunity to meet a number of people from the English PHD program at a conference last year. I was disappointed I couldn't accept my spot there, but I was accepted to a phd program elsewhere. My perception of the english program is that they do a lot of interesting and interdisciplinary things especially as concerns technology and media. If you're interested in a digital humanities approach to english and looking at digital/multimedia texts it seems like a good place. If it strikes you as a good fit and you're ok with living in waterloo then it seems like a good choice to me. Really it might depend a lot on your research interests though. 

I just checked my online status and it says decision selected :-D

Congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back, I'm assuming I'm relying on someone to decline before they select me. All this waiting is killing me! haha