Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Accepted by U of T as given advance notice by my POI through e-mail.  Funding appears to be $15k + tuition + health plan + incidental fees (whatever those are), and a bonus top up if I get some prestigious awards.  I'm not sure if this is standard for everyone, but she seemed pretty confident telling me that the letter she attached to the email was indicative of what I, and others, would be getting.

Congrats Ancient_DNA!! Sounds like a great offer. 

I'm waiting on word for a UofT MA in Anthro, so nice to know that the answer might be coming along soon!

Thanks disba! I'm still very unsure of where I want to go! Have you accepted your offer yet?? :)

I haven't yet, I'm still waiting on my top choice (where I did my undergrad and where I currently live) to either accept me or reject me, before I make the decision. As much as I would love to move across the country, I have things that would be better left where I am (namely my horse haha)

Finally just got my rejection from one of my McGill apps. I was kind of expecting it and am expecting the other one to get rejected soon, but it still sucks (especially since I know people with lower GPAs and no extracurriculars, etc. who were accepted!). #soreloser 

I don't even know what I'm going to do if the only school I get into is my safety school... =s

As someone on the Queen's MPA waiting list, might I suggest Carleton? ;)

Honestly, I think they're both wonderful programs-- and both are very highly regarded. The advantage of Carleton being that you're right in the seat of government and it will probably be easier to secure the kind of connections that can land you a job in government later, if you're aiming for that. You're liable to get well-connected either way, but based on my internship at the Canadian Senate I would have to say that more than half of the people I spoke to in staffing positions graduated from Carleton's MAPA.

Hi, I am curious to know how you found out that you were on the waitlist for Queen's MPA. I am kind of getting nervous because I knew some people had received acceptances to Queen's MPA, but I hadn't yet heard about a waitlist. Also, do you happen to know how many people are waitlisted?

Hi, I am curious to know how you found out that you were on the waitlist for Queen's MPA. I am kind of getting nervous because I knew some people had received acceptances to Queen's MPA, but I hadn't yet heard about a waitlist. Also, do you happen to know how many people are waitlisted?

I called the office and spoke to one of the employees, who essentially said that to her knowledge the first round acceptances had been sent out and that those who had not heard anything yet were on an unofficial waitlist for reassessment by the head of the department (who is away at a conference and will be back next week.) So we're unlikely to hear anything until a week today.

I didn't get a sense of the numbers, though, sorry! She wouldn't say.

Anyone here applied to York University - MA in Development Studies?

I applied. Emailed the department last week to know why things were being delayed. Received an offer from the Grad Chair almost immediately 

I applied. Emailed the department last week to know why things were being delayed. Received an offer from the Grad Chair almost immediately

Hi. I too emailed them and received nothing so far. Which address did you email to? Edited by icedtea

Hi. I too emailed them and received nothing so far. Which address did you email to?

I emailed the grad chair. I had been in correspondence with him during the application process, so I had his email address. You should maybe give him a call. It is listed on the website. They are usually prompt in replying their emails (especially those sent to the dept.'s address), so I don't know why they have not gotten back to you.

I emailed Orlene last week and the department address today around 8 hours ago and have not heard back. You think I should email the grad chair as well? Also I've never been able to talk to a real person on the phone through Orlene's line.

Hey guys,

Has anyone received any acceptance or rejection from GSPIA (University of Ottawa)??

I read that last year they e-mailed people in the first week of april, but I wanted to check out if anyone had already heard back from them.

Thanks!

I emailed Orlene last week and the department address today around 8 hours ago and have not heard back. You think I should email the grad chair as well? Also I've never been able to talk to a real person on the phone through Orlene's line.

Sure. His email address is listed on the faculty page. 

Well, it appears that I misunderstood the conversation that I had with the Queen's admissions office-- I thought I was being waitlisted for rejection, but apparently I heard wrong because I was fast-tracked for rejection. I wish that the woman on the phone had been more clear and hadn't got my spirits up on Friday... It makes this rejection that much more painful knowing that I thought I had a real chance all weekend.

Oh, but I was delighted to receive another form letter rejection, with 0% explanation, reason, or detail. It takes you three months to look at my application and you can't write two sentences about what can be improved? Thanks a fucking bunch. Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from McMaster and Toronto, but for some reason I see a barista position in my near future, ughhhhhhhhhh

Well, it appears that I misunderstood the conversation that I had with the Queen's admissions office-- I thought I was being waitlisted for rejection, but apparently I heard wrong because I was fast-tracked for rejection. I wish that the woman on the phone had been more clear and hadn't got my spirits up on Friday... It makes this rejection that much more painful knowing that I thought I had a real chance all weekend.

Oh, but I was delighted to receive another form letter rejection, with 0% explanation, reason, or detail. It takes you three months to look at my application and you can't write two sentences about what can be improved? Thanks a fucking bunch. Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from McMaster and Toronto, but for some reason I see a barista position in my near future, ughhhhhhhhhh

Sorry to hear that worrypower...sounds pretty harsh on the part of the administration. Do you have a POI at Queen's that you can contact to get some feedback on your application? Best of luck with McMaster and UofT, both really good options. 

FYI to everyone waiting on U of T's anthro department: they mailed the letters this week. I saw that my status changed on the SGS website, so I called the graduate admin assistant and she told me my admission status over the phone. So, if you're desperate to know (or need to know because of other expiring offers like me), then give them a call!

I am so sorry to hear this. Mac hasn't sent out acceptances yet, so you still have a really good shot at getting in! Don't take that Starbucks job yet!

Thank you for starting this thread. I can live vicariously through your responses while I wait for OISE (University of Toronto)'s decision.

I'm waitlisted for University of Alberta's PhD Counselling Psychology program (not sure where I am on the list) and still waiting to hear back from OISE's PhD Clinical and Counselling Psychology program. Somewhere deep down inside OISE's website is a statement that says decisions are made beginning to middle of April. I'm trying not to get too worked up seeing applicants the MA Counselling Psych program post in the Results Forum here...but I can't stop checking. So instead I'll pop in on this thread and provide support. Sounds much more productive than pulling my hair out waiting for the "Under Review" status on U of T's application page to change to "Decision Made".

Rejected from Queen's MPA today too worrypower! :( But I expected it.

And to the person above asking about GPSIA, friend of mine reviewed an acceptance today

FYI to everyone waiting on U of T's anthro department: they mailed the letters this week. I saw that my status changed on the SGS website, so I called the graduate admin assistant and she told me my admission status over the phone. So, if you're desperate to know (or need to know because of other expiring offers like me), then give them a call!

I don't know if I should be concerned that my status is still Under Review.. and i'm too scared get rejected over the phone to call LOL

So instead I'll pop in on this thread and provide support. Sounds much more productive than pulling my hair out waiting for the "Under Review" status on U of T's application page to change to "Decision Made".

Haha well said.

U of T's statistics department has apparently sent out several acceptances according to the results page, but I've got nothing. Status page stays the same.

Now I'm hoping they don't send a rejection through snailmail like some people have said they do! I'd rather receive it in my gmail inbox, so that my dad or neighbors won't be the ones to see it first... Snailmail rejections are too cruel IMO :(

Well I'm officially dying of agony...6 months of waiting. :(

That's a long time! Hang in there (she says, while tapping her foot and drumming her fingers on the desk). Where did you apply?