Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

I heard directly from my POI that I was in, as for the official offer from the university, I have not heard anything yet.  I heard from my POI almost a month ago and have yet to even get a status change or email from the uni directly saying I am in/out.

Pretty sure Memorial does acceptances only by snail mail! (Unfortunately)

I got my Memorial acceptance from my POI about 9 days ago, but it was unofficial. Once it was offcial my status changed online. Haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

Yes, I am waiting for Anthro results.  I got an e-mail from my POI last night around 10pm (she has been surprisingly forthcoming and remained contact throughout this whole process without too much nudging from me) that "official" offers will go out by next Monday and the next few days.  She said I am on the provisional recommend list, but nothing is 100% until Monday/Tuesday.  So, we will know in less than a week's time!

Cool thanks letting us know!

Hope we get results on Monday. Either way, acceptance/rejection goes down easier with St Patty's.

Hey guys, I posted this on a different thread but feel like I'll get more feedback here:

I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to 3/4 of the masters programs I have applied to (did my undergrad in Criminology and graduated with a 3.87 GPA). Thus far, I have been accepted to Carleton University, York University and Windsor University for MA in legal studies/criminology. I am still waiting on Nipissing University but that was my last choice so not too worried about that. I have received fairly equal funding for each of the schools so I am having a hard time deciding where to go. If any of you have any advice you'd like to share or know anything about either of these three schools please feel free to let me know! I'd like to pick the best school possible.

Hi Dustin,

Congrats on your offers!

Like the others above, I would rule out Windsor.

I don't know jack about Carleton, but is the York offer for the socio-legal studies program? If so, I actually did my MA in that program back in 2010 and can speak to that! I was also accepted to the PhD program in 2012, but declined in favour of Sociology at U of T.

The pros of the program: I felt very well supported in the program, academically and financially. York has seen some great gains in union-related benefits since their strike in 2009, the health benefits plan is ballin' and they've got tutorials capped at 25 students per (you may not have thought as far ahead as the TA obligations and stuff yet, but it definitely impacts your life, so these benefits are worth considering). I also received a heap of money in additional bursaries and such that I applied for while there. While I'm not sure if this holds for the MA, at the PhD level, they actually don't do any clawback if you get SSHRC or OGS, so you're prospectively very SET for monies (at least while you're in the funded cohort) at that level if you can arrive at that arrangement (there's also something to be said for a academic climate that doesn't "punish" students for bringing external awards). The faculty are fantastic and clever and frequently cross-appointed to other departments, so odds are you can get your needs met regarding your interests. There are also great connections to resources at Osgoode, which harbours quite brilliant legal minds and a bitchin' library. I was given A LOT of latitude for my MA MRP; I had the freedom to write on an awesome topic in a unique way, and my supervisor helped to guide me in this endeavour BUT she didn't take over the project, which can be a common trap that fledgling grad students end up in.

The cons: If you live in the grad housing at York, you can feel a little cut-off from the "hub" of action in Toronto, but if you live somewhat closer to downtown, the commute is miserable. I know that they're making strides on getting the subway extended to York, but I don't think that's happening before the fall. It's a sucky commute. Full stop. Also, the program is quite new; as no one has graduated from the PhD program yet, you can't really divine placement statistics OR time to completion (I don't know how that compares to Carleton, but it's something to think about). Finally, I've found it a bit difficult to translate some of the foundational socio-legal methods/theory stuff to my PhD endeavours; this is, in part, because I've switched over to Sociology (though my specialization is in law and socio-legal studies). Some of the foundational elements in socio-legal studies are difficult for other disciplines to recognize, so it's sometimes a bit of extra work at conferences and in publishing pursuits to make yourself, and your research, understood BUT this is a component of being part of a burgeoning field!

If you have some specific questions or want me to elaborate on the above, feel free to PM me (I'm actually from Northern Ontario as well, and can speak to the transition to Southern Ontario, if you have questions on that front)! I would suggest opening up some correspondence to current students in both programs (maybe ask the grad secretary/administer if they can refer you to someone). Sorry that I can't compare to Carleton!

Edited by surefire

I posted this in Anthro - and would love to get advice from you all here as well!

I'm in search of a reality check. I'm seriously considering turning down an offer from UBC for Memorial University of Newfoundland. Am I crazy?

Everyone at Memorial has felt like a great fit from the start. The faculty and students respond to my questions right away with long, complete answers. The faculty and my committee seem so invested in me, and so excited about my work. The students are engaging and interesting and also seem really into my work. The funding is solid, if slightly less.

On the other side, the faculty at UBC don't seem to be able to answer simple funding questions, the students I've heard from say it's a challenge to finish, and impossible to get funding after year 4 - overall feels like there's just nothing there.

Both are funding me for 4 years with no teaching obligation, and I got my desired supervisor and committee at both.

How is it that the school with the best reputation is like that and the school I'd never heard of is so amazing? Perspective, experience, advice, and more all welcome! Am I missing something? Thanks!

Wow, that was incredibly helpful! PM'ing you now.

Hi Dustin,

Congrats on your offers!

Like the others above, I would rule out Windsor.

I don't know jack about Carleton, but is the York offer for the socio-legal studies program? If so, I actually did my MA in that program back in 2010 and can speak to that! I was also accepted to the PhD program in 2012, but declined in favour of Sociology at U of T.

The pros of the program: I felt very well supported in the program, academically and financially. York has seen some great gains in union-related benefits since their strike in 2009, the health benefits plan is ballin' and they've got tutorials capped at 25 students per (you may not have thought as far ahead as the TA obligations and stuff yet, but it definitely impacts your life, so these benefits are worth considering). I also received a heap of money in additional bursaries and such that I applied for while there. While I'm not sure if this holds for the MA, at the PhD level, they actually don't do any clawback if you get SSHRC or OGS, so you're prospectively very SET for monies (at least while you're in the funded cohort) at that level if you can arrive at that arrangement (there's also something to be said for a academic climate that doesn't "punish" students for bringing external awards). The faculty are fantastic and clever and frequently cross-appointed to other departments, so odds are you can get your needs met regarding your interests. There are also great connections to resources at Osgoode, which harbours quite brilliant legal minds and a bitchin' library. I was given A LOT of latitude for my MA MRP; I had the freedom to write on an awesome topic in a unique way, and my supervisor helped to guide me in this endeavour BUT she didn't take over the project, which can be a common trap that fledgling grad students end up in.

The cons: If you live in the grad housing at York, you can feel a little cut-off from the "hub" of action in Toronto, but if you live somewhat closer to downtown, the commute is miserable. I know that they're making strides on getting the subway extended to York, but I don't think that's happening before the fall. It's a sucky commute. Full stop. Also, the program is quite new; as no one has graduated from the PhD program yet, you can't really divine placement statistics OR time to completion (I don't know how that compares to Carleton, but it's something to think about). Finally, I've found it a bit difficult to translate some of the foundational socio-legal methods/theory stuff to my PhD endeavours; this is, in part, because I've switched over to Sociology (though my specialization is in law and socio-legal studies). Some of the foundational elements in socio-legal studies are difficult for other disciplines to recognize, so it's sometimes a bit of extra work at conferences and in publishing pursuits to make yourself, and your research, understood BUT this is a component of being part of a burgeoning field!

If you have some specific questions or want me to elaborate on the above, feel free to PM me (I'm actually from Northern Ontario as well, and can speak to the transition to Southern Ontario, if you have questions on that front)! I would suggest opening up some correspondence to current students in both programs (maybe ask the grad secretary/administer if they can refer you to someone). Sorry that I can't compare to Carleton!

Hi guys!

I stumbled upon a couple of posts here regarding UofT's MPP program. I stressed out on here last year, ended up accepting UofT and am currently finishing up my first year of the program. If anybody has any questions at all, send me at email at lindsay.handren@mail.utoronto.ca .. I know I definitely would've appreciated having an insider!

Good luck, everyone! :)

Hi guys!

I stumbled upon a couple of posts here regarding UofT's MPP program. I stressed out on here last year, ended up accepting UofT and am currently finishing up my first year of the program. If anybody has any questions at all, send me at email at lindsay.handren@mail.utoronto.ca .. I know I definitely would've appreciated having an insider!

Good luck, everyone! :)

Thanks! I'll sit down to write to you this evening. At this rate I'll be accepted everywhere I applied except UofT, which is the one place my partner already got an offer from!

A quick question for anyone out there -- my online application status for Calgary's MPP program reads as follows, though I submitted the requisite information well before the March 1 deadline:

The Faculty of Graduate Studies has not received sufficient documents to begin an evaluation of your application at this time. Once the required documents (as shown below) have been received, we will begin the evaluation of your application.

They haven't acknowledged the receipt of my official transcripts, though I've uploaded my unofficial ones. Further, a professor of mine submitted my reference via snail mail weeks ago, yet this isn't reflected online. Is it worth contacting them to ask what's up, or are they simply slow at updating their site? Any insight would be much appreciated.

I would call. You have nothing to lose from contacting them and everything to lose if for some stupid technical reason they don't end up considering your application.

I've applied to McMaster, McGill and U of T. The former two have accepted me, with McMaster offering me a very nice option. But U of T has been radio silent this whole time! Anyone out there apply to the Masters program in Religion and heard anything back yet?

Hi Notforsaken

The religion department actually made first round offers about a week ago. I was fortunate to get an acceptance but am not sure if they have a waitlist so I suggest you email the graduate coordinator and see where your application stands. Good luck!

Edited by CLCN

I posted this in Anthro - and would love to get advice from you all here as well!

I'm in search of a reality check. I'm seriously considering turning down an offer from UBC for Memorial University of Newfoundland. Am I crazy?

Everyone at Memorial has felt like a great fit from the start. The faculty and students respond to my questions right away with long, complete answers. The faculty and my committee seem so invested in me, and so excited about my work. The students are engaging and interesting and also seem really into my work. The funding is solid, if slightly less.

On the other side, the faculty at UBC don't seem to be able to answer simple funding questions, the students I've heard from say it's a challenge to finish, and impossible to get funding after year 4 - overall feels like there's just nothing there.

Both are funding me for 4 years with no teaching obligation, and I got my desired supervisor and committee at both.

How is it that the school with the best reputation is like that and the school I'd never heard of is so amazing? Perspective, experience, advice, and more all welcome! Am I missing something? Thanks!

As you can tell from looking at my signature, I am probably just a little bit biased when it comes to answering this question. 

I've had an overwhelmingly good experience doing my undergrad at Memorial. It has a really great, close-knit atmosphere, and people always seem just genuinely interested in helping you out. It's also a fairly small school, in comparison, which means that you get to know people much quicker/easier in my opinion. I didn't apply to any programs at Memorial, since they have yet to develop their MA Communication Studies program (though it is in the works), but if I could have, I without a doubt would have done so. The Faculty of Arts is a very diverse, close-knit community in particular.

Also, more biased... but St. John's is a great place to live. There is so much character and culture that you could literally not find anywhere else. Not to mention that it is absolutely beautiful, and the people are genuinely super friendly.... as in friendly to the point where it is kind of baffling. Strangers call me "duckie" and "sweetie" and "dear" constantly.

Hi All

I have only just found this forum! I am from England and I have applied to Brock to do my Masters of Education.  I noticed on here today that someone has already been accepted and now I am freaking out. I didn't apply to any other uni or course as I will be moving to Niagara on the Lake and Brock is the closest uni I could go to. I know my application was good, I have already done 2 postgrad courses, have taught children from birth -18, and my references off my tutors were great (my grades were the highest on the course). However I am so stressed that there will be so many other people with applications better than mine and I will get rejected. Anybody have any insight for me about time scales and when I should here back.  When I asked about the process a while back I was told the face to face interviews would be arranged in March and I would get an email if successful. Has anybody had to have a face to face interview before? Any help and info on Brock would be great.

Anyone here have any information on Ryerson's MPPA program, in terms of reputation, student satisfaction, funding, etc? I received an acceptance and I'm beginning to lean towards Ryerson but I can't really find much information about it outside of what's posted on their website.

Has McMaster MA Poli Sci sent out any acceptances or rejections yet? I'm thinking of emailing them to ask when I can expect an answer so I can accept or decline my other offers. 

I contacted Manuela earlier this week, and she said that the department just started reviewing the applications this week and decisions would be made over the next 3-4 weeks.

I contacted Manuela earlier this week, and she said that the department just started reviewing the applications this week and decisions would be made over the next 3-4 weeks.

Thank you! I have been on the fence about emailing them since their deadline was later than the other schools. 3-4 weeks is going to be agony. 

My husband, sister-in-law and brother-in-law all studied at MUN, but for their undergraduate degrees.  They all enjoyed their time there.  Newfoundlanders tend to be very friendly, and with the oil and gas industry, St. John's is expanding and is no longer the sleepy little town it used to be.

Being stuck on the island can be a pain at times - you need to take the ferry to fly if you want to go anywhere outside of Newfoundland.   Some things are expensive due to the cost of transport to get things to the island.

If you enjoy the outdoors and/or history, Newfoundland is a great place to be.  I've visted Terra Nova and Gross Morne National Parks, visited Cape Spear, Signal Hill, and a bunch of other historic sites.  Been whale watching and saw a whole pod with some baby whales. :)

St. John's is obviously not a big city like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, so if you like big city life, than St. John's might not be for you.  Otherwise, I think MUN is a great choice.

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed to have received my first answer back-- a rejection from SFU's MPP program. Fortunately I still have three more schools to go (Toronto, McMaster and Queen's.) Has anyone heard anything from Queen's? Based on the results search it really seems like they're taking their sweet time.

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed to have received my first answer back-- a rejection from SFU's MPP program. Fortunately I still have three more schools to go (Toronto, McMaster and Queen's.) Has anyone heard anything from Queen's? Based on the results search it really seems like they're taking their sweet time.

I have a few friends (three to be exact) who have received acceptance from Queen's MPA this week and last, fyi. They've been offered admission with funding to come in the mail. 

I received an acceptance for Queen's MPA earlier this week. Info on funding to come, but I doubt their funding is generous.

I am trying to decide between Queens and Ottawa's MA in public administration. Any advice? Ottawa is offering me an admission scholarship that covers first year tuition + more money guaranteed through a TAship, RAship or other source (for the first year as well). I like the Queens program more, and it also has the advantage to be 1 year, but Ottawa is also attractive because of the guaranteed money and proximity to govt jobs.