Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Oh man... The anticipating is killing me. Have we established that rejections only come via post? and that acceptances for sure come through email?

Unfortunately I haven't found any others who have applied to the crim program on here so I'm not sure if it's email or post.. hopefully it's not just rejections in the mail because I have received no email haha

Oh man... The anticipating is killing me. Have we established that rejections only come via post? and that acceptances for sure come through email?

From what I can see using the results aggregator, rejections tend to come through the mail and acceptances tend to come by email. Some people contacted the department directly after seeing "decision made" pop up on the SGS website and then discovered that they were rejected.

I'm guessing that if you haven't heard anything by....Wesnesday (??), then you can probably expect to get a rejection letter in the mail. :(

Edited by Kaitri

Unfortunately I haven't found any others who have applied to the crim program on here so I'm not sure if it's email or post.. hopefully it's not just rejections in the mail because I have received no email haha

I applied to the Crim program, but for Ph.D (not sure if you are MA or Ph.D). My status on SGS still says "under review", but the results page suggests that we will not know the decisions until mid to late March.

Here is hoping it is much earlier as I have to let a couple schools know of my decision before then.

From what I can see using the results aggregator, rejections tend to come through the mail and acceptances tend to come by email. Some people contacted the department directly after seeing "decision made" pop up on the SGS website and then discovered that they were rejected.

I'm guessing that if you haven't heard anything by....Wesnesday (??), then you can probably expect to get a rejection letter in the mail. :(

I received my offer via email, but was told my official offer would come via post within the next month.  So offers will also arrive via post, but I guess they want to give people the good news via email first, so they aren't left hanging (and perhaps before they accept offers from other programs?)

Strangely enough, my application still says "under review" but the offer email is genuine!  I checked and double-checked, and I know they were going to release offers by today at the latest (they wanted to get their offers out before the Dietitians of Canada internship offers are made on Monday).

ETA:  I just received an email from the program again (I emailed them yesterday saying that I intended to accept the offer) so it's real, despite the "under review" on the application website.

Edited by RunnerGrad

I applied to the Crim program, but for Ph.D (not sure if you are MA or Ph.D). My status on SGS still says "under review", but the results page suggests that we will not know the decisions until mid to late March.

Here is hoping it is much earlier as I have to let a couple schools know of my decision before then.

You may want to consider asking for a little extra time to make your decision - the worst thing they can say is "no". You could also email the department at U of T and ask when they will be contacting applicants. I tried the second option (contacting departments at U of T) and didn't hear back from any of them.

You may want to consider asking for a little extra time to make your decision - the worst thing they can say is "no". You could also email the department at U of T and ask when they will be contacting applicants. I tried the second option (contacting departments at U of T) and didn't hear back from any of them.

I did both! haha The school that requires word back first is pretty much tied up by graduate studies and U of T is pretty horrible (in my experience) with returning emails in an efficient manner.

Someone a few pages back had applied to English MA programs at McGill and UBC and, like me, was waiting for a response.

Looking to see if he/she or any other applicants have heard from UBC. I just got admission from McGill (email).

I just got an acceptance from McGill. This is making a tough situation for me, because I was offered full funding from uMaine, but the program at McGill is a better fit for me and the PhD placement seems wayyyy better than Maine's. I don't know what to do. The funding opportunities seem shaky to me - holdsteady- did you receive a similarly vague email about English MA funding?

I still haven't heard anything from McGill, which is worrying me. I have a friend who applied to the same program and has heard back and I've seen a few McGill MA English acceptances on the results page as well. If I had been accepted, I assume I would have heard at the same time as everyone else :(. Anyway, congrats you two! I'm still waiting for official news and still crossing my fingers for UBC.

Has anyone heard from UT MPP yet?  MY application status has changed to decision made on the SGS website but I haven't gotten an email or letter.

My status is still "under review". Now I'm getting really nervous...

My status is still "under review". Now I'm getting really nervous...

By the way - there are no posts on the general admissions board from MPP Toronto. So it's not like anyone has heard something you haven't.

I still haven't heard anything from McGill, which is worrying me. I have a friend who applied to the same program and has heard back and I've seen a few McGill MA English acceptances on the results page as well. If I had been accepted, I assume I would have heard at the same time as everyone else :(. Anyway, congrats you two! I'm still waiting for official news and still crossing my fingers for UBC.

Hang in there. There's still a chance they haven't sent out all acceptances and also a chance you're waitlisted.

UBC is really frustrating. Even moreso when I look at the results page and see English MA results only in late March in some recent years...

I got an offer of admission by mail from UofT just yesterday with no acceptance email. So not all mail notifications are rejections and it's not necessary that you will receive an email only if it's an acceptance. Patience everyone :)

You're a just a peach!!! Thanks for the encouragement!

I'd be interested to know if people have impressions of the UBC 4YF, the Four Year Doctoral Fellowship (https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/four-year-doctoral-fellowship-4yf).

I'm wondering if it's given to most students, or if it really is a sign that the program is highly interested in you. It seems like a great deal since in addition to the stipend it also pays for tuition, though would be better if it were a bit higher, or supplemented with something else.

I got an acceptance package from UofT (for my MSW) and I didn't receive any email.  I did however log on to ROSI with the student number they gave me when I applied 3 days before I received the acceptance package and it said Invite so I already knew I was in. Try logging into ROSI, you never know.

I got an offer of admission by mail from UofT just yesterday with no acceptance email. So not all mail notifications are rejections and it's not necessary that you will receive an email only if it's an acceptance. Patience everyone :)

I got an acceptance package from UofT (for my MSW) and I didn't receive any email.  I did however log on to ROSI with the student number they gave me when I applied 3 days before I received the acceptance package and it said Invite so I already knew I was in. Try logging into ROSI, you never know.

I tried logging into ROSI for the registration for housing and was told (after I didn't succeed, and supposedly this is how you finalize the process of application) that I would only be able to log in after being made an offer and accepting it (this was ages ago, before anyone got any answers). So I'm wondering how you were able to log in there? 

I tried logging into ROSI for the registration for housing and was told (after I didn't succeed, and supposedly this is how you finalize the process of application) that I would only be able to log in after being made an offer and accepting it (this was ages ago, before anyone got any answers). So I'm wondering how you were able to log in there?

Couldn't log in either! I only have my joinid and student id from my application, both of which do not work. :/

Couldn't log in either! I only have my joinid and student id from my application, both of which do not work. :/

Yeah it definitely doesn't work, especially since the password is supposed to be an integer.

I went to the application page and found the student id # they had given me, then I went to ROSI and put in the student # and the temporary password which is your birthday (year/month/day - 2 digits each - so mine was 81/06/08) and then it asked me to change to my permanent password, which I did, and then the first page that popped up had the info saying the program, start date, and that my status was Invited.  It may have been available only because the decision had already been made (I had been informed the letters were sent out March 3 and I checked March 4, although I didn't get the letter until March 6).

I just tried logging into ROSI. All of Sarahb's steps work, but since I obviously haven't been admitted yet, I wasn't able to do anything once I entered the system. So you may be able to log in, but you will probably only be able to use the system if some program has offered you admission. 

Mildly freaked out because someone got accepted into the program I applied to at Concordia according to the results page D:

I'm in the same boat, for a different school. It's an awful feeling... I'm sorry you are going through it too. Fingers crossed that the outcome is positive!