Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

I am so jealous of both of you.I applied to Munk and I'm still under review, and Munk is my top choice. So nervous. Congratulations though, both of you.

Thanks, hopefully you hear something soon! Where else have you applied?

Posted this in the other thread but I meant to post it here :)

The UBC Counselling Psych admissions committee has made their decisions and has sent them to the FGS for final approval. Hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks! I sure wish they'd tell us now though.

Thanks, hopefully you hear something soon! Where else have you applied?

I applied to Victoria's Dispute Resolution, Western History/Transitional Justice, Laurier's MIPP, and NPSIA at UOttawa. But I realized afterwards that the only two places I really want to go are Toronto and Victoria. If I don't get in to one of those two, I may just do an internship and reapply. :/

I applied to UBC and U of T for a PhD in Geography. So far I've been accepted to U of T! I'm fairly certain I'm going to accept, but I want to hear back from UBC, but they don't finish their acceptance till May! 

Has anyone tried getting them to make their decisions faster? I don't understand how they are able to attract the best students when they take so long!

Have been accepted to Uvic and Calgary. Calgary hasn't sent an email yet but I have the accept/decline option. Maybe should have applied to more schools...

Anyway, I have my funding offer from UVic. Not sure on Calgary's yet. Is it considered acceptable to try to leverage funding if the packages are different? I consider both to be equivalent in terms of 'quality' so am indifferent if i set aside money. I'd have to move for calgary but no big deal if they can provide a reasonable package.

I applied to the MPH program at Uvic and I've heard nothing so far - I just checked their website and it says they extended the deadline for MPH applications from Jan 15th (when I submitted mine) to Feb 15th. I'm trying not to freak out and think this is because they thought they didn't get enough good applicants (including me) :(

I applied to the MPH program at Uvic and I've heard nothing so far - I just checked their website and it says they extended the deadline for MPH applications from Jan 15th (when I submitted mine) to Feb 15th. I'm trying not to freak out and think this is because they thought they didn't get enough good applicants (including me) :(

Let's be honest here--UVic is not exactly organized.

Check your application. In the table of items (references, payment, etc.), has your official (UVic) transcript been (automatically) requested? It would have a date some time after you submitted your application. I'm assuming you're a UVic student and did not provide them with an official transcript, since it's your home school.

If it has been requested, that's a sign they are either considering you or reviewing your submission.

Wanting more applicants could be due to wanting more foreign/other Canadian school/UVic students to have a balanced entrance class. My advisor told me that UVic tries to target a certain demographic mixture of graduate students [per program]. Odds are, your chances will not have been affected.

Edited by rvict

I applied to the Public Administration program, and they also extended the deadline from the 15th, to the 31st. The poster above me had some really good points! Also my friend who got into the same program (who also went to UVic for her undergrad, just like me) said she didn't hear back until mid-March. So don't worry!

Edited by disba

Let's be honest here--UVic is not exactly organized.

Check your application. In the table of items (references, payment, etc.), has your official (UVic) transcript been (automatically) requested? It would have a date some time after you submitted your application. I'm assuming you're a UVic student and did not provide them with an official transcript, since it's your home school.

If it has been requested, that's a sign they are either considering you or reviewing your submission.

Wanting more applicants could be due to wanting more foreign/other Canadian school/UVic students to have a balanced entrance class. My advisor told me that UVic tries to target a certain demographic mixture of graduate students [per program]. Odds are, your chances will not have been affected.

Thank you for posting this :) So far my status says "App forwarded: Interim review", and when you mention that they're looking for a balanced entry class that makes sense! Phew. I have been doing my undergrad there as a social work student yeah, and I remember not hearing from them until April about that - do you think there's a chance that hearing about grad school takes as long? In terms of the official transcript, it says that they got my unofficial one when I applied on Jan 15th, but it looks like on Feb 11th they requested another one, I hope that is good news :)

So I checked my status on Western's site and it's changed to "Offered Admission". I haven't gotten any actual word from the school itself, and their website says that they send out decisions Mid March-Late April, so I am really hoping this is not some glitch. From the looks of the results page a lot of people have been accepted via Website with no official word, so I'm trying not to worry too much... 

So I checked my status on Western's site and it's changed to "Offered Admission". I haven't gotten any actual word from the school itself, and their website says that they send out decisions Mid March-Late April, so I am really hoping this is not some glitch. From the looks of the results page a lot of people have been accepted via Website with no official word, so I'm trying not to worry too much... 

Congrats :)

I think I may have been accepted to Waterloo's MMath Computer Science, although haven't received anything official yet. What does it mean when my potential adviser with whom I've been exchanging regular e-mails since September '13 says :   " You'll be happy to know that I've already pressed the "Accept" button in our online admissions system.  At this point, a bunch of bureaucratic gears should grind away for a while, eventually resulting in a formal offer of admission being spit out at the other end. "

- and he's talking already talking about stuff that we'd do as soon as I get there. 

By the way, I'm an Architecture undergrad and my grades were terrible. It'll be a miracle if I'm accepted. 

Not a word from U of T. 

Hey Guys - Need your help! I'm an internaitonal student who applied for Masters in Computer Science at UofAlberta. I receveid an admit just 2 days back. Can anyone help me with the kind of Research Alberta is known for in Computer Science. I would like to know about the good research specializations in CS, funding & job prospects...

Please advice!

I think I may have been accepted to Waterloo's MMath Computer Science, although haven't received anything official yet. What does it mean when my potential adviser with whom I've been exchanging regular e-mails since September '13 says :   " You'll be happy to know that I've already pressed the "Accept" button in our online admissions system.  At this point, a bunch of bureaucratic gears should grind away for a while, eventually resulting in a formal offer of admission being spit out at the other end. "

- and he's talking already talking about stuff that we'd do as soon as I get there. 

By the way, I'm an Architecture undergrad and my grades were terrible. It'll be a miracle if I'm accepted. 

Not a word from U of T. 

Congrats on Waterloo! Sounds like a pretty sure acceptance or else your potential adviser wouldn't be saying that.  :P

Anyone else apply to York for Anthropology? Last year they met and sent first acceptances this week - wondering if anyone has heard anything or reached out to find out the timeline. Thanks!

Congrats on Waterloo! Sounds like a pretty sure acceptance or else your potential adviser wouldn't be saying that.  :P

Hey thanks ! I don't know about funding, haven't asked him yet. Will ask now. Meanwhile, what's Waterloo like ? I've heard from my CS friends and online reviews that Waterloo is pretty good, if not among the best for CS. My adviser has done a fair bit of praising himself. 

I'm still very surprised. Whoa !

I've applied to a few Gender Studies MA programs (Queen's, York, and U of T) and the Master's in Theory, Culture and Politics at Trent.

I heard back from Queen's first, they sound really excited about my program of study and have offered me really generous funding, but I'm still trying to hold out on accepting until I hear from York. :( Nothing yet, though.

I feel like York has professors doing research that makes them a better fit for what I'm doing, but Queen's is more clearly excited about me and my research area - they sent me an informal acceptance email the same day their Admissions Committee met up. Waiting makes me feel horribly rude - I've tried to be as clear with the Queen's people as possible that I am definitely interested, but am waiting to have further information about one of my other applications before I accept, but it sounds like they would like to have my response before March 15. I'm starting to get a bit antsy about it.

I also received a rejection letter from U of T. Not my top pick anyways, since they usually don't fund their MA students, so I'm not too broken up about it. No work from Trent yet.

So I have an offer from elsewhere (in the US). Do you think that can in any way help me get an offer from U of T sooner?

Not necessarily, but I don't think there is harm in contacting U of T if you have a deadline for accepting the other offer. If there is no deadline you have to meet then I would say you're better off leaving it be for now

I also received a rejection letter from U of T. Not my top pick anyways, since they usually don't fund their MA students, so I'm not too broken up about it. No work from Trent yet.

Do you mean for Gender Studies? On the results page, it seems like quite a few Economics MA acceptances received 15k+ in funding.

The offer at U of T far exceeds what any other school i applied to will give me i think. Unlike U of T, I doubt they'll offer a travel subsidy in addition to a funding package.

Edited by nakuu

Do you mean for Gender Studies? On the results page, it seems like quite a few Economics MA acceptances received 15k+ in funding.

The offer at U of T far exceeds what any other school i applied to will give me i think. Unlike U of T, I doubt they'll offer a travel subsidy in addition to a funding package.

It depends on the program. Even some humanities MAs (Philosophy, for example) fall under the guaranteed funding thing and will provide 15,000 plus dollars a year. English MAs, on the other hand, must rely on SSHRC and OGS awards. I'm sure the same applies to some others.

I got into U of T but received zero funding. They indicated this was the case for all successful applicants to the English MA program.

Yes, sorry, it does seem like it varies a lot depending on what department you're in and whether you've been admitted to the doctoral stream or not.