Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

Hey guys, I was recently admitted into the Economics PhD program at Concordia (well I have to take MA courses before qualifying for the PhD program), and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with an issue. I did not really apply to anywhere else (my main university applications were in the States and Europe, but I would much rather end up in Canada, especially since this offer is well funded for me)

Honestly I'm looking to work in Academia eventually.I know that perhaps my chances of working at top universities are actually better if I get a PhD from a top university in the first place, however I was just wondering with a PhD from Concordia what are my chances at working at good schools (I don't mean Harvard or Princeton or even UofT or McGill, but rather schools like McMaster, Queen's uOttawa even Concordia for that matter or other universities in the states along that line)

Sorry to bother anyone and if I could get an answer that would be great.

In any case, looking forward to going to Canada, and if anyone is making the move to Montreal I hope we can meet soon!

Hey guys

I have been admitted into the Masters of Science Applied (Non-Thesis) in Biotechnology program at McGill University!

Also got into UPenn, Penn State, Hopkins, Imperial etc. However having a tough time deciding between McGill and Penn (the main ones to consider)

It seems McMaster is taking forever to review applications :(

On the plus side-- no news means we're still in the running!

It was driving me absolute crazy for a few weeks, especially since I've only received rejections so far back in March, but now I feel a lot more chill living by the "no news is good news" principle, hahaha. 

On the plus side-- no news means we're still in the running!

It was driving me absolute crazy for a few weeks, especially since I've only received rejections so far back in March, but now I feel a lot more chill living by the "no news is good news" principle, hahaha. 

I know from experience last year that McMaster (at least for Anthropology) sends their yes's out by mid-March.  Last year I got rejected by checking my status online and it said not successful a full 3 MONTHS before I got my e-mail saying no.  Let me time frame this for you, I applied Jan 1 like they wanted.  I waited until very late March and was fed up with waiting so I happened to check my status online, saw "Not successful".  I finally got my "official" no in late June/early July through e-mail.  So maybe I was on some weird wait-list, I don't know, but I just have a feeling that the department grad secretary forgot to send my email.  

This year, I emailed my grad chair in early March because one school (that does rolling admits, and I was admitted in January) wanted to know what I was going to do.  I got an unofficial no from her, then a real no about 2 hours later in my email.  So check your status online first, for a not successful, and then just call/e-mail.  They definitely know by now.  Sorry.  

Hey everyone,

Just found this awesome website. I applied to UofT, MSC in Exercise Science. My application still says "under review." I am able to log onto ROSI, but it says no registration history.

I'm so nervous! I check ROSI and SGS every day!

Any other EXS people out there?

Still haven't heard from McMaster or U of T, tra la la...

It seems McMaster is taking forever to review applications :(

Worry power - I've declined my offer for McMaster's MA in Political Science (Public Policy stream)... hopefully they'll be making their second round offers soon! Good luck! :)

Worry power - I've declined my offer for McMaster's MA in Political Science (Public Policy stream)... hopefully they'll be making their second round offers soon! Good luck! :)

That's the best news I've heard all day! Thank you for letting me know, and congratulations with wherever you're headed. :D

Hey everyone,

Just found this awesome website. I applied to UofT, MSC in Exercise Science. My application still says "under review." I am able to log onto ROSI, but it says no registration history.

No, but I hope to take at least one exercise science course as one of my electives.  For me, nutrition and physical activity go hand-in-hand, so it's definitely an area of interest!

Finally got my acceptance to UVic MPA on Campus!! Ironically, now that I've got it, I've found myself leaning much more towards Carleton. But still happy to have been accepted to 2/3 places I applied to! I was concerned I wouldn't get in anywhere :)

Hey everyone,

Hey Rachel,

I'm in the same boat as you. 

I applied to UofT for both the Exercise Science and the Nutritional Science Msc.'s

I have yet to hear anything from either. I know several other people who also applied for one or the other, and none of them have heard from either program either.

Here's hoping!

Who did you apply to work with? If you don't mind divulging that, that is....

I have been waitlisted for the MPA at Queen's University. Got the e-mail on the 25th of this month. Was anyone able to get a hold of Fiona and/or figure out if the waitlist is very long? And does anyone know how likely it is to get accepted off the MPA waitlist at Queen's?

Anyone here on th waitlist for Univeristy of Calgary's MSW 2 year program (non-BSW entry)?  I received an email that I am on the waitlist!  I have a BA in Geography and a BEd.  My experience is 3 years of teaching in a remote community at the top of the NWT. 

Can anyone who got in share what they've done, or if you are on the waitlist.... did you call to see where you are at?!!!!   :)

Thanks!

So anybody else gonna be doing an unfunded master's next year? Top program, but still disappointing... :(

Don't worry about your program being unfunded... I gave up 18k in TA and other types of funding last year at my alma mater because I wanted to attend my dream school and live in a different city... I was offered very minimal funding, like 2k since that is how much they offer all new grad students. I managed to get an MA SSHRC for next year and I have applied to a few other scholarships that I am waiting to hear back on. You will have other opportunities for funding. Money comes and goes and provinicial student loans exist for a reason. You only live once, go for the school you where you will find what you are looking for.

Edited by scholarlypartier

Finally got rejected from the U of T. So polite! Very impressed that it takes a full four months of total radio silence to process a form-letter rejection. Oy vey.

Still waiting on McMaster though.

Don't worry about your program being unfunded... I gave up 18k in TA and other types of funding last year at my alma mater because I wanted to attend my dream school and live in a different city... I was offered very minimal funding, like 2k since that is how much they offer all new grad students. I managed to get an MA SSHRC for next year and I have applied to a few other scholarships that I am waiting to hear back on. You will have other opportunities for funding. Money comes and goes and provinicial student loans exist for a reason. You only live once, go for the school you where you will find what you are looking for.

I'm still unsure I made the right choice, but I chose the higher ranked (and generally regarded as tied for best in the country) program. My specific career path I'd like to pursue more or less needs me to come out of the program and I wanted to keep my options open in terms of continuing into a PhD. I guess I'll find out whether I made the right or wrong decision next year. 

Does anybody know when will University of Waterloo and Western Ontario send out acceptances? Its been over 3 and a half months i applied for the MEng program and haven't heard anything, neither did my status change. I am a foreign student applying from Bangladesh with a GPA of 3.6/4 and a score of 8 in IELTS. Very nervous, don't know why its taking so long :(

After what felt like an eternity of waiting, I got my first acceptance today! I checked my application to the University of Saskatchewan and it said "Department Recommend-- Conditional." I'm assuming that the condition will be to send my final transcript with proof of graduation, because I had to send my transcripts in before all of my final courses had been graded. 

I am thrilled and delighted and over the moon! No matter what happens from here out I will be going to graduate school in the fall! Today is a very good day. :D

I had received an MEDA offer letter from Mcgill  for PhD admission in around mid of March. But status of application on McGill uApply portal is still flashing as 'in review'. The graduate coordinator says that there's some issue with the uApply website and will be fixed soon.  Being an International student, my visa procedures are taking a back seat till I receive the university admit. Well, I am in a very precarious position indeed here!! Anyone else in a similar predicament? It feels stronger when one has company! :-P

Congrats to all those people who got accepted in this thread. I am just a new member her and would like to share my experience and applications that I did till now. For fall 2014 I applied to the following universities and programs:

University of Windsor - MEng in Industrial Engineering

University of Regina - MEng in Industrial Engineering

University of Calgary - MEng in ECE

University of Guelph - PhD in Engineering

Am yet to hear from these universities. No update as of yet. So lets hope for the best. Good luck to the others who are still awaiting reply