Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2014 Admission

cosmokramer

Hello!

I have been accepted last week in the Master of Arts in Political Science at McGill University but I applied to two different options, the Development Studies Option and the European Studies Option. At the moment, I have no information concerning my chances of being accepted in these options. Anyone has some information about the admission process in these concentrations? How does it work? How competitive is it?

I have also been accepted in the Master of Arts in Political Science at University of British Columbia and in the Maîtrise en science politique at Université de Montréal but I am likely to refuse those offers as McGill University is my top choice for the moment. I am only waiting for Sciences Po Paris now.

Thank you for your help and good luck to you!

Hi there. McGill official acceptance letters are now up on uApply and yours will likely say something about the options since mine gave details about the thesis option. No funding details are on the official acceptance letter. My email from the department said that funding decisions will be emailed by the department by the end of March and the official admission letter from the school reiterates that funding is handled by department. I hope this helps and congrats on your acceptances! I hope you're celebrating.

Edited by qeta

Hi there. McGill official acceptance letters are now up on uApply and yours will likely say something about the options since mine gave details about the thesis option. No funding details are on the official acceptance letter. My email from the department said that funding decisions will be emailed by the department by the end of March and the official admission letter from the school reiterates that funding is handled by department. I hope this helps and congrats on your acceptances! I hope you're celebrating.

Yours was posted?? Mine hasn't been yet. I received the acceptance email from the graduate coordinator and spoke to her directly but still have not had my status updated. I assume based on your applied to list that your Canadian MA school was McGill?

Yours was posted?? Mine hasn't been yet. I received the acceptance email from the graduate coordinator and spoke to her directly but still have not had my status updated. I assume based on your applied to list that your Canadian MA school was McGill?

Mine was posted yesterday morning. I'm sure the school is just taking its sweet time with yours for no particular reason and you have nothing to worry about.

Yup, McGill was the Canadian MA school I applied to. One of the US PhD programs I applied to referred my application to their MA program, and I reluctantly late-applied to a UK school just in case.

York made an offer today which means I got bumped off their PhD waitlist. It appears that the actual details of the offer are forthcoming, but now I am in the 'decision-making' phase.

I withdrew my PhD acceptance from York and accepted elsewhere. 

I hope you get your funding info well before their deadline in order to really consider it! They send it in the mail - I received the funding letter on THE LAST DAY of their offer deadline. Luckily I emailed the graduate assistant to get the info over email because I didn't have time to wait for snail mail. Not exactly the most well organized department, but good luck!

Edited by marlise_b

I withdrew my PhD acceptance from York and accepted elsewhere. 

I hope you get your funding info in time of their deadline in order to really consider it! They send it in the mail - I received the funding letter on THE LAST DAY of their offer deadline. Luckily I emailed the graduate assistant to get the info over email because I didn't have time to wait for snail mail. Not exactly the most well organized department, but good luck!

I sent them off an email asking for the funding information -- and if I don't hear anything today, I'll phone the department directly. Carleton's funding package will be hard for them to match, but those troubling 'other factors' make decisions trickier.

Thanks for the info (and congratulations on Queen's!)

Anyone heard from U of T Political Science Masters?

I heard around 2/3 weeks ago via e-mail along with the offer of a 1k scholarship. I later got the official letter of acceptance from the school last Thursday.

I heard around 2/3 weeks ago via e-mail along with the offer of a 1k scholarship. I later got the official letter of acceptance from the school last Thursday.

Okay.  My application still says 'Under Review' though...

Western's second round offers are going out. I got in (with funding)! So now I have to determine if I want to uproot my family to attend a better school, or keep my acceptance at Brock and not add the extra stress of moving. This never gets easier, does it, lol.

Western's second round offers are going out. I got in (with funding)! So now I have to determine if I want to uproot my family to attend a better school, or keep my acceptance at Brock and not add the extra stress of moving. This never gets easier, does it, lol.

It really doesn't. I suspect that after my PhD I will find that Fellowships and Post-docs and actual jobs all provide the same levels of stress and the same difficulties in making concrete decisions -- if not more.

But hey, we wanted this life. ;)

It really doesn't. I suspect that after my PhD I will find that Fellowships and Post-docs and actual jobs all provide the same levels of stress and the same difficulties in making concrete decisions -- if not more.

But hey, we wanted this life. ;)

Stuff to look forward to, lol. And I got my acceptance to Mac today too, lol. Gah! As if the decision wasn't hard enough! I have two weeks to make my final decision. I have no idea what I'm going to do. 

Hey Everyone

I got my McMaster acceptance for MA in international relations, anyone heard much about the program? pro/cons?

I'm seriously considering accepting Mac. The one thing that worries me is that the comprehensive Masters has a test as opposed to a major research paper. This only concerns me because I'm wondering how it would relate to PhD's. Is doing a major research paper a bonus for PhD applications? Argh, so much to think about. 

o yes that that may be problematic, I would assume it be a bonus as if your applying to a PhD they can see you work, (maybe ask your professors)

I have a general question for anyone, I'm new to this. If your interested in doing a PhD after a masters, whats more important, the school you attend or the supervisor you work under if you choose to do a thesis based masters?. I want to do a PhD in the USA, but if I don't attend a big name school such as Toronto or McGIll is this more difficult to get accepted?  

I sent them off an email asking for the funding information -- and if I don't hear anything today, I'll phone the department directly. Carleton's funding package will be hard for them to match, but those troubling 'other factors' make decisions trickier.

Thanks for the info (and congratulations on Queen's!)

Hey, have you got a reply yet. I asked them previously and they said I'll get soon. And it's been quite some time so I sent another email. Haven't heard from them since

Hey, have you got a reply yet. I asked them previously and they said I'll get soon. And it's been quite some time so I sent another email. Haven't heard from them since

Give them a call. They do have access to the information and can even scan your letter if you request it. I don't entirely understand why they insist on snail mail for this information. It seems like a small thing, but it is just frustrating. And it is even more stark comparing a school that gives you information the second that they have it and one that makes simple requests akin to pulling teeth. Sigh.

Hey Everyone in a sticky situation. Currently in my final year have already gotten acceptances and have accepted to Waterloo MA in political science. I need to maintain an 80 for funding. I am currently not doing great in one of my classes (72) going into the final. I am thinking of LWD (late withdrawal) will they revoke my acceptance if I choose to do this?

Hey,

I got offers from both UBC and U of T (PhD IR). Not sure which one is better but hopefully by the end of April will have an answer. Anyone contemplating turning down U of T or already have. Want to share your reason?