Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2014 Admission

cosmokramer

Congrats! Do you have a top choice?

That would be NPSIA - and yourself?

Hey there!

I also received offers from Balsillie last week - which program did you apply for?

Hey nirvie! I applied to the MA in Global Governance.

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard from Western Ontario? I got an offer via email (on the 19th), but there hasn't been anything further. I'm planning to call soon to inquire, but wanted to see if my situation is similar to others first.

Edit: I should add that the website says a Western funding package is given within the offer of admission letter, but no such thing was given in mine.

Edited by hexenkid

I've applied for international affairs programs at the Munk School at U of T, Norman Paterson at Carleton, and GSPIA at uOttawa. Just got accepted to Munk, still waiting on the other two.

I also got admission from Munk today. I am waiting for McGill.. which one do you prefer?

That would be NPSIA - and yourself?

Hey nirvie! I applied to the MA in Global Governance.

NPSIA as well, with GSPIA a close second.

Received acceptance from GSPIA this morning! Formal offer to come in a few days

Edited by Archie1991

I also got admission from Munk today. I am waiting for McGill.. which one do you prefer?

I'm don't know too much about McGill, other than it has an excellent reputation. My impression is that Munk is more of a "professional" program whereas McGill tends to be more academically-oriented. I tend to like the professionally-oriented programs so Munk would be my preference.

NPSIA as well, with GSPIA a close second.

Received acceptance from GSPIA this morning! Formal offer to come in a few days

Congrats on GSPIA, that's awesome! I have to admit, I'm not hugely optimistic about receiving an offer there. They only finished marking all of my application materials as "received" two days ago even though they were all in ahead of the deadline. Bah!

Congrats on GSPIA, that's awesome! I have to admit, I'm not hugely optimistic about receiving an offer there. They only finished marking all of my application materials as "received" two days ago even though they were all in ahead of the deadline. Bah!

Thanks!

U of O seems to be notorious for this. It took them over a month to process all of my documents. I had a friend who applied for the Political Science MA last year and got a bunch of incomplete application notifications from them well after the deadline despite submitting all of her documents. She ended up getting accepted (not to mention 30k in funding) so that's not necessarily a bad sign.

Thanks!

U of O seems to be notorious for this. It took them over a month to process all of my documents. I had a friend who applied for the Political Science MA last year and got a bunch of incomplete application notifications from them well after the deadline despite submitting all of her documents. She ended up getting accepted (not to mention 30k in funding) so that's not necessarily a bad sign.

Thanks for the info! Reassuring to know for sure that it's not just me. I'll just have to keep hoping for good news. :)

Woops i accidentally hid my post instead of editing it. :mellow:

Received an acceptance through e-mail from Queens for MA in Poli Sci. Still haven't heard back from McGill or Carleton for East European Studies. Going to decline Queen's offer since i got into my first choice for CERES at U of T.

Congratulations to all those accepted! Concordia's MPPPA also sent out some acceptances today. I will likely decline their offer as their program is reasonably low on my list.

Also I can confirm that GSPIA is a little sloppy when it comes to documents. They had initially calculated my admission average using my old transcript that I had sent in in late November rather than my updated one from January. Since my Fall 2013 semester was very strong I ended up qualifying for a scholarship. Therefore make sure that they've used your most recent transcript if you've sent in multiple ones.

Edited by dbrynen

Congratulations to all those accepted! Concordia's MPPPA also sent out some acceptances today. I will likely decline their offer as their program is reasonably low on my list.

Also I can confirm that GSPIA is a little sloppy when it comes to documents. They had initially calculated my admission average using my old transcript that I had sent in in late November rather than my updated one from January. Since my Fall 2013 semester was very strong I ended up qualifying for a scholarship. Therefore make sure that they've used your most recent transcript if you've sent in multiple ones.

Are you going to accept GSPIA before March 3rd if you dont hear back from anyone? 

Are you going to accept GSPIA before March 3rd if you dont hear back from anyone? 

I ended up accepting them last night. Toronto is probably the only school that would change my mind and make me take the $500 hit of losing my deposit. How about you? Really sucks how we have to notify them so early..

I ended up accepting them last night. Toronto is probably the only school that would change my mind and make me take the $500 hit of losing my deposit. How about you? Really sucks how we have to notify them so early..

I'm waiting for NPSIA. I contacted their admissions people but still nothing

Are you more interested in IR? UBC seems like the place to be for IR in Canada. McGill seemed better-equipped to prepare/train me on comparative politics and methods, and those two were high on my list of criteria for selecting programs.

If you want any information about the comparative faculty and program at McGill, I can definitely help you out...

Anyone have any insight into Concordia's PhD program (specifically IR)? I was just accepted, and as an American, feel like I'm working with limited information as to how to judge the competitiveness/reputation/opportunities.

Thanks!

Anyone knows anything about U of T's Ph.D in polisci? Rather weird to see a few entries of MA acceptances but nothing about Ph.D. Hope I have not missed something important… 

Anyone knows anything about U of T's Ph.D in polisci? Rather weird to see a few entries of MA acceptances but nothing about Ph.D. Hope I have not missed something important… 

I think we'll hear back mid-march, that's when decisions came out last year.

Don't mean to be a pest by asking again, but has anyone heard from Western Ontario, MA Poli.Sci? I got an informal offer of admission, but have yet to hear back from the department directly.

Any insight, news, thoughts would help ease my anxiety! :)

Don't mean to be a pest by asking again, but has anyone heard from Western Ontario, MA Poli.Sci? I got an informal offer of admission, but have yet to hear back from the department directly.

Any insight, news, thoughts would help ease my anxiety! :)

Nevermind. I solicited the department and they let me know the details. 15k +TAship. Good news to hear!

Best of luck to all applicants this season!

For those waiting on McGill Political Science offers, the department should start reviewing applications and sending offers in max two weeks (as it's our spring break currently - I suspect they'll meet after). They were late to start sifting through applicants this year (this informtion is coming directly from my own advisor). When it comes to the 'academic' orientation of the department, it strongly depends on what subfield you're working in. :]

For those waiting on McGill Political Science offers, the department should start reviewing applications and sending offers in max two weeks (as it's our spring break currently - I suspect they'll meet after). They were late to start sifting through applicants this year (this informtion is coming directly from my own advisor). When it comes to the 'academic' orientation of the department, it strongly depends on what subfield you're working in. :]

Would you recommend that people solicit the department if need be to get an advance on news concerning admissions? (I have a few pending offers whose deadlines are fast approaching.)

subfield: political theory & international relations

Edited by hexenkid

Would you recommend that people solicit the department if need be to get an advance on news concerning admissions? (I have a few pending offers whose deadlines are fast approaching.)

subfield: political theory & international relations

Depends on who the professor is in particular. If the email is appropriately phrased I think they'd be more than willing to help.