Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2014 Admission

cosmokramer

Dr. MacDonald is AMAZING - not just a great academic, but just a truly genuinely nice and caring person. Great choice! Moore is away at Oxford for 6 months so most likely why she didn't respond. Haven't had Lister but I've heard great things about him. All solid choices! I'm not entirely sure how many PhDs they will take this year - they had about 120 applicants for all the streams (PhD & MA). All depends on funding and whatnot. Sigh - fingers crossed, eh?! :)

Oh, and Dr. Rita Dhamoon at UVIC is a phenomenal prof if you were looking for second supervision at UVIC!

Yes, yes, yes! Rita Dhamoon is a huge consideration for a second supervision. I didn't know about her until I submitted my app, or I would have included her in my SOP as a potential supervisor as well. Hopefully, I get both her and Eisenberg. That'd be great. Oh, also, Prof. MacDonald told me she's taking about 2 students this year. You + Me = 2, right? :)

Ps. I could tell prof. MacDonald is amazing. Whoever gets her hits the jackpot.  All the best to you, marlise! Plz keep me updated!

I applied to York's Poli Sci and Social and Political Thought PhD programs, political theory major (Hegel/Marx/Frankfurt School). Received MA results from them first week of march last year, so I'm hoping to hear back in the next few weeks (but of course am irrationally checking myfile several times daily)!

I am American and applied to York in polisci, I believe my primary focus was comparative political econ and secondary, marxist theory, I think. To confirm what others of you said, I applied to 7 other schools, all in sociology in the states. So far, I'm 0 out of 3 on decisions. York would be a dream program, but the odds for foreigners are so slim, I'm not holding my breath. Good luck everyone!

Not all pure political science.. but I applied to Waterloo for an MA in Political Science, Wilfrid Laurier for the Masters of International Public Policy and Waterloo for MA of Global Governance.

Got unofficial offers from the latter 2 yesterday!

I'm guessing everyone will start to hear back early March - last year for MA programs I heard back early February from SFU (Feb 6, accepted), and then from UBC, UVIC, and Queen's (all acceptances) within the first two weeks of March.

Just a question (in case anyone knows) - is it typical to hear back later for PhD programs?

Thank you so much... I will then stop checking my email for 5 times a day. Very helpful info!!

When do we expect UBC?

For MA last year they sent out rejections around Feb. 26th (had a friend who didn't get in), I had my acceptance from them around March 1-7th if I remember correctly. PhD acceptance/rejections are supposed to be the third week of February if they follow the pattern of other years.

Edited by marlise_b

When do we expect UBC?

No idea. I haven't really applied for that university. I am not sure how the selection criteria is made though. Do they start with rejections first and through elimination, end up accepting the ones that are supposed to be admitted? The results I have seen for McGill are all rejections so far...

Accepted into York's Social and Political Thought PhD! York's Poli Sci should be next couple weeks if they are on par with last years schedule..

Congratulations. York is a great place for Political Thought.

I imagine if they've sent out PhD acceptances, they'll be notifying MA applicants soon?

MA acceptances usually follow a week or two later. That is what the trend has been for UBC over the past few years.

I applied to UBC and didn't hear anything yesterday.  Does that mean I've been rejected?  Do they usually send out all their acceptances in one day? :(

Your best bet would be to email them and find out.

Anyone have an idea of when admissions decisions for U of T come out?

Last year I was notified of acceptance into the MA program by email on March 1st, and the PhDs got notified the week earlier I believe.

Last year I was notified of acceptance into the MA program by email on March 1st, and the PhDs got notified the week earlier I believe.

I'm waiting for the PhD admissions decisions. Thanks for the info!

p.s Are you applying as well?

I'm waiting for the PhD admissions decisions. Thanks for the info!

p.s Are you applying as well?

Doing my MA at U of T currently, but going to York for PhD in the fall (accepted into SPT, waiting still on Poli Sci)! York, and those departments in particular, are much more appropriate for my research interests (Critical theory/German Idealism/Historical Materialism), but its been great to spend some time at U of T! Good luck! Who are you hoping to work with/study in particular?