Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2014 Admission

cosmokramer

Does anyone know the requirements to maintain admission after acceptance? All it says (only accepted from ottawa/GPSIA) so far to just give them my transcript and proof of graduation upon graduation/completing.

I'm not having that bad of a semester. but my 1st semester (84) average was alot better than this one's (76)...   I blame my lack of effort/care on having busted my ass the past 3 semesters prior!

thanks

My only acceptance so far simply listed an average I had to maintain, but if they don't list a specific grade, I would imagine keeping your GPA in the same ballpark as it was when you applied is what they're looking for. You could contact admissions and see if they have guidelines for this.

Hi everyone. Thought I'd let you know that Carleton, Victoria and Toronto have all sent me e-mails within the past two days. I ended up getting accepted at all three. Victoria's official offer is apparently on it's way (unlikely I'll go there), Carleton has offered me 26k over two years (TA ship + scholarships) and Toronto offered me a 1k scholarship. Decision time now... :wacko:  :unsure:

Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if anyone has applied to Carleton before and seen "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" as their Application Status? I know it's silly to wonder at things like this, but having my status change right before the weekend is harrowing -- even though it's probably a good thing. It's just at that point where I know I'm wait listed for my other choices and would love to have some decent news. :)

Hey everyone. I'm just wondering if anyone has applied to Carleton before and seen "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" as their Application Status? I know it's silly to wonder at things like this, but having my status change right before the weekend is harrowing -- even though it's probably a good thing. It's just at that point where I know I'm wait listed for my other choices and would love to have some decent news. :)

This wasn't for Political Science (MPA instead), but I saw my status in Carleton Central change to "Review in Progress" and a couple days later a decision was made and I got an email (an acceptance, yay!). I'd been checking the website fairly regularly so when I saw the status change to "Review in Progress" it was only a day or two later I got the email. Good luck!!

^ So perhaps one is justified to wait for a second round of offers from U of T without losing one's hope…? Have sent multiple emails to the DGS without receiving any response. Much better to get a rejection letter, to some extent, so that I will be content with what I have already got. 

^ So perhaps one is justified to wait for a second round of offers from U of T without losing one's hope…? Have sent multiple emails to the DGS without receiving any response. Much better to get a rejection letter, to some extent, so that I will be content with what I have already got. 

I think they have only sent a few emails as of right now. The majority of emails (first round offers, that is) will be sent next week. So there is every reason to expect a positive response in the coming days. Also, you should contact the graduate assistant to find out the status of your application. 

I think they have only sent a few emails as of right now. The majority of emails (first round offers, that is) will be sent next week. So there is every reason to expect a positive response in the coming days. Also, you should contact the graduate assistant to find out the status of your application. 

Contacting the graduate administrator may be a good idea, I got my offer from her e-mail.

To the posters claiming an U of T PhD acceptance: Did you get your offer on 7th or this morning? People say that the program is sending out more offers early this week, but it seems still silent on the results board. 

I am contemplating declining it

Ah thanks for the info! - I'm contemplating pulling out just because I have great offers from other schools and it's not a great fit for me (UBC doesn't even have my main field, Gender) so I was surprised I even made the wait list... Plus not sure how long I should wait to hear about an offer that may never come! 

Looks like Carleton is getting ready to send off its first round of offers. According to Carleton Central, I have been admitted, but I haven't heard from them officially -- so folks who have applied, you may want to check the online portal.

Edit: Apparently my grammar needs work when I am in the post-acceptance high.

Edited by AsterixExclamation

Ah thanks for the info! - I'm contemplating pulling out just because I have great offers from other schools and it's not a great fit for me (UBC doesn't even have my main field, Gender) so I was surprised I even made the wait list... Plus not sure how long I should wait to hear about an offer that may never come! 

You're right..UBC is not particularly known for Gender studies...are you thinking of attending Queen's?

Looks like Carleton is getting ready to send off its first round of offers. According to Carleton Central, I have been admitted, but I haven't heard from them officially -- so folks who have applied, you may want to check the online portal.

Edit: Apparently my grammar needs work when I am in the post-acceptance high.

Yes, i got a call from the director of their Eastern European studies program today although i missed it so he left a voicemail.

You're right..UBC is not particularly known for Gender studies...are you thinking of attending Queen's?

Yup, Queen's is my top choice! Hopefully I can decide by the end of this week  :)

Oh, and to confirm from my last post: I do have an offer from Carleton University for their PhD program. Still waiting to get an email from the department itself rather than their automated system -- it is strange that they wouldn't contact me personally, given that it seems that they want me based on the funding package they have offered. Has anyone heard of this happening before? It just seems odd. But it is my first acceptance so I won't look a gift hours in the mouth!