Canadian Political Science Programs, Fall 2014 Admission

cosmokramer

Hey all - just heard I've been accepted to York's PhD Political Science Program! (Major stream - Political Theory: Modern; Minor stream - Women & Politics: Feminism and Identity).

Super surprised and excited I heard so quickly!

Congrats! How did you hear?? Waiting to hear back myself.

Congrats! How did you hear?? Waiting to hear back myself.

Thank you! I heard through email from Jlenya Sarra (one of the grad assistants) - said in the email I've been offered admission and will hear from the Graduate Program Director with a formal letter outlining the financial offer shortly. I checked MyFile and it still says "No Decision Yet" so they must not have updated their system, just sending out emails with admission notice.

Thank you! I heard through email from Jlenya Sarra (one of the grad assistants) - said in the email I've been offered admission and will hear from the Graduate Program Director with a formal letter outlining the financial offer shortly. I checked MyFile and it still says "No Decision Yet" so they must not have updated their system, just sending out emails with admission notice.

Thanks for the tip, emailed and was told I would also be receiving a formal offer of admission! Major stream political theory as well. Is York your first choice and who in particular are you hoping to work with?

Thanks for the tip, emailed and was told I would also be receiving a formal offer of admission! Major stream political theory as well. Is York your first choice and who in particular are you hoping to work with?

Congrats!! That's so exciting!  Seriously, sometimes all you need to do is email and the results are just waiting for you .

I'm not sure what my first choice is at this point - probably tied Queen's/York! 

I was hoping to do work with Professor Barbara Cameron and Professor Karen Bridget Murray at York. What about you?

Hello everybody!

I just discovered this website! It's amazing all the information I could find, it is really helpful! I am also applying in political science in the following universities any programs : 

• University of British Columbia :
    • Master of Arts in Political Science
  • McGill University :
    • Master of Arts in Political Science (Thesis) - Development Studies Option
    • Master of Arts in Political Science (Thesis) - European Studies Option
  • Université de Montréal :
    • Maîtrise en Science Politique - Affaires Publiques et Internationales
    • Maîtrise en Études Internationales
  • Sciences Po Paris (Paris Institute of Political Studies) :
    • Dual Degree in International Affairs with the London School of Economics and Political Science (first year within the Master in International Public Management at Sciences Po Paris and second year within the MSc in International Relations at the LSE)
    • Master in International Public Management at Sciences Po Paris

I hope I will have positive answers soon! If you have any informations about this program, I am interested!

Thank you!

Edited by mountroyalmontreal

I'm an international student. I've applied to York, Western and Victoria. Still am to hear from any program. Freaking out..... 

MA programs results tend to come after PhD. UVIC MA results came out March 1st last year, if that helps at all.

Congrats!! That's so exciting!  Seriously, sometimes all you need to do is email and the results are just waiting for you .

I'm not sure what my first choice is at this point - probably tied Queen's/York! 

I was hoping to do work with Professor Barbara Cameron and Professor Karen Bridget Murray at York. What about you?

Yes, very excited, and you must be as well! I hope to work with David McNally, Asher Horowitz, and Martin Breaugh. Seriously, York's Poli Sci dept is so so great for theory.. (especially if you like critical theory/continental thought as oppose to strictly liberalism/normative theory) did my undergrad there and am looking forward to returning!

Hello everybody!

I just discovered this website! It's amazing all the information I could find, it is really helpful! I am also applying in political science in the following universities any programs : 

• University of British Columbia :
    • Master of Arts in Political Science
  • McGill University :
    • Master of Arts in Political Science (Thesis) - Development Studies Option
    • Master of Arts in Political Science (Thesis) - European Studies Option
  • Université de Montréal :
    • Maîtrise en Science Politique - Affaires Publiques et Internationales
    • Maîtrise en Études Internationales
  • Sciences Po Paris (Paris Institute of Political Studies) :
    • Dual Degree in International Affairs with the London School of Economics and Political Science (first year within the Master in International Public Management at Sciences Po Paris and second year within the MSc in International Relations at the LSE)
    • Master in International Public Management at Sciences Po Paris

I hope I will have positive answers soon! If you have any informations about this program, I am interested!

Thank you!

I emailed and was told that McGill MA decisions will be released between mid-March and mid-April - sorry about that. I don't know whether McGill receives the most US applications out of all Canadian schools and thus waits until those decisions go out (if this is true, predicting their yield must be an insane business), or if this is just an institutional quirk. Short answer: you have at least three more weeks to go before you could possibly hear anything from McGill.

Edited by qeta

Yes, very excited, and you must be as well! I hope to work with David McNally, Asher Horowitz, and Martin Breaugh. Seriously, York's Poli Sci dept is so so great for theory.. (especially if you like critical theory/continental thought as oppose to strictly liberalism/normative theory) did my undergrad there and am looking forward to returning!

I'm also more into critical theory/continental philosophy, do you think York should be my top priority school? Are there other programmes in Canada that compare to it... I've applied to Western's Theory and Criticism and Victoria's Political Science (CSPT concentration) as well.. I am though particularly inclined towards post-colonial theory. (Again, I'm an international student so.. )

I emailed and was told that McGill MA decisions will be released between mid-March and mid-April - sorry about that. I don't know whether McGill receives the most US applications out of all Canadian schools and thus waits until those decisions go out (if this is true, predicting their yield must be an insane business), or if this is just an institutional quirk. Short answer: you have at least three more weeks to go before you could possibly hear anything from McGill.

Thanks for your answer! 

I saw on the McGill website FAQ: 

"When should I expect to hear from McGill?

The department aims to contact PhD applicants no later than mid-March and MA applicants no later than mid-April. Applicants may always check the status of their applications on Minerva."

As they gave the decisions for PhD on February 19 (according to this website), the next step for masters decision is probably soon!

Otherwise, I have some questions:

- What do you think about Université de Montréal and its political science programmes? It seems to me that it is a good university in terms of world rankings but nobody is talking about this university. Is it because of the language?

- According to you, what are the main differences between the MA in political science at UBC and the MA in political science at McGill University (except the length)?

Thank you!

Thanks for your answer! 

The department aims to contact PhD applicants no later than mid-March and MA applicants no later than mid-April. Applicants may always check the status of their applications on Minerva."

As they gave the decisions for PhD on February 19 (according to this website), the next step for masters decision is probably soon!

- What do you think about Université de Montréal and its political science programmes? It seems to me that it is a good university in terms of world rankings but nobody is talking about this university. Is it because of the language?

- According to you, what are the main differences between the MA in political science at UBC and the MA in political science at McGill University (except the length)?

Thank you!

I am at Université de Montréal's political science department and have applied for McGill's PhD, still waiting for a response. As far as political science is concerned, UdeM has been a terrific place for me. It is one of the best political science departments in Canada and we have a lot of renowned professors. Although you are obliged to take your classes in French, you can, most of the time, hand in your papers and thesis, in English if you like. Which professor would you rather work with?

Thanks for your answer! 

Thank you!

Are you more interested in IR? UBC seems like the place to be for IR in Canada. McGill seemed better-equipped to prepare/train me on comparative politics and methods, and those two were high on my list of criteria for selecting programs.

Hello everyone,

There is no literature on the labour market outcomes for a bachelor’s degree in political science. The last labour market outlook was published in 2007 by Statistics Canada, and the lack of current information motivated us to fill this gap with our study.

We are inviting political science bachelor’s degree-holders who obtained their degrees in 2007 or after  to participate in a short 15-question survey. If you are interested and qualify to participate, please click on this link: https://fluidsurveys.com/s/Political_Science_Market/ and feel free to forward this link to other graduates that may be interested.

We are confident that the results of our study will provide you and other political science graduates with labour market intelligence to break into the Ontario job market and/or make informed career choices.

We will publish the results of our study on the following blog: http://www.politicalsciencemarket.blog.com/ in May, 2014.

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Congratulations to the McGill admit!!! :-)

Indeed. Not sure how many of you are waiting for McGill's PhD admission results, but it seems that I have seen three rejections and one admission so far on GradCafé. Mine still says "in review". Any McGill applicants out there in the same situation as me?

I am at Université de Montréal's political science department and have applied for McGill's PhD, still waiting for a response. As far as political science is concerned, UdeM has been a terrific place for me. It is one of the best political science departments in Canada and we have a lot of renowned professors. Although you are obliged to take your classes in French, you can, most of the time, hand in your papers and thesis, in English if you like. Which professor would you rather work with?

I am also a student at Université de Montréal! I am currently finishing my Bachelor in International Studies there. I am interested by the Maîtrise en Science Politique - Affaires Publiques et Internationales with the internship track, so not directly under the supervision of a specific professor. In fact, I know that the department, the courses, and the professors are great but it is not my first choice as I did my Bachelor there. I would like to discover something else and do my studies in an English-speaking institution. But I will see what I do depending on the offer I have of course! :)

Are you more interested in IR? UBC seems like the place to be for IR in Canada. McGill seemed better-equipped to prepare/train me on comparative politics and methods, and those two were high on my list of criteria for selecting programs.

Yes, I would be more interested by international relations, but I am also interested by the options I applied for at McGill University (European Studies Option and Development Studies Option). They seem really interesting and maybe they can offer more opportunities as they focus more on a specific issue. Yet, I realized that I maybe did a wrong choice, as it is not really coherent to apply to two different options like this. Otherwise, UBC seems great but the programme is kind of short in my opinion so I'm still hesitating.

Another question: How difficult it is to enter the labour market and find a job related to the degree with a master that does not include an internship but just research (such as the Master of Arts in political science offered by UBC and McGill University)?

I've applied for international affairs programs at the Munk School at U of T, Norman Paterson at Carleton, and GSPIA at uOttawa. Just got accepted to Munk, still waiting on the other two.

Hi Archie! I'm another international affairs person. Received offers from Munk yesterday and Balsillie today, and am waiting to hear from NPSIA and GSPIA as well. :)

Congrats! Do you have a top choice?

Hi Archie! I'm another international affairs person. Received offers from Munk yesterday and Balsillie today, and am waiting to hear from NPSIA and GSPIA as well. :)

Hey there!

I also received offers from Balsillie last week - which program did you apply for?