Results

jamc8383

I was accepted to the U of Kentucky this morning! Any other (potential) Wildcats out there? If so, PM me.

Congratulations! My family is from Kentucky (Louisville), it's a great state! (Also, basketball!) 

I applied to 11 programs total. So far, I have heard back from 3 and been accepted at 3 schools (Kent State, Kentucky, and George Washington). I'm leaning heavily towards going to GW (They gave me full funding for 5 years! They received over 100 applications for just 6 slots!). But if I get accepted to Ohio State with a great funding package, I will have to think about it a little more. DC is just so great for historical research though with the National Archives, Library of Congress, and various other historical institutions nearby. The downside is that DC is crazy expensive.

Michigan shortlists are being finalized (History & Anthro-History).  The adcoms are meeting in the next week or 2.  Good luck!  

DC can be expensive but a lot of graduate students and young workers live at reasonable prices in Columbia Heights.  I would also try to find housing in the Maryland portions of the Red Line that are immediately outside of DC (bethesda/silver spring).  

It's a 5-minute drive from Alexandria into DC, or you can live near a metro station and ride straight in. GW is close to Virginia, so that helps (Georgetown is another story - there's no good way to get there, even from inside DC.) I haven't checked DC rents recently, but the Foggy Bottom area around GW is pretty uncool compared to Adams Morgan or Columbia Heights, so there might be affordable options.

Just saw jogatoronto's comment, but yes, TONS of people trying to save money live in Bethesda/MD (which is a very nice suburb, just far-ish away.)

Edited by levoyous

Michigan shortlists are being finalized (History & Anthro-History). The adcoms are meeting in the next week or 2. Good luck!

So do you think this means news by the end of the monthish? Especially if they don't announce until it makes it through the grad school? Not sure how they normally announce news. Super anxious! Edited by catsandscarves

As for DC living.... mind the Metro construction... it's going through a capital project intending to last until 2016.  You'll want to keep an eye on the construction work progress.  Last I lived in 2011-2012, Orange line was just terrible because of the Silver line construction and the Red line between Dupont Circle and Bethesda was constantly shut down.  As far as I can see, Blue and Yellow remain fairly stable, especially in Alexandria/Arlington area.

The DC Metro is just an endless, horrible nightmare in general. I moved back there from NYC for a brief stint a few years ago and had forgotten how much I hated it.

Why so much hate? I lived there for 4 years and loved the Metro. I also had a car and knew that experience, as well.