Results

jamc8383

Re: penn Not I but super curious and hoping this means news for us

I guess I find it hard to believe that of the 6 applicants on here that had interviews NONE of us have been notified of an acceptance, and now they are notifying those on the wait list...and it's none of us again. Little fishy, if you ask me.

Who knows! Maybe wait list first then acceptances? We just get to wait until we hear! Stay positive

You're right. I just keep going back to the fact that I've done all I can at this point, and it's really out of my hands. Gotta keep the hope alive!

You're right. I just keep going back to the fact that I've done all I can at this point, and it's really out of my hands. Gotta keep the hope alive!

I keep trying to tell myself that, but I know it's hard to stick to it. Glad we can remind each other all we can do is wait and support each other!

UCLA has now sent out official email notices.  Received mine today.  

Hi there, it seems yours is still the only confirmed acceptance for UCLA we have so far, may I ask what your field is?

@thedig13 I just got my rejection from UCLA at the same time as you. Does anybody ever get into two UCs? I guess that would be pushing the odds ...

@thedig13 I just got my rejection from UCLA at the same time as you. Does anybody ever get into two UCs? I guess that would be pushing the odds ...

Honestly, this entire application season has been like Alice in Wonderland for me. I've been admitted by programs that I thought were long-shots (highly selective, good-not-great fit), but I've been rejected by programs where I was almost certain I'd be admitted (slightly-less-selective, fantastic fit). Lots of people on this thread have mentioned how much of a blind-luck crapshoot the admissions process is, but the reality of it never struck me until last week.

I would absolutely second that, thedig13. Everything I thought I knew has been kind of turned on its head. But as far as your results go, I've been told that pattern is not as unusual as you might think by some students of those very selective programs. Or maybe that is just the type of student who tends to under-rate themselves going in to the season!

Edited by wiewanderlust

What a long, strange application process this has been.

Applied to five programs for 20th c. American: Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, UVa.

Waitlisted by Princeton, rejected by all the others.

Nuts to this. I'm going to learn a programming language and get a real job.

Applied to five programs for 20th c. American: Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Michigan, UVa.

Sorry to hear of your frustration! I'm sure the vast majority of us share in it.

If you don't mind, have you actually been informed of your Penn rejection or have you inferred it from hearing about the interviews/acceptances of others?

If this is your first or even second application cycle, don't give up yet! Keep a plan B, but if this is something that you really want to do with your life you can't quit because of a bad cycle. Each of those rejections could have just been a crummy roll in a crap shoot. The fact that you were waitlisted by Princeton means that you're doing something right, just shore up that application, cast a wider net, and come back swinging next year!

If this is your first or even second application cycle, don't give up yet! Keep a plan B, but if this is something that you really want to do with your life you can't quit because of a bad cycle. Each of those rejections could have just been a crummy roll in a crap shoot. The fact that you were waitlisted by Princeton means that you're doing something right, just shore up that application, cast a wider net, and come back swinging next year!

If you don't mind my asking, why did you apply a fourth round when you netted 4/8 in round 3?  Was it funding?

Edited by awells27