Results

jamc8383

Yeah, this was a bummer week. :\

I'm hoping Harvard and Yale will be posting more decisions later. Anyone have any details regarding Harvard? Were the emails from POIs?

Frustrating lack of info on the Harvard results. Harvard emails tend to be from POIs, from what I've heard, so it makes some sense that it would take a few days for all of them to get in touch with their respective students. It's a bit curious that we got three at exactly the same time; don't entirely know what to make of that. If it didn't seem too much like wishful thinking, I might be inclined to think they were fake.

Edited by levoyous

Frustrating lack of info on the Harvard results. Harvard emails tend to be from POIs, from what I've heard, so it makes some sense that it would take a few days for all of them to get in touch with their respective students. It's a bit curious that we got three at exactly the same time; don't entirely know what to make of that. If it didn't seem too much like wishful thinking, I might be inclined to think they were fake.

It's hard to tell, but I would love to side with your optimism. The results were posted around the same time as they were last cycle. A few more were added later at that time, so it's possible we'll see some more admissions next week? Just have to wait and see.

I got waitlisted for NYU. POI told me the competition was very high this year, including the medieval track. But he also told me that now I compete not with the medieval candidates but with the rest of Europe (in case someone declines the offer) Question: what did he mean? Am I competing with those students who are working on Europe or international/overseas students? Well, both makes sense and I don't know what difference it could make. Just curiosity. I have enough time to think about it until April 16-17? Sigh...

PS: can those fellows who got an offer from NYU please decline the offer NOW??? Thankkk youuu. =p

But he also told me that now I compete not with the medieval candidates but with the rest of Europe

Could mean that they'll take the best candidate overall as opposed to looking for one specific area of specialization.

Thanks for the info. I wonder why they string the interviews out over such a long period?

When they called and offered me times, they only offered one Thursday (1/30) and  two Fridays (1/31 and 2/7)...I think they were just doing them at the end of the week/when it was most convenient for faculty.

When they called and offered me times, they only offered one Thursday (1/30) and  two Fridays (1/31 and 2/7)...I think they were just doing them at the end of the week/when it was most convenient for faculty.

They told me they were only doing 1/30 and 1/31, and didn't even give me a choice between those two when I asked if it was possible. Makes sense about the ends of the week though.  

They told me they were only doing 1/30 and 1/31, and didn't even give me a choice between those two when I asked if it was possible. Makes sense about the ends of the week though.  

They told me that 1/31 was pretty booked (my options were afternoon only 2 slots). and that February 7 was totally available so this might reflect that they were doing most of their interviews in late January then the few and the additional ones they seemed to have scheduled after the first round on Feb 7th...seems like they are done though and now 7-10 days! I hope they stick to that...especially since I now have a countdown in mind ha!

I think they were just doing them at the end of the week/when it was most convenient for faculty.

Agreed. The interview seems to be a 3 member committee, so scheduling is probably pretty complicated. They only offered me 2/6, which I couldn't make. Ended up doing it the next day with only 2 faculty instead of 3. The missing member being my primary POI, so that was interesting.

Agreed. The interview seems to be a 3 member committee, so scheduling is probably pretty complicated. They only offered me 2/6, which I couldn't make. Ended up doing it the next day with only 2 faculty instead of 3. The missing member being my primary POI, so that was interesting.

If you don't mind sharing what is your area of interest? Mine is 18th-19th Century America/Borderlands/Native American history, Race.

Edited by catsandscarves

If you don't mind sharing what is your area of interest? Mine is 18th-19th Century America/Borderlands/Native American history, Race.

Korea under Japanese colonization (early 20th century) focusing on colonial collaborators and the diaspora to Japanese occupied Manchukuo.

Korea under Japanese colonization (early 20th century) focusing on colonial collaborators and the diaspora to Japanese occupied Manchukuo.

wow really awesome! I love hearing about everyone's interests on here. Such varied interests and ideas. Best of luck on Penn. Keep us posted if you hear anything and we will do the same...5-8 days left now right?! haha

7-10 days! I hope they stick to that

I had the Director of the Graduate Group on my call (don't know if he was on all of them). He didn't give me the 7-10day window, the other faculty member did. But I assume they are both on the admissions committee, and the Director didn't correct him. That being said, please don't kill me if they don't make that timeline. ><

I had the Director of the Graduate Group on my call (don't know if he was on all of them). He didn't give me the 7-10day window, the other faculty member did. But I assume they are both on the admissions committee, and the Director didn't correct him. That being said, please don't kill me if they don't make that timeline. ><

haha I will not kill you. Yes, he was on my call as well. They told me plan to hear by the end of the month so that is the deadline I am holding them to (not you :))

I think the DGG was on every call. Of course we won't kill you, but that timeline gets us right in the zone of when they've announced the past few years.

I'm so tired of this, everybody. So ready to move on, one way or another.

I think the DGG was on every call. Of course we won't kill you, but that timeline gets us right in the zone of when they've announced the past few years.

I'm so tired of this, everybody. So ready to move on, one way or another.

Stay strong! This is sadly only the beginning. I saw someone posted on the results board they got a letter from Madison...they posted acceptances and will not be announcing funding until March...it will NEVER end...

well...it will..it will just feel like forever. I guess it helped me to think about the fact that we have 2 months left until we will be making decisions...that is not a long time AT ALL. gives me some sense of relief and helps me get through.

I was accepted to the U of Kentucky this morning! Any other (potential) Wildcats out there? If so, PM me.

Congrats on the acceptance. Your the first I've seen accepted to Kentucky...still waiting to hear from them myself. How did you hear?

Edited by cwkinder33

The others might not kill you, but I will. I know where you live. (hi, friend) (we now return you to your regularly scheduled waiting game)

Seriously, though, i have nothing to say except good luck, y'all.

Could mean that they'll take the best candidate overall as opposed to looking for one specific area of specialization.

Europe means an area of specialization (as opposed to american or african history) or Europe means the European students (as opposed to american students)? That is the question =)

Edited by Sknma

Europe means an area of specialization (as opposed to american or african history) or Europe means the European students (as opposed to american students)? That is the question =)

Much more likely they have a quota on area of study than on the place their students are coming from, given it's a private school. So, probably Europe as an area of specialization.

Much more likely they have a quota on area of study than on the place their students are coming from, given it's a private school. So, probably Europe as an area of specialization.

Well, I have no idea how the system in the states works like if they have an aim to keep the student profile very international (as here in my current university, they make sure to do that). That was why i asked.

Thank you very much =)

Howdy. I hope everyone's waiting ends soon with positive results.  I just heard back from my first school today and it was positive news at the University of Washington.  The offer was pretty darn generous and they are my top choice.  Good luck, fellow history students!

Howdy. I hope everyone's waiting ends soon with positive results.  I just heard back from my first school today and it was positive news at the University of Washington.  The offer was pretty darn generous and they are my top choice.  Good luck, fellow history students!

Congrats to you! Washington is an excellent program!