Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I received my first rejection today!  It was actually at the school that was the most competitive of all the schools I applied to and it was more my wife's dream school/location.  I know it's a rejection, but it was still exciting to be able to cross one off the list! :)  Applying to 15, I wouldn't want to have to decide between more than a few!  

haha thanks!  and it's so true.  My wife will have a piece of her heart crumble...  but she knows I did not want to go there so I think she will understand.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

@twinguy... yes, yes it is :)

@ImpulsiveNixie and Sayjo... Looks like you both have two acceptances, CONGRATULATIONS!

As I've been watching the result page it has been great to see some success stories showing that stats aren't everything. I love seeing that there are some schools looking beyond the numbers! Though I did all I could to have competitive stats, there are definitely areas where I still fall short. However, it gives me hope and I am grateful for the schools out there that look for students who fit their program and not the stats that fit. I hope you all have been noticing the same and feeling the excitement of pending acceptances in the air. (Okay, stepping off my soap box now ;)).

Best wishes everyone!

Edited by SweetPea21

Congrats, twinguy7! That's something, especially with the high turnover of SLP acceptance offers! Granted someone will turn down their offer and someone on the wait-list, hopefully you, will get in! 

Edited by DeafAudi

Thanks @ Dearaudi, Sammehh and Caterpillar! 

I am confident that if there ARE a lot of declined acceptances that I will come off the waitlist! :)  and if not, they do spring admissions and I think my application might be that much stronger to push me over the edge in spring because it'd be the 2nd try there.  :)

@twinguy - Just thought I'd let you know, my profs at GVSU said we won't be hearing anything until late March!! Kind of bummed, wish they would get the ball rolling a little sooner, but oh well! 

It's one of the reasons I am hoping for the Pacific Northwest. I gave been so spoiled in San Diego with all of its craft awesomeness that it's hard to give up going back to the east coast... :-/

When you are an SLP and making the big bucks you must make that trip!

Portlander here! Anytime you get a chance to come, I highly recommend it. It is the best place on Earth!

=)

@twinguy - Just thought I'd let you know, my profs at GVSU said we won't be hearing anything until late March!! Kind of bummed, wish they would get the ball rolling a little sooner, but oh well!

Thanks Karita! I noticed last year it was later in March also.

Hi, @Karita ,

I am applying to grand valley as well. Not until late march?! How are they going to conduct interviews and let us know by April 15?? (The date when most schools wants everyone to decide by...)

Hi, @Karita ,

I am applying to grand valley as well. Not until late march?! How are they going to conduct interviews and let us know by April 15?? (The date when most schools wants everyone to decide by...)

Actually, my classmates and I are still confused about whether or not they are doing interviews this year. As of now, I don't think they are, but I do wish they would give us more time to decide. I'm on spring break, but I'll try to find out about interviews when we go back!

Actually, my classmates and I are still confused about whether or not they are doing interviews this year. As of now, I don't think they are, but I do wish they would give us more time to decide. I'm on spring break, but I'll try to find out about interviews when we go back!

Ohh i see! Thank you! Enjoy spring break :)

I am applying to UO, which is only ranked 45th. It's still pretty competitive though. I know since they dropped their Application Essay many more people are applying this year. Though it makes me wonder about the quality of the applicants...