Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

haha I made some chocolate chip pumpkin cookies yesterday :)  And you should try spreading Nutella on a thin pizza crust and slice bananas over the nutella and then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake for like 8-10 minutes!  BOMB! :)

The pumpkin cookies are even easier to make and good for you(well the pumkin part at least). 

1 pkg spice cake mix

1 15oz. can of any pumpkin filling(the cans you see around thanksgiving time)

1 pkg chocolate chips(can also make without if you want)

Mix the 3 ingredients together and scoop spoon sized lumps onto a cookie sheet lined with tin foil.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes!  :)   MMMmmmmmmm!

Ummmmmm why don't I come to this thread more often!?!? This is obviously the place where I get fat and happy! 

So I know I'm bombarding the forums... But I would really appreciate your guys' help on this...

University of Oregon was the only school to accept me and they had been my back up. To the point that I really don't know anything about their program except for what is on their website. I have asked people around my campus but no one seems to know anything. I was hoping someone on here would have something to give me so I'm not completely clueless and so I can feel better about going into the program.

Anything you know would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

I'll even take anything you've been told from someone who asked someone who was told by someone else... etc. :]

@twinguy7

I actually just got the email yesterday... right when I was in the middle of a tour with my family at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory (for spring break)... I'm sure I freaked out the other families on the tour with my shouts of excitement, jumping, fist pumps, and near-tears of joy (but I had to open the email as soon as I got it)  :)

OMG!!! I loooooove the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory. My Dad took me when I was little (he lived in Dallas) and it was so much fun. 

PS! Congrats on NAU! It is amazingly beautiful up there in Flagstaff. It's a beauty like no other. 

@twinguy7 how did your interview go with GVSU?

My interview is on thursday(20th) via Skype.  I will let ya know how it goes!  There is a writing portion I am doing tomorrow at a testing center that goes with the interview.

today was a better day!  I had a great interview with GVSU and I just got home from work and was wait listed(woohoo  my 2nd!) at Eastern New Mexico University!   :)

Great to hear, twinguy7!!! :) Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Great to hear, twinguy7!!! :) Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Great to hear of your interview success, Twinguy7! Best of luck.

Awesome awesome awesome! Awesome! 

Thanks to all of you!  In addition to keeping fingers and toes crossed... I think I need hair braided as well!  I could use all the good "ju ju", "vibes", "spirit fingers" etc that I can get!  :)  

So far I have only heard back from one school (PSU) and it was a denial.  While I could have guessed that, I had high hopes for PSU.  I fall pretty much in the middle as far as competitive GRE scores/GPA, although my major GPA and minor GPA are much more competitive than my overall. However, I have a background of working in a medical clinic that has taught me a great deal and have presented research at both my state's convention and ASHA. I'm hoping it's the push I need to break through the norm!

I applied to mostly smaller schools in the PA area, although that does not mean they aren't great schools! Has anyone heard from any of these schools??

Nervously waiting just like the rest of you! :unsure:

Ah, this is the thread I belong in. My GPA is barely at 3.0! Not including winter and spring 2014 quarter grades. So hopefully I'll be able to bring my GPA up a little before I graduate. This is my last 90 credits GPA. I think my overall is more like 3.2. My verbal GRE score is 153 and my math is a horrifying 146. Writing is 3.5 which is weird because I'm actually a good writer. 2/3 of my letters of rec were from professors who liked me/whose classes I did well in so hopefully that'll help me a lot. I live in Washington and the schools around me are average in terms of competitiveness I'd say. Except UW. I only applied to two schools this time around because I know I'll have a higher GPA once I've graduated and then next year if I don't get in I'll apply to a lot more schools. 

My verbal GRE score is 153 and my math is a horrifying 146. Writing is 3.5 which is weird because I'm actually a good writer. 2/3 of my letters of rec were from professors who liked me/whose classes I did well in so hopefully that'll help me a lot.

The GRE is so strange like that! I have plenty of friends that are in your boat, too. I took an online prep-course, and what I learned is that the GRE doesn't entirely base it's score on how well you write, but how the prompt is answered. There are certain things that need to be addressed in a particular way in order to get more credit for the points. I improved an entire point on my writing score after taking the prep course, though, so they may be on to something! And also, it's a pretty subjective grading system when you think about it! The same person doesn't read every essay, so it's really hard to get a good grasp on what the score really means. 

Good luck to you! :)

Thanks to all of you!  In addition to keeping fingers and toes crossed... I think I need hair braided as well!  I could use all the good "ju ju", "vibes", "spirit fingers" etc that I can get!   :)

Twinguy7, you are so funny :P I actually just braided my hair just for you!!! Best wishes!!!

Hi everyone! I just found this forum and would like to know if anyone could post their stats for the schools that they got accepted in to? I'm planning on applying for Fall 2015 and woud like to know what are my chances of getting in? Unfortunately, my gpa isn't  great :(  I have an overall gpa of 3.45 & major gpa 3.50. I'm volunteering at a hospital setting as a shadow for an SLP and interning as an SLPA right now. I'm planning to re-take my GRE since I did very poorly on it. I'm feeling very discouraged and debating on whether  I should just take off a whole year to intern as an SLPA to get more experience or apply for grad school.  WAH help ! thanks in advance

Edited by MN1231991

Just received an acceptance email to the University of Central Arkansas with offer of an assistantship to help pay first year tuition. I will be turning this offer down since I've already accepted another school's offer so hopefully that will open up a spot for someone. Good luck to those who also applied to UCA!!!

Just received an acceptance email to the University of Central Arkansas with offer of an assistantship to help pay first year tuition. I will be turning this offer down since I've already accepted another school's offer so hopefully that will open up a spot for someone. Good luck to those who also applied to UCA!!!

Congrats SweetPea! 

Hi everyone! I just found this forum and would like to know if anyone could post their stats for the schools that they got accepted in to? I'm planning on applying for Fall 2015 and woud like to know what are my chances of getting in? Unfortunately, my gpa isn't  great :(  I have an overall gpa of 3.45 & major gpa 3.50. I'm volunteering at a hospital setting as a shadow for an SLP and interning as an SLPA right now. I'm planning to re-take my GRE since I did very poorly on it. I'm feeling very discouraged and debating on whether  I should just take off a whole year to intern as an SLPA to get more experience or apply for grad school.  WAH help ! thanks in advance

Hi! This is my 2nd year applying to schools (last year all wait lists then 1 turned into yes, this year all "yes"es) and from my perspective, reading stats of accepted students doesn't help much. A lot of people tend to have similiar statistics for the various clusters of schools. I think the personal statement, LORs and interviews are really what set people apart from one another. Grad school admissions also seem to have so much variability in what someone's chances are even if you "match" their average acceptance stats. But if you want to check stats anyhow for specific schools head to the main search page and you can look up past results for each school you're interested in. Best of luck :)

How do you add your stats and schools like a lot of people have done? I would like to share mine.

Gendertreachery, go to your profile and put them in your signature.  Click My Settings

Edited by Arcanelady27

Hi! I'm in the same boat as many of you my overall GPA is not too fabulous 3.43 & major GPA 3.82. I have a lot of volunteer hours with Hippotherapy and have had the opportunity to nanny for a young boy who has a speech disorder and have been with the family since therapy has begun. I take the child to therapy each week,so I get to observe different therapy techniques... ANYWAYs I thought my volunteer work and work history would override my low GRE scores and not to hot overall GPA....looks like I was wrong.

Has anyone heard back from western Kentucky university or texas state university?

Ugh, I'm tired of waiting...

Hi! I'm in the same boat as many of you my overall GPA is not too fabulous 3.43 & major GPA 3.82. I have a lot of volunteer hours with Hippotherapy and have had the opportunity to nanny for a young boy who has a speech disorder and have been with the family since therapy has begun. I take the child to therapy each week,so I get to observe different therapy techniques... ANYWAYs I thought my volunteer work and work history would override my low GRE scores and not to hot overall GPA....looks like I was wrong.

Has anyone heard back from western Kentucky university or texas state university?

We won't be hearing from Texas State until April! Ugh! I'm dying to. Also I found out that Texas is on an A B C D scale and they calculate your gpa based on their grading system, so if your like me and have been knocked down by minuses this could help you. Good luck!

Ahhhhh I meant to respond to your post and I gave you a minus by accident! How do I fix it? I'm so sorry.