Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I know, right? I was pretty confident about getting in to school, but have not gotten one offer yet. I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong. I'm wondering if one of my professors gave a less than glowing recommendation. I might not have put enough work into my personal statement. I'm not a strong writer so I know it could have been better. I'll admit that I thought I could rely on my stats to get me in and I should have worried about other parts of my application more. 

Honestly I think the statement is probably the most weighted part of the application. My GPA was not stellar (though I had excellent GRE scores) but I put my soul into my statement (sounds cliche but I was really honest in it) and I got into a Canadian program with a ~6% acceptance rate. If you don't get in this round, I'd work on your statement. Also when I asked my references for letters, I gave them my statement for each school and my CV and everything so that they could see how I was presenting myself and know what to corroborate/elaborate on in my letter. 

Honestly I think the statement is probably the most weighted part of the application. My GPA was not stellar (though I had excellent GRE scores) but I put my soul into my statement (sounds cliche but I was really honest in it) and I got into a Canadian program with a ~6% acceptance rate. If you don't get in this round, I'd work on your statement. Also when I asked my references for letters, I gave them my statement for each school and my CV and everything so that they could see how I was presenting myself and know what to corroborate/elaborate on in my letter. 

I'll preface this with the fact that I haven't applied yet, but will be for Fall 2015, so you can dismiss what I have to say if you want to.

I agree 100% with this. It's a little frustrating to see all the focus people here put on numbers. You don't apply to a school and give only your GPA/GRE; why would you think that's all that matters? Especially when you're getting into a highly competitive field like SLP grad programs. As someone who considers themself a "less competitive applicant" due to my lower GPA (in my major and overall) I'm going to (try to) make my personal statements the best writing I've done in my life. "Putting your soul" into your statement sounds like a great start.

The only reason we care so much about numbers here is because it's the only thing we can share so easily with each other, and it's an easy, albeit inaccurate, gauge. I'm not going to post my resume or post my personal statement in my signature, but I can easily post numbers. But those numbers alone don't define me or my application, and they don't define any one else's, either. They are important, of course. After all, I even call myself a "less competitive applicant" because I know they do matter and because the average GPA for most programs is high, and much higher than mine. But that statement of purpose and those letters of rec are important too. This is something I think is especially true for those of us who consider ourselves "less competitive" because our numbers are lower, or even if your experience is limited. But don't forget there is more to an application than your GPA and GRE, and it's worthwhile to put as much time as possible and then some into your SOP.

Let me also add that I do not think the GRE is the end of your application alone, but it's good to do well on it. I'm taking it on Sunday, and I have studied a lot for it, so I do think it is important. :P But it's not the only important thing. However, if you can improve it, it wouldn't hurt to take it again. The average GRE for SLP admissions is actually fairly low, so if you can shoot to be in the range or above depending on your school, it can't hurt. But remember that the GRE only tests how well you can take the GRE and nothing more, so if you really can't hit those ranges, don't feel bad.

Edited by MangoSmoothie

I'll preface this with the fact that I haven't applied yet, but will be for Fall 2015, so you can dismiss what I have to say if you want to.

I agree 100% with this. It's a little frustrating to see all the focus people here put on numbers. You don't apply to a school and give only your GPA/GRE; why would you think that's all that matters? Especially when you're getting into a highly competitive field like SLP grad programs. As someone who considers themself a "less competitive applicant" due to my lower GPA (in my major and overall) I'm going to (try to) make my personal statements the best writing I've done in my life. "Putting your soul" into your statement sounds like a great start.

The only reason we care so much about numbers here is because it's the only thing we can share so easily with each other, and it's an easy, albeit inaccurate, gauge. I'm not going to post my resume or post my personal statement in my signature, but I can easily post numbers. But those numbers alone don't define me or my application, and they don't define any one else's, either. They are important, of course. After all, I even call myself a "less competitive applicant" because I know they do matter and because the average GPA for most programs is high, and much higher than mine. But that statement of purpose and those letters of rec are important too. This is something I think is especially true for those of us who consider ourselves "less competitive" because our numbers are lower, or even if your experience is limited. But don't forget there is more to an application than your GPA and GRE, and it's worthwhile to put as much time as possible and then some into your SOP.

Let me also add that I do not think the GRE is the end of your application alone, but it's good to do well on it. I'm taking it on Sunday, and I have studied a lot for it, so I do think it is important. :P But it's not the only important thing. However, if you can improve it, it wouldn't hurt to take it again. The average GRE for SLP admissions is actually fairly low, so if you can shoot to be in the range or above depending on your school, it can't hurt. But remember that the GRE only tests how well you can take the GRE and nothing more, so if you really can't hit those ranges, don't feel bad.

Definitely! Honestly the reason GPA and GRE are so competitive in this field is because we know that the programs are incredibly demanding. Schools want to know that you will be capable of handling the workload and the level of difficulty of the material, and of becoming a successful clinician. In order to do that you need to know how to study effectively and use time management. Having a good GPA and GRE generally reflects that ability. That being said, we are human beings and not test-taking/degree-getting robots and admissions committees do appreciate that - otherwise they wouldn't ask for reference letters and statements, it would all be a numbers game. Schools want to accept applicants who they feel confident will be able to successfully complete their program. Most of the people I've spoken to already in programs say that once you're in, the "competition" factor is gone - no one competes with each other because you're all there for the same goal, becoming an SLP, not competing for grades like in undergrad. The fierce competition part is just getting in.

In your statement, I would focus on demonstrating your passion for the field and highlighting the fact that you are prepared for graduate level coursework. That's what they want and that's why this program is so competitive. Since the programs are so small, they don't want to accept a class of 30 people and only have 20 of them become clinicians - that'd be a waste of time, spots, and resources. They want to feel like you are 100% a sure bet, and if your "scores" don't impress that ability you need to convince them in other ways. 

OMG WHAT DID IT SAY? Send them a nasty thanks I hope!

I worked with her for two years as an SLPA.  She acted like she had so much interest in me.  She put that she doesn't know me well and that she will recommend with reservations.  Had i known i would have gone back to where i did my volunteer work years ago.  I got a letter from them, but it it is awhile ago, and the schools have their own forms so i couldn't really just send that letter.

I think my biggest mistake was asking my professor from my leveling coursework to write a rec. The courses are online, so she really doesn't know me personally. Also the first two semesters were not my best. I got a's but I had been out of school for 7 years and now have two small children, so I struggled at first to juggle it all. So that professor probably doesn't have a a whole lot to say about my character but could comment on some of the mistakes I made early on. 

Let me ask you guys if this is crazy. SInce applying, I have been doing really well in my leveling courses. I feel like i've finally got it the hang of juggling all my responsibilities. My grades are nearly perfect, two points away. I've made every class and handed in my work ahead of schedule every week. Would it be crazy to ask my professor to send UNC a note commenting on my performance this semester? 

This is so exciting for you! Congrats!! You totally deserve it. All your hard work finally paid off. Now it's time to start planning! Good luck :)

Accepted to my first school!!!! Grand Valley State University!!!!

I am so excited for you!!! Judging from your awesome personality on this site I think you are going to one day make an amazing clinician. A huge congratulations to you!!!! Yay!!!

That is amazing! I've been quietly following your journey and have never been so happy for someone I've never met! My stats are similar to yours and your perseverance gave me the courage to pursue this field and start my 2nd bachelors. Way to go... You truly deserve this!!!!

This is so exciting for you! Congrats!! You totally deserve it. All your hard work finally paid off. Now it's time to start planning! Good luck :)

Congrats, twinguy7! GO CELEBRATE!

Yay!! I am so happy. I have been following your posts throughout this process and I have to say you are a true inspiration and are going to make an amazing SLP!

I am so excited for you!!! Judging from your awesome personality on this site I think you are going to one day make an amazing clinician. A huge congratulations to you!!!! Yay!!!

That is amazing! I've been quietly following your journey and have never been so happy for someone I've never met! My stats are similar to yours and your perseverance gave me the courage to pursue this field and start my 2nd bachelors. Way to go... You truly deserve this!!!!

WOW!  I am sooo humbled to be accepted into a grad program, but I am humbled even more to realize that I was accepted months ago by all of you, my loving SLP family!  Thanks for the outcry of support and love!  We all need it and hope it continues for everyone in the SLP family!  Love you guys(I guess mostly gals,  :) )!  

lol  I was working this morning at one of the charter schools I do speech services at in Pasadena, CA(yes the same Pasadena where Sheldon, Leonard, Penny, Raj, and Amy live).  I was having one of my kiddos work on a crossword puzzle and checked my email on my IPAD and when I saw that the little sentence said let us know if you accept or decline I was like wait.....  this MUST BE AN ACCEPTANCE!!!  so I opened the attachment and it was!  It was hard to show any emotion since I didn't want the kiddo to thin I was weird!  hahah  I had to wait until I got home about 3 hours later to celebrate with my Wife!  :)

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's amazing news :D

Congratulations katielea and twinguy!! You both will make excellent slps.

Now I will be sitting on the edge of my seat the rest of this week while I wait to hear something from ISU.

I applied to Meridian as my first choice, Pocatello second and Distance 3rd.  CONGRATS KaiteLea!  And good luck Ballerina18!