Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I got an email from GVSU asking for an interview-but it's in person. 1,000 miles away...

I am in the same Dilemma!  I would be coming form California!  I'm thinking of emailing and asking if there are any alternatives, if not, I guess we gotta find a way to make it happen!  

Yea, it does sound intense! I'm interested to hear what the current grad students think of the program. I would think they would find some way to make it work for out-of-area students! Good luck everyone!

It seems that a SKYPE interview can be had by contacting the emails listed in the GVSU interview email and requesting one.  I emailed Valinda and she said Dr. Macaule asked that I email her to set up a SKYPE interview.  

Congrates to those of you receiving interview invites... so exciting!!! The one I did they preferred in-person so I had to fly out and fly back within a short timeframe so I feel for you. Can be stressful but hopefully worth it in the end if it all turns out in your favor :)

I've been following this thread for a while, haven't posted anything but today I feel inspired to chime in!  First I just want to say you guys are all SO awesome and supportive.  It is really nice to see people that are in a similar boat as I am so hard to achieve our goals and encouraging each other.  I really hope everyone on here finds success this application cycle!  (Especially you, @twinguy7!  Your spirit rocks!)

This is my second time applying for admission - first time was for entry Fall 2012.  I've worked really hard on myself and my application the past two years and am having a second go this year!  I applied to 11 schools and so far have received 2 rejections (Rush and BU) and was placed on 1 waitlist (MGH!).  Still waiting to hear from a number of "less competitive" programs.  I've been holding it together pretty well this time, but the roller coaster nature of the application process is starting to get to me!!!!!!!  I wish there was more transparency.  Just when I think I have a chance at getting into one school, they reject me!  When I'm sure I've been rejected from another, I get put on the waitlist and the anxiety continues!  At this point, I'm sure we're all feeling this way.  Any words of wisdom or tips on staying sane?! It's crunch time!!!!  :)

I've been following this thread for a while, haven't posted anything but today I feel inspired to chime in!  First I just want to say you guys are all SO awesome and supportive.  It is really nice to see people that are in a similar boat as I am so hard to achieve our goals and encouraging each other.  I really hope everyone on here finds success this application cycle!  (Especially you, @twinguy7!  Your spirit rocks!)

This is my second time applying for admission - first time was for entry Fall 2012.  I've worked really hard on myself and my application the past two years and am having a second go this year!  I applied to 11 schools and so far have received 2 rejections (Rush and BU) and was placed on 1 waitlist (MGH!).  Still waiting to hear from a number of "less competitive" programs.  I've been holding it together pretty well this time, but the roller coaster nature of the application process is starting to get to me!!!!!!!  I wish there was more transparency.  Just when I think I have a chance at getting into one school, they reject me!  When I'm sure I've been rejected from another, I get put on the waitlist and the anxiety continues!  At this point, I'm sure we're all feeling this way.  Any words of wisdom or tips on staying sane?! It's crunch time!!!!  :)

Thanks @ eaf88!

I think with the number of programs you applied to and the time you dedicated to yourself and your applications will definitely pay off! And I can't agree with you anymore about the roller coaster the application season is. In the same day I found out I was rejected from one school and about 2 hours later I get an email for an interview for another. It's crazy!

Just randomly thought about Grad Cafe while I was speaking with a friend who is applying to SLP grad school! I was in your shoes the last two years. I didn't get in the first time I applied (wait-listed at 7/10 schools) and I got in the second time but was initially wait-listed at 5/6 schools and worked my way off two of the lists! It's stressful and the waiting game will eat away at you. Make sure to venture off grad cafe because it doesn't help with your anxiety!! But it's a great support system!! Good luck to all of you. :) You will LOVE grad school. It's definitely worth all the frustration and tears the application process causes!

Hi everyone!  I just found this forum, and I just wanted to say good luck to everyone!!  I am new to the world of those pursuing speech-language pathology, but forums like these keep me motivated.  I had a very poor college GPA but in my teaching credential courses and my first M.A. (special education) I have earned a 4.0 so I'm hoping that (along with my post-bacc courses I'm starting this fall) will help me when I apply for 2016 Fall admission.  I will continue to follow this board, and cheer you all on as you begin to hear back.  Again, good luck and I hope you all get in where you want this year!! :)

To GVSU applicants:

I talked to Dr. Halling today. He said to email Dr. Macauley to set up a skype appointment if you need to. Her email is macauleb@gvsu.edu I believe. It's on the email about the interview.

HOWEVER, he also said that he strongly recommends coming if you are able and are very interested in the program. He says they prefer it, as it is hard to get to know someone over Skype. 

I hope this helps you guys! Good luck!

To GVSU applicants:

I talked to Dr. Halling today. He said to email Dr. Macauley to set up a skype appointment if you need to. Her email is macauleb@gvsu.edu I believe. It's on the email about the interview.

HOWEVER, he also said that he strongly recommends coming if you are able and are very interested in the program. He says they prefer it, as it is hard to get to know someone over Skype. 

I hope this helps you guys! Good luck!

Thanks Karita! 

I have not heard back from Dr. Macauley and emailed Dr. Halling today about it.  So i'm sure he will give me the same advice.  Looks like I may be going to Michigan!   Gotta look up flights/options.  Thanks again!

Welp, One more school down.  Just got my rejection email from University of the Pacific(Stockton).  10 more schools to hear from!  :)

thanks Caterpillar.... the rejections are not so bad since I reminded myself that I realistically should be lucky to get wait listed at a few schools :) So 10 more to go!

I need your positivity through this process! The jar of Nutella I ate after being rejected to my top choice would agree with me also.

I need your positivity through this process! The jar of Nutella I ate after being rejected to my top choice would agree with me also.

haha I made some chocolate chip pumpkin cookies yesterday :)  And you should try spreading Nutella on a thin pizza crust and slice bananas over the nutella and then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake for like 8-10 minutes!  BOMB! :)

@ twinguy7

Bummer about Univ of the Pacific. You still have so many opportunities to hear back and I'm excited to see who will nab you up. I received a series of rejections before I finally was accepted, you just have to keep plugging on until that ONE comes along. It only takes one :)

Love your outlook! Keep us posted!

Edited by SweetPea21

@twinguy7

I actually just got the email yesterday... right when I was in the middle of a tour with my family at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory (for spring break)... I'm sure I freaked out the other families on the tour with my shouts of excitement, jumping, fist pumps, and near-tears of joy (but I had to open the email as soon as I got it)  :)

Edited by SweetPea21

LOL !! Too funny, I hear ya! 

haha I made some chocolate chip pumpkin cookies yesterday :)  And you should try spreading Nutella on a thin pizza crust and slice bananas over the nutella and then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake for like 8-10 minutes!  BOMB! :)

That sounds phenomenal, can't wait to try!!

The pumpkin cookies are even easier to make and good for you(well the pumkin part at least). 

1 pkg spice cake mix

1 15oz. can of any pumpkin filling(the cans you see around thanksgiving time)

1 pkg chocolate chips(can also make without if you want)

Mix the 3 ingredients together and scoop spoon sized lumps onto a cookie sheet lined with tin foil.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes!  :)   MMMmmmmmmm!

@twinguy7

I actually just got the email yesterday... right when I was in the middle of a tour with my family at the Blue Bell Ice Cream factory (for spring break)... I'm sure I freaked out the other families on the tour with my shouts of excitement, jumping, fist pumps, and near-tears of joy (but I had to open the email as soon as I got it)  :)

Congratulations SweetPea! What a relief for you!!