Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I'm going to grad school! :D OMG!

I got the call today notifying me that I was pulled from the waitlist for the Idaho State University Meridian SLP graduate program! I was pleasantly surprised to get the call! I didn't think grad school was going to happen for me this year. Meridian was my second choice, but I am thrilled. They said they would notify me if a spot opened up for the online program (my 1st choice), but there are 8 other people ahead of me for the online program so I'm pretty sure Meridian will be my grad school home! I couldn't be happier.

So exciting after this wait!!! Congrats!!

• 2 months later...

Twinguy7,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am currently applying to ENMU for spring admissions. I noticed that you also applied there. I'm wondering if you would be willing to proofread my essay? It would be so helpful to hear the thoughts of an applicant who has been through the process and successfully accepted to a program.

Twinguy7,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I am currently applying to ENMU for spring admissions. I noticed that you also applied there. I'm wondering if you would be willing to proofread my essay? It would be so helpful to hear the thoughts of an applicant who has been through the process and successfully accepted to a program.

Sure I will message you and you can send me your essay there or to my email address.

What I did was just start on the "U.S. rankings of schools" and started with the lowest ranked school and checked their website for info on GRE, GPA, Tuition, Etc. and emailed the program coordinator for that school asking for information that I could not find.  I set up a chart of like 10 questions and filled out the info I could find on their website and asked them to verify and fill in any missing items.  

I then followed up each returned email with a straight forward email about my GPA, GRE scores and my experience and asked what I could do to improve my application to their school for the following year and most importantly... IF they had admitted someone last year with my similar GPA, GRE and experiences.  

The email back after that 2nd email helped me decide if I would apply to that school or not.  The directors were straight forward and would tell me if I would be competitive in their application pool.  

Another piece of advice is to make sure that the schools you apply to truly believe that you want to go to their school.  If schools think that they are your back up school, they will reject you even if you have competitive stats and experience.  

Hope that helps some!   :)

Hi  @twinguy7, great advice!  As you can see I am going to be sending out my second round of applications this coming winter.  I have been e-mailing a lot of different schools and have seen that this is helping me decide which schools I should apply to.  I noticed you said you then e-mailed the schools a second time and mentioned your stats.  I was thinking about doing the same thing.  Were most of the directors you e-mailed pretty straight forward saying if you should/shouldn't apply, or did most say they can't comment on that?  Thanks!

Hi  @twinguy7, great advice!  As you can see I am going to be sending out my second round of applications this coming winter.  I have been e-mailing a lot of different schools and have seen that this is helping me decide which schools I should apply to.  I noticed you said you then e-mailed the schools a second time and mentioned your stats.  I was thinking about doing the same thing.  Were most of the directors you e-mailed pretty straight forward saying if you should/shouldn't apply, or did most say they can't comment on that?  Thanks!

Hi Lakegirl92,

I would say 100% of them commented back and said yes, I should or no I shouldn't apply to their school.   The ones who said I shouldn't apply to their schools, were nice and would sometimes tell me which school they think still took chances on students with my grades.  Now i want to add a caution though because some of those schools who told me I should apply were also schools that never had any intent on REALLY considering me.  They just wanted the $$$ of my application. etc.  I hope you find some schools who give you a yes and that you get into a school that will value you and not just your GPA.  :)  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lakegirl92,

I would say 100% of them commented back and said yes, I should or no I shouldn't apply to their school.   The ones who said I shouldn't apply to their schools, were nice and would sometimes tell me which school they think still took chances on students with my grades.  Now i want to add a caution though because some of those schools who told me I should apply were also schools that never had any intent on REALLY considering me.  They just wanted the $$$ of my application. etc.  I hope you find some schools who give you a yes and that you get into a school that will value you and not just your GPA.   :)

twinguy7, which schools told you to apply but only wanted your funds? I'm trying to make sure I save my money.

twinguy7, which schools told you to apply but only wanted your funds? I'm trying to make sure I save my money.

Well the ones I can remember that for sure seemed like they just wanted my app $$ were West Texas A&M, U of Montana(especially), Western Carolina U, and T&M-Kingsville.  Hope that helps!

Well the ones I can remember that for sure seemed like they just wanted my app $$ were West Texas A&M, U of Montana(especially), Western Carolina U, and T&M-Kingsville.  Hope that helps!

How do you really know if they wanted just your money? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I'm reapplying this year and I want to apply with a different strategy this time around!  I'm aiming for schools that are more approptiate to my application package!  I have narrowed my list down to four but I would greatly appriciate some help from all of you to get a couple more "less competitive" schools on my list.  My GPA is 3.3 (cummlative) and my CD GPA is 3.6.  My GRE's were low (143 Q 142 V 3 W)  I'm retaking the GRE soon to help my chances but I am a HORRIBLE standardized test taker!! that test is the devil in my opinion!! lol Back to the point, do you guys know of any schools that do not require the GRE scores? I have found one school but I'm hoping there are more! help please!!! thank you so much!!!

Edited by jscalva97

Hey guys!

I'm reapplying this year and I want to apply with a different strategy this time around!  I'm aiming for schools that are more approptiate to my application package!  I have narrowed my list down to four but I would greatly appriciate some help from all of you to get a couple more "less competitive" schools on my list.  My GPA is 3.3 (cummlative) and my CD GPA is 3.6.  My GRE's were low (143 Q 142 V 3 W)  I'm retaking the GRE soon to help my chances but I am a HORRIBLE standardized test taker!! that test is the devil in my opinion!! lol Back to the point, do you guys know of any schools that do not require the GRE scores? I have found one school but I'm hoping there are more! help please!!! thank you so much!!!

Here's a link referring to your question.  Schools in CA are pretty competitive because so many people apply to it every year (in and out of state).  If you want to avoid competitive schools, I would avoid popular states like CA and New York.  I would also avoid applying to schools that are ranked high by http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/pathology-rankings

The higher the ranking, the more well known the program will likely be, leading to more applicants. 

Edited by rainsonata

Hey guys!

Texas State University in San Marcos does not require a GRE score. It's the only one I know of (I applied to 7 Texas schools last fall). I want to say there was a thread somewhere in this forum where someone posted a list of schools that did not require the GRE. Do some savvy control-F searching and hopefully you can find it.

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've heard, California is very competitive and I believe most schools really look at GPA and scores from what I've seen on here. If you can get a kick ass major GPA and last 60 hrs GPA that may help along with some amazing LORs and personal statement. That may help offshoot a low cumulative GPA. From applying in Texas, most schools said that applicants must have at least a 3.0 in cumulative GPA and 3.0 for major/CSD GPA, plus minimum of 150 and 3.0 on GRE. That was for majority of schools I applied to for them to even consider the application. If you think being a SLPA will help boost your resume (and possibly score you a LOR and things to highlight in personal statement), then I say go for it, but possibly consider doing something to boost GPA. Maybe retake some classes you did not so hot in if that's a possibility? Also, there are a few people on here who have discussed what schools look more at scores and which ones look more at the "overall picture" so check into that too!

• 3 weeks later...

Love this thread! I am going insane trying to keep up with everyone who has 4.0 GPAs. I have a 3.1 overall GPA and a 3.6 major GPA and my GRE score was a 148V 148M 4.0 essay. I am trying to fin less competitive schools to apply to because I don't want to wait another year to apply again. Makes me feel better to read this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Im beginning applications for Fall 2015. My question is: Did anyone have a lower than 3.0 overall GPA and still apply to schools that say they require a 3.0 cumulative GPA? My overall is a 2.96 but my CSD GPA is much higher! I have not taken the GRE yet. Is it worth chancing it and applying to these schools still, or will they just toss it automatically? 

Hello Macefave,

My overall was 2.77.  The best thing to do is email the schools you want to apply to and ask them about your GPA being below a 3.0.  But take a look at my stats in my "signature" and you can see that you have a better overall GPA than me and I was fortunate enough to ge some wait lists and acceptances.  Good luck!

Do you guys think employers take school into account when offering jobs?  It seems like the ability to get hired where you want when you graduate should be the main deciding factor.  I had one of the Portland (OR) public schools administrator as an instructor one semester, and she said they just looked to make sure you had your CCC, didn't matter where it was from.  Unless you want to pursue research or teach, then it would matter more.  But if you just want to go into clinical work when you're done, don't think it matters... Anyway this is my assumption, so if you've heard differently, please share!

Given that every single program, from U of Iowa to middle of nowhere U, has a nearly 100% employment rate, wherever you go, you'll find a job. This is like the one field with a critical shortage of graduates.