Fall 2014 "Less Competitive" Grad Programs Applicants Thread!

I am glad to see this is a post. My profile is very average and I am looking for some advice on the best schools to look at. My overall GPA is a 3.48 my last 60 credits are above a 3.7. I played soccer in college and had a bit of trouble balancing soccer and school during my first two years. My GRE scores are not competitive at all I have a 149 verbal and 146 quantitative, and a 4 on the writing portion. I took a year off of school because I suffered from a severe concussion playing soccer and was forced to postpone my grad school plans. During my time off I have been working as an ABA therapist in a center for kids with autism.  Some schools I am considering are Indiana State, St. Ambrose, Murray State, Bowling Green State, Eastern Illinois, Southern Illinois- Edwardsville, Fort Hays State, University Cincinnati, East Tennessee State, Midwestern, Grand Valley State, and Missouri State. Any advice is helpful! Thanks

I am glad to see this is a post. My profile is very average and I am looking for some advice on the best schools to look at. My overall GPA is a 3.48 my last 60 credits are above a 3.7. I played soccer in college and had a bit of trouble balancing soccer and school during my first two years. My GRE scores are not competitive at all I have a 149 verbal and 146 quantitative, and a 4 on the writing portion. I took a year off of school because I suffered from a severe concussion playing soccer and was forced to postpone my grad school plans. During my time off I have been working as an ABA therapist in a center for kids with autism.  Some schools I am considering are Indiana State, St. Ambrose, Murray State, Bowling Green State, Eastern Illinois, Southern Illinois- Edwardsville, Fort Hays State, University Cincinnati, East Tennessee State, Midwestern, Grand Valley State, and Missouri State. Any advice is helpful! Thanks

I think you have some good choices in Grand Valley State And Fort Hays State.  I go to Grand Valley currently and I am good friends with Fort Hays State's director of their program.  Very nice guy!

Hello all! I am reapplying for the second time around for fall 2015. I'm thinking about apying to Grand Valley State University. My overall GPA is a 3.25 with my csd GPA being an overall 3.52 graduating Cum Laude. I also retook the GRE receiving a Q 152 V 151 and writing 4.0. I am currently serving with the Americorp as a literacy tutor working with students k-3 providing rti service. I also have additional volunteer experience. Do you think I stand a chance in my applications for addmission?

@ LexM24  -  I think your grades and experience are a good fit for GVSU!  GVSU looks for not only decent grades and GRE but they REALLY want people with experience working with all populations( children and adults).  Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with WWU? I know that tons of people in Washington apply to it as a "safety school", but my advisor said that they're pretty suspicious about who actually wants to attend their program and who is just applying because they think it's less competitive.

My fiance currently attends WWU so I'm in Bellingham quite a bit and I LOVE it. It's definitely my top choice, but I don't think I'm super competitive with my grades. I'll have a 3.5 overall, 3.3 last 90 credits, and a 3.2 major GPA. Yikes, right? My first year in the program was really difficult because of some medical challenges and circumstantial difficulties. I was always really motivated to learn the information, but getting to class was physically challenging. Well I have good volunteer experience that has really shaped my love for the field such as serving on a team a few times (3 weeks at a time) in the Philippines for the International Deaf Education Association, I'm going on 5 years as a counselor/adaptive arts and crafts leader at a camp for kids with physical disabilities, tutoring in phonetics/conversation partner for non-native speakers, free support tutor for kids with special needs, past fundraiser for Autism Awareness, volunteer time with Full Life for developmentally delayed adults, and a few other things here and there. I have yet to take the GRE, but I'm not too worried about that.

I guess I just get anxious about my GPA, and it doesn't help that I can't really find very much information on Western besides ASHA's EDU find. One minute I'm like, "Yeah, I'll get into grad school. Don't stress!" then the next I'm like, "OMG OMG OMG I've ruined my life, I'll never get in!"

Seems like the common internal dialogue in this major ;)

I am really wanting to go to either Louisiana Tech or Stephen F. Austin. Does anyone have any advice on those programs and how "hard it is to get accepted?" What type of GPA/GRE scores should I have?? Thank you!!

On 12/10/2014 at 12:20 PM, MBSLP said:

Does anyone have experience with WWU? I know that tons of people in Washington apply to it as a "safety school", but my advisor said that they're pretty suspicious about who actually wants to attend their program and who is just applying because they think it's less competitive.

My fiance currently attends WWU so I'm in Bellingham quite a bit and I LOVE it. It's definitely my top choice, but I don't think I'm super competitive with my grades. I'll have a 3.5 overall, 3.3 last 90 credits, and a 3.2 major GPA. Yikes, right? My first year in the program was really difficult because of some medical challenges and circumstantial difficulties. I was always really motivated to learn the information, but getting to class was physically challenging. Well I have good volunteer experience that has really shaped my love for the field such as serving on a team a few times (3 weeks at a time) in the Philippines for the International Deaf Education Association, I'm going on 5 years as a counselor/adaptive arts and crafts leader at a camp for kids with physical disabilities, tutoring in phonetics/conversation partner for non-native speakers, free support tutor for kids with special needs, past fundraiser for Autism Awareness, volunteer time with Full Life for developmentally delayed adults, and a few other things here and there. I have yet to take the GRE, but I'm not too worried about that.

I guess I just get anxious about my GPA, and it doesn't help that I can't really find very much information on Western besides ASHA's EDU find. One minute I'm like, "Yeah, I'll get into grad school. Don't stress!" then the next I'm like, "OMG OMG OMG I've ruined my life, I'll never get in!"

Seems like the common internal dialogue in this major ;)

I did my undergrad at WWU. It would be my first choice for grad school because I LOVE Bellingham and WWU, but I know I wouldn't be able to get in. The school's undergrad programs are considered safety schools (even though it's a great school) but the grad program is surprisingly competitive. I knew people in my CSD cohort that were AMAZING near-4.0 students who didn't get in. There are simply too many people applying. However, it sounds like you have a lot going for you that will make you stand out, so it doesn't hurt to apply I suppose. Good luck either way! Feel free to message me if you have more questions about WWU. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @daisynic.....

not that it's a good thing for either of us, but it's nice to see someone with an undergrad GPA closer to my horrible 2.77.  I think the committees at the schools you are applying to will see your improvement with that 4.0 in recent classes and value your teaching experience.  It's good that you applied to many schools also and to less competitive programs.  Your GRE's are really good too.  I emailed over 100 schools last May and through communication with them narrowed my schools to the 15 I applied to.  I'm sure you will get into a school this year! :)

@twinguy7 Hi! I'm an applicant for the fall 2015 cycle, and I'm so sad I didn't come across this post until I already started submitting applications. My stats also aren't the greatest (2.89 on CSDCAS, 2.66 overall at my undergrad, 2.89 last 60 credits). I took about a two year break from school because I wasn't getting good grades. However, the last three I've been back semesters I've had 3.0, 3.8, 3.86, with a GRE of 164v/154q/4.0a. My personal statement addresses my poor GPA, but I'm afraid that most programs won't even get to reading it because I don't meet their GPA cutoffs. After reading this, I'm considering e-mailing my top two schools (UWI-Milwaukee & UMD-College Park) about how flexible their cutoff is and the likelihood of my explanatory statement being read. How did you manage to e-mail so many schools about their willingness to take chances on lower GPA while sounding interested but not desperate?

I'm applying to 9 schools overall and I just feel way in over my head.  :(

Edited by cosmicmorgan

@twinguy7 Hi! I'm an applicant for the fall 2015 cycle, and I'm so sad I didn't come across this post until I already started submitting applications. My stats also aren't the greatest (2.89 on CSDCAS, 2.66 overall at my undergrad, 2.89 last 60 credits). I took about a two year break from school because I wasn't getting good grades. However, the last three I've been back semesters I've had 3.0, 3.8, 3.86, with a GRE of 164v/154q/4.0a. My personal statement addresses my poor GPA, but I'm afraid that most programs won't even get to reading it because I don't meet their GPA cutoffs. After reading this, I'm considering e-mailing my top two schools (UWI-Milwaukee & UMD-College Park) about how flexible their cutoff is and the likelihood of my explanatory statement being read. How did you manage to e-mail so many schools about their willingness to take chances on lower GPA while sounding interested but not desperate?

I'm applying to 9 schools overall and I just feel way in over my head.  :(

I Messaged you

Thank you for your responses! I have been looking into a few postbac programs, and I'm really liking Sacramento's second bachelor's program (though they still aren't sure if they're doing spring or fall admission :/), and I just read that for University of Oregon, as long as you have a bachelor's degree, they'll accept you for your postbac! I'm trying to avoid online courses, and I don't mind moving.

I just finished the second bachelors program at sac state and loved it, it was very much like grad school where you work in a small cohort and have a small teacher to student ratio, you definitely stand out from the regular undergrad students. Their info is now posted on Sac states website. They are accepting applications for the next fall 2015 cohort, so you can definitely use it as a fall back plan, it would look much better to graduate schools to have a second bachelors from an in class university rather than an online one. Also, you get your SLPA internship which makes you more competitive. The program is only 16 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is the side of this website that I need to remain at. I get tired of the GRE putdowns.Like many of you, my deadlines have passed nor can I afford to re-take the GRE again. I'm already struggling financially as a last year college student.

Anyway, I have one American accredited school overseas in Egypt that does not really expect GRE scores. My program at Syracuse University (New York) takes 50% of their applicants. So, I'm sure my high GPA will provide leverage. Then, my program at University of Denver takes 89% of their applicants. As you can see, I applied nearly all around the globe.

Due to my GRE scores, these are the schools that I am sure will give me a chance based on my GPA, my hard work done on my SOP+resume,and being part of a minority (race and gender-wise) who are rarely found within my field of study. 

Edit: I know that this isn't my field of study...but, it's good to see people with GREs in the 140s who got in somewhere, regardless. This also appears to be one of the few threads like this on the site.

Edited by Guest

Wow, this is the side of this website that I need to remain at. I get tired of the GRE putdowns.Like many of you, my deadlines have passed nor can I afford to re-take the GRE again. I'm already struggling financially as a last year college student.

Anyway, I have one American accredited school overseas in Egypt that does not really expect GRE scores. My program at Syracuse University (New York) takes 50% of their applicants. So, I'm sure my high GPA will provide leverage. Then, my program at University of Denver takes 89% of their applicants. As you can see, I applied nearly all around the globe.

Due to my GRE scores, these are the schools that I am sure will give me a chance based on my GPA, my hard work done on my SOP+resume,and being part of a minority (race and gender-wise) who are rarely found within my field of study. 

Edit: I know that this isn't my field of study...but, it's good to see people with GREs in the 140s who got in somewhere, regardless. This also appears to be one of the few threads like this on the site.

A 4.0 is not bad on the writing section for the GRE for this program. Many schools look for a 4.0 and above. 

I am not sure what your other scores are but 150 in each section is what many schools look for... The fact that you are fluent in Spanish will be a huge asset to you. 

With that being said, I scored 152 in verbal , 141 in the quant, and a 4.0 in the writing section.  I understand your concern. 

Good Luck! 

A 4.0 is not bad on the writing section for the GRE for this program. Many schools look for a 4.0 and above. 

I am not sure what your other scores are but 150 in each section is what many schools look for... The fact that you are fluent in Spanish will be a huge asset to you. 

With that being said, I scored 152 in verbal , 141 in the quant, and a 4.0 in the writing section.  I understand your concern. 

Good Luck! 

Yeah. Most of my universities are calling for 4.0s on the writing section, thankfully. And thanks. Foreign language is definitely important in my program, so I made sure to include that factor in my application and resume. The waiting period is so anxiety-provoking, but at least I am in doing my university studies in order to keep me occupied.

Good luck to you as well. If I get accepted anywhere, I will be sure to report it on this thread. I won't be abandoning this site anytime soon lol.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so relieved to find this forum for SLP students. I've been so anxious and reading the posts have been a great comfort. It's difficult for family to truly understand and I feel as though it's the only thing I talk about these days. I have completed my undergrad this past December 2014 and have applied to 6 schools. I am anxiously awaiting responses. Like many of you, I am constantly logging into the portals/e-mail to check my application status. I ensure I am home during the postal delivery. It's to the point where I'm making sure a letter isn't stuffed inside the grocery store advertisments. I can't even stand to have anyone else collect the mail because I just have to do it. It's so difficult to be in limbo & I'm going stir crazy!!

My GRE scores weren't the best and it's so costly to retake. V148, Q139 and Written3.0

My cummalative GPA is 3.70 and my Major gpa is 3.96.

It just comes down to getting into a program. I searched programs that were within my GRE range and those which didn't require the GRE. I am just hoping for 1 acceptance.

Applied: Emerson, UOP, Missouri, Pennsylvania, East Bay and Sac State

I submitted 2 application videos per 2 of the universities and I hope I stand out enough to get an acceptance letter.

I'm so relieved to find this forum for SLP students. I've been so anxious and reading the posts have been a great comfort. It's difficult for family to truly understand and I feel as though it's the only thing I talk about these days. I have completed my undergrad this past December 2014 and have applied to 6 schools. I am anxiously awaiting responses. Like many of you, I am constantly logging into the portals/e-mail to check my application status. I ensure I am home during the postal delivery. It's to the point where I'm making sure a letter isn't stuffed inside the grocery store advertisments. I can't even stand to have anyone else collect the mail because I just have to do it. It's so difficult to be in limbo & I'm going stir crazy!!

My GRE scores weren't the best and it's so costly to retake. V148, Q139 and Written3.0

My cummalative GPA is 3.70 and my Major gpa is 3.96.

It just comes down to getting into a program. I searched programs that were within my GRE range and those which didn't require the GRE. I am just hoping for 1 acceptance.

Applied: Emerson, UOP, Missouri, Pennsylvania, East Bay and Sac State

I submitted 2 application videos per 2 of the universities and I hope I stand out enough to get an acceptance letter.

Yes, at the bolded. Same here. I don't even care about 'where' anymore, lol!

Good luck to you.

Do schools tend to look first at your gpa before anything else? I graduated in 2009 with a 3.5. Back then that may have been competitive enough to get into slp grad school but it doesn't seem to cut it in 2015. My gre score was a 319 so I am hoping that helps out. I just get discouraged because I see people on the waitlist with a 3.9 and think I don't stand much of a chance.

Do schools tend to look first at your gpa before anything else? I graduated in 2009 with a 3.5. Back then that may have been competitive enough to get into slp grad school but it doesn't seem to cut it in 2015. My gre score was a 319 so I am hoping that helps out. I just get discouraged because I see people on the waitlist with a 3.9 and think I don't stand much of a chance.

Don't get discouraged!  The hardest thing to realize is that there are many schools in competitive states like CA, NY, FL that seem to accept those students with 3.7-4.0 GPA's only.  But there are some who get in with lower GPA's in those states.  The more you go towards the center of the United States, the more likely you fair a better chance at getting into a school with a lower GPA.  Good luck to all of you!  

Question - I don't know how to post an actual forum question.. haha. But did you all hear back from every school that you applied to that all of your materials have been received? I'm not sure if some of my schools just don't send out emails saying everything has been received or if I need to follow up. I know it's a little late, but I'm abroad until first week of March & have been for a couple months now so getting in touch with schools has been a little difficult. Thanks!

I haven't received notification from all of my schools either (1 actually).   Since I applied through CSDCAS, it says on their site that some schools don't contact you until your application has been verified, which was about 2 weeks ago for me, so I'm going to email them today and just make sure.  Some schools don't contact you until they've made a decision, but I would follow up anyway to be sure!

• 4 weeks later...

I am so glad I found this thread! All those people with their millions of acceptances and 4.0 GPAs were super intimidating. I've heard back from 6 now and the stress is just awful. Is anyone else dying?