Women's Dress Tips for Interviews

iphi

Hello ladies (I assume),

I have a pretty good idea of what to wear to interviews, and I have looked over some of the past topics in this forum regarding the subject. However, the one thing that is stumping me is the shoes! Pretty much all of my interviews are taking place in cities with very cold climates, where it is more than likely there will be quite a bit of snow on the ground (Iowa, Boston, Denver...)

I have perfect interview shoes - leather booties - but they will be ruined by snow or wet weather. I have been warned that all these interviews include a campus tour with a substantial amount of walking. So what do I wear? I have riding boots that can stand up to the weather, but I can't wear them with slacks. Any advice?

I live in a ridiculously snowy, cold climate. Last year we had three weeks where the temperature didn’t rise above -22. As such, I’ve become well versed in the art of dressing professionally when it is really, really uncomfortable to do so. My tips:

• Invest in a pair of “skinny” cut slacks that can easily go into boots. They look modern and professional and can easily be paired with flats and heels, as well.
  • If you want to wear your heels or booties, keep a pair of cute socks and ballet flats in your purse and put them on when you have to walk across campus. Your pants will cover up the socks and you can change them as soon as you get back indoors.

My best advice, however:

• Pretty coat, cute/professional top of some kind, a skirt, fleece-tights, and booties/boots. 

These looks are super in-style right now, look professional, and will keep you really warm. I wear fleece-lined tights almost every day and they are just as warm (if not warmer) than slacks.

I hope this helps! 

Kind of irrelevant to your question, but I'm interested in the outfit you plan on wearing. It seems that most past interview threads are geared towards guys, so I'd like your input on what's appropriate. Thanks!

This wasn’t directed at me, but I’ll answer it because I want other people’s answers, as well. Haha. 

I have a two-day interview/meet-and-greet at a potential university, so here is what I’m planning on wearing:

If you're going to be walking, I would suggest what Kamisha already suggested. You can also get tights that are actually made of the same material as dress pants, but with a lot of elastine/spandex in them, which are usually made for riding (breeches) or motorcycling. I own a couple of these in all-black, and they're good for winter wear while also looking very professional and dress-pantsy.

Kind of irrelevant to your question, but I'm interested in the outfit you plan on wearing. It seems that most past interview threads are geared towards guys, so I'd like your input on what's appropriate. Thanks!

There are a lot of past threads that deal with this! I'm probably going to wear dress pants and a cashmere cardigan over a button-down shirt. None of my interviews are more than one day, so luckily I don't have to plan too much variety!

Invest in a good pair of boots, such as:

http://www.ariat.com/Western/Women/Footwear/WesternFashion/Dakota.html?color=BLACK_GATOR_PRINT

I can wear those with jeans, skirts, dresses, and suits. They're appropriate for everything from work, to church, to dropping the kids of at school, to formal presentations to University administration. About the only thing I cannot wear them with is shorts. I've had a pair for two years now, and will need to have them re-soled to the tune of $70 or so, which beats buying a new pair of shoes any day. 

This wasn’t directed at me, but I’ll answer it because I want other people’s answers, as well. Haha. 

I have a two-day interview/meet-and-greet at a potential university, so here is what I’m planning on wearing:

That modcloth dress is SO. CUTE.

As if we didn't have enough to stress over with interviews!  Men have it so easy... 

My friend who interviewed for a clinical psych program last year said all the applicants (including her) wore suits.  I'm not going all out with a suit but am planning to wear dress pants, a nice shirt, and a casual blazer.  Oh, and heels, but low ones that I can easily walk in (Comfort Plus at Payless for ladies looking for seriously comfortable heels).  I've been told that it's best for women to dress conservatively and to err on the side of being slightly overdressed.

As if we didn't have enough to stress over with interviews!  Men have it so easy... 

My friend who interviewed for a clinical psych program last year said all the applicants (including her) wore suits.  I'm not going all out with a suit but am planning to wear dress pants, a nice shirt, and a casual blazer.  Oh, and heels, but low ones that I can easily walk in (Comfort Plus at Payless for ladies looking for seriously comfortable heels).  I've been told that it's best for women to dress conservatively and to err on the side of being slightly overdressed.

I think this also depends on the program/discipline for which you're interviewing. I have heard that students wear suits for clinical interviews, but my SO is in Social Psych, and when students there show up to the interview in suits everyone thinks they're overdressed! And as pretty as the dress Kamisha posted is, I would never dream of wearing something like that for school psychology programs. But it looks like she's in film/media studies, so that's probably a good fit for her discipline. So there is more variation than we think! :)

Thought I'd give my input for science programs and what I've seen so far. 

I had my first interview last weekend, and not a single girl wore a skirt (myself included). As hard as it is to be a girl in science anyway, you want to look as professional as possible. Put simply, that means dressing like the guys. It's disappointing, but sexism still exists in higher education. It's not quite as bad in biology where the distribution is about 1:1 between men and women, but it depends on the area of study. If it has "computer" in the name, copy the guys. If you're looking at ecology, cell biology, health sciences, etc. you're probably fine to be your feminine self. It may sound cynical, but you really have to dress for the people you're going to be around or they may immediately discount you, all based on a first visual impression. Worse though is when you get into a program based on your qualifications and some of your colleagues decide it was only because of your looks. There's some unspoken rule in STEM that a girl is not allowed to be smart and hot (such BS). As much as I hate it, this is the society we live in. It probably goes against Feminist rhetoric, but pick your battles with dress, ladies. Get into the program and then show them how beautiful you really are. Then, maybe someday things will be different.   

On the bright side, this should make it easier to pick clothes. Slacks, a nice shirt, and maybe a blazer or jacket should be just fine in most situations. Nothing too tight or too revealing is a good rule of thumb, and try not to be flashy (that awesome sequin blazer is probably a no). As for shoes, just wear something you can walk around in. 

You should definitely be prepared to walk -- all of my visits included campus tours, and even excluding the tour, many of them involved visits to multiple buildings for interviews, etc. You can always bring indoor shoes along and ask your student host (if you have one) and/or check out the specific schedule to see if you will need to be outside.  If changing your shoes is not too big a deal (i.e., you can do it quickly), that may also be an option -- most places will give recruits a place to put your coats and bags when you are staying inside, so you could leave your outdoor shoes there.  Frankly, though, I wouldn't count on that as an option, so if you try it, be sure the outdoor shoes are some that you won't feel bad wearing around all day. 

Not for nothing, but I'm in a male-dominated hard science and I wore a pencil skirt and make-up for every interview.  Because, damn it, it was a day I wasn't working in a lab.  I also brought a pair of skinny jeans, blouse, cardigan, and flats for lab visits.  But if I'm just going to be talking to people about science they can deal with the fact that my legs aren't individually wrapped.  It didn't cause me any problems, although it was apperently memorable enough that students at the school I chose brought it up 4 months later when I came in the summer to start my research.

Honestly, if you're at a science graduate interview and you didn't cut your own hair and your socks match you're at least in the middle of the pack already.  Read your POIs papers and wear what you feel comfortable in & it will all work out.  

I had my first interview last weekend, and not a single girl wore a skirt (myself included). As hard as it is to be a girl in science anyway, you want to look as professional as possible. Put simply, that means dressing like the guys. It's disappointing, but sexism still exists in higher education. It's not quite as bad in biology where the distribution is about 1:1 between men and women, but it depends on the area of study. If it has "computer" in the name, copy the guys. If you're looking at ecology, cell biology, health sciences, etc. you're probably fine to be your feminine self. It may sound cynical, but you really have to dress for the people you're going to be around or they may immediately discount you, all based on a first visual impression.

You better believe I'll be wearing a skirt! I'm in a very male dominated field and don't mind being feminine anyway. I dress well every day and always wear skirts/make up to interviews. It's never hindered me before!

I am sincerely glad that your experience has been better than mine. I like to think that things are better on the coasts than they are in the Midwest, but I wouldn't really know. In the past, I've been treated as less knowledgeable by colleagues when I've appeared more feminine. Proving them wrong can be fun, but it is also exhausting. I should append to my previous post, however, that one should be comfortable and confident during an interview above all else. If you feel best in a skirt, the confidence you exude should replace any preconceived notions.  

As for makeup, it's almost expected that women wear it, regardless of how they're dressed. I think it probably falls into the category of looking well groomed for most people. I didn't mention anything about it before, but I think it's a good idea for men and women if it makes them more confident. If not, as long as you're not visibly dirty, it really shouldn't matter (even though it seems to). 

Edited by Nautiloid

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on the following:

- long hair:  wear it up or down?

- glasses or contacts?

I'm in nutrition and nutrition/public health, if that makes a difference (so female-dominated fields).

I've always had better luck in interviews when I wear my glasses! If they perceive you as smarter then they are more likely to want you!

I have long hair and like wearing it down but I like clipping back enough that it isn't in my way or falling over my face.

Do you dress more casually for recruitment days after acceptance? I'm in the arts, so it's not going to be super formal anyway, but I'm wondering if they always expect you to make some kind of effort? Or heck - if you're accepted already, then wear anything?! (Non-revealing, non-offensive of course)

Edited by seeingeyeduck

Do you dress more casually for recruitment days after acceptance? I'm in the arts, so it's not going to be super formal anyway, but I'm wondering if they always expect you to make some kind of effort? Or heck - if you're accepted already, then wear anything?! (Non-revealing, non-offensive of course)

If it were me then I would go with business casual, no jeans, tennis shoes etc. My go to for situations like this are comfty, casual skirts with a plain top and flats or booties. You can bring a nicer scarf that can dress it up if need be. Those sorts of outfits can fit in with informal or slightly business like situations so you never feel out of place.

Wow. I'm more confused than when I started. Any tips?

I'm interviewing for school psych. I have a black suit and a cute green blouse to go with it. OR I have gray slacks that I could pair with a cardigan. OR I have a black pencil skirt but I'll be in the cold cold cold so I'm nervous about being...cold. I have those payless heels, or I could go get some flats because I'm in need of them anyway. What do you guys think?

Gahh.

For cold weather, I've found that you can't go wrong with cashmere- I wear nice ponte-knit slacks (ponte is the best!) with a button-down and a cashmere sweater on top, and 100% cashmere socks, which are about $40 online and totally worth it. I've been on four interviews now with a lot of walking, and my feet were toasty and comfy in low heels, which look great with slacks.

Hey guys, I'm attending a two-day open house for accepted/prospective students, so it's not an interview. The first day consist of a cocktail part at a professor's house. How does one dress to that?? I'm so confused and the date is rapidly approaching. I want to be super comfortable and at ease, but also look put-together and elegant in some way.. :/ 

hey guys! I was reading through this topic looking for dress ideas before my interview that I had a few weeks ago. Now that my interview is over (group interview), I just wanted to share how everyone dressed so that maybe it can be of some help! :) So at first I was under the impression I would wear business casual, more like some nice women slacks and a button down chiffon shirt. However, in the end, I decided to go all out and wear a full women's business casual suit (slacks and matching blazer) with a pink button up shirt underneath. I also put my hair half up and half down, and wore simple black booties. All the other interviewees who were part of the group interview also wore the same exact thing, business suit! So I would say, safe to always go more business than casual in any situation :)

I have a couple interviews coming up for my school counseling programs. I am way into clothes, and tend to over-think how to dress for lots of occasions. I own suits, but I'm not at my most "me" in a suit, and want to interview at my very best, outfit be damned.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=949935002

This black wrap dress is sort of my "lucky dress" (also referred to by one friend as my "sexy funeral dress") and has gotten me through my best interviews. Would this, with black tights, appropriate footwear, and tasteful jewelry be an acceptable option for school counseling interviews? Or should I stay traditional?

I have a couple interviews coming up for my school counseling programs. I am way into clothes, and tend to over-think how to dress for lots of occasions. I own suits, but I'm not at my most "me" in a suit, and want to interview at my very best, outfit be damned.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=949935002

This black wrap dress is sort of my "lucky dress" (also referred to by one friend as my "sexy funeral dress") and has gotten me through my best interviews. Would this, with black tights, appropriate footwear, and tasteful jewelry be an acceptable option for school counseling interviews? Or should I stay traditional?

I think that something along these lines is ideal but I think that particular dress looks a tiny bit too short to me, unless you are on the shorter side and it hits your knees. That dress looks almost long enough to me but I dont think I would play around with an 'almost' appropriate outfit at an interview this important. My opinion is that if you can find something like that but a tad longer, then it would be perfect!