2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Checked my portal for UT-Austin and saw that I was rejected :( So sad since that means my family will definitely have to relocate (considering I get in elsewhere).

Feeling a bit bummed right now, but I know the Lord will help me find joy in the journey and that there is a plan in place :)

I'm so sorry to hear this! But you're right, there is a plan for you! I hope something works out for you and your family

Checked my portal for UT-Austin and saw that I was rejected :(  So sad since that means my family will definitely have to relocate (considering I get in elsewhere).

Feeling a bit bummed right now, but I know the Lord will help me find joy in the journey and that there is a plan in place  :)

Sorry to hear SweetPea21.. I am possibly going to be relocating family as well. We just keep thinking.. if it's what's meant to be, it will be worth it... even if it's difficult! Good luck with your other applications!

Checked my portal for UT-Austin and saw that I was rejected :(  So sad since that means my family will definitely have to relocate (considering I get in elsewhere).

Feeling a bit bummed right now, but I know the Lord will help me find joy in the journey and that there is a plan in place  :)

No bueno chicka!!

I got into both of my top 2 schools - with a fairly generous scholarship to Marquette.  I'm waiting to hear about funding from Rush (my first choice), but it is such a relief to know that I will definitely be starting graduate school in the fall.

I didn't get in anywhere last year and I applied to far less competitive schools, so just in case anyone is losing hope - chin up!  I'm certain that completing all my pre-req / undergraduate work at USU is what pushed me over the edge, so there is always another way to get where you want to be.

Hi y'all,

I wrote this within a separate post, but I feel like this will get more traffic;

So, I know there are some applicants who applied to NY SLP programs, and I hope to hear from NYMC applicants who've had interviews already.

My interview is via Skype on the 14th and I was told that I would have to read an article and write a response to which I email. Then, I am to have a one on one interview with a professor that is scenario based. I would like to know if anyone has gone through this type of interview at NYMC, and what sorts of things I could expect to be asked during my interview?

Hey futureslpC3Pfan (that's quite a mouthful, lol!) just wanted to reassure you, we're not ignoring you, we do care about what you're saying. If you didn't get an answer to your question, my guess is that no one knows the answer. In order to be able to answer this question, we'd have to have gone through this type of interview at NYMC, which is probably a very small group of people. Just wanted to reassure you that we weren't ignoring you.

Actually, if you guys in general have noticed me not replying to as many threads, it's because they all seem to be getting really specific. Like I'm not applying to CA, I've never heard of Molloy, have no clue about Boston programs...you get the idea. Anyways, that's all I'm saying - that if you're not getting many or any replies it may just be a really specific question that we don't know the answer to.

I went hunting through this whole forum and I couldn't find any advice at all for the type of interview you described. So I'm guessing it's pretty rare. I don't know if it will help, because it doesn't sound scenario based, but SweetPea21 gave some great general interview advice a while back and that's the best I could come up with - hope it helps!

I had an interview a few weeks ago and the best/most helpful advice I received was to come up with 4-5 strong, well-rehearsed stories that I could tweak to answer various questions.

Most schools want to know why you are considering their school or why you would be a good fit to their program. Make sure you have a story/answer to share for questions along those lines.

Also, it is good to have an "elevator story" or "get to know you story". A story that walks them through how you got to where you are now, but in a concise 1-2 minute answer. I was able to use my "elevator story" to answer the question "What made you interested in the field of Speech Pathology".

Another example...I had a story about a time I received feedback at work. This was a story I could tweak and use to answer questions regarding how I handle feedback, how I handle stress, how I handle hard projects/situations, how I work with groups, etc.  

I also had a few stories I rehearsed from my experiences working as a volunteer in a special education classroom. I used these stories to answer questions like, "Tell about a time when you worked with a difficult child" or "What sets you apart from the other applicants" or "What are your areas of interest", or content related/field based questions.

Hope this makes sense :)

The second best piece of advice I received was to be myself. I had a lot of feedback to present myself this way, that way, or the other, but when it came down it, I was most comfortable and confident when I was genuine and showing my true personality. The interviewers do this year after year so they can detect a genuine person from a façade so might as well just be yourself.

Good luck!

Hope this was helpful!!!! Feel free to keep asking questions, because we do care and are a supportive community, just know that we may not reply if we don't know the answer.

So sorry to hear that, SweetPea21. Here's hoping your relocation turns into a wonderful adventure for everyone involved! (I'm a glass half full person.) And hoping for great news from your other schools who appreciate what you have to offer!!!!

I was also rejected from UT-Austin this morning. Even though I was kind of expecting it, it still isn't fun. I probably wouldn't have gone there anyways, so I'm trying not to get too down about it. I'm also expecting to get a rejection from UNC-Chapel Hill (acceptances and waitlistings have already gone out). Clearly, the universe wants me to stay in the Midwest, lol.

Does anyone have an idea of when we'll start hearing from Towson and Loyola?

Applied: Towson, Loyola, UMD, University of South Carolina, University of South Florida, Old Dominion

Accepted:

Wait Listed: ODU

Rejected:

Applied: Towson, Loyola, UMD, University of South Carolina, University of South Florida, Old Dominion

Accepted:

Rejected:

Not sure about Loyola, but Towson usually issues their decisions before spring break, which this year, is 3/16-3/23.  

@Twinguy7- Thanks! I'm feeling much better today. New day, new start. Back on the rollercoaster ;)

@Fairydust- Thanks for the words of encouragement. I too believe things will workout for the best! Good luck with Cincinnati!

@Karita- I have my fingers crossed for you!

@ImpulsiveNixie- Gracious! Todo esta' bien!

@Autismadvocate- You hit it right on the head... it is going to be a wonderful adventure and my family is actually looking forward to it :) Also, even though I was putting on a brave front, my daughter (who's 9) could tell I was disappointed by the rejection and did the cutest thing. She wrote me a note last night and put it on my pillow. In it she stated exactly what you stated, she said that the rejection was probably a good thing anyway because it would be better to go to a school that likes what I have to offer and wants me to come. It was the sweetest thing ever! I agree with you both  :)

SLPamy- Sorry to hear about UT-Austin. I think it always stings a bit to be rejected even if it was somewhat expected. You definitely have the qualifications, it's just the lottery odds of UT-Austin. They accept a lot of their own undergrad and had nearly 400 applicants competing for 20 spots. Congrates though on your amazing acceptances! So great!

Edited by SweetPea21

Accepted:

Rejected:

@Kearly I rec'd an email from Loyola on 02/26 - "We appreciate your patience during this process and anticipate notifying all applicants of their admission status by the end of March. As a courtesy, when a decision letter is mailed out to you, I will notify you via email so that you can, in turn, notify me if you do not receive it in a timely manner."  (It also had some info about financial info sessions, etc).  Hope this helps!  I'm looking forward to hearing from them, too :) 

I got into both of my top 2 schools - with a fairly generous scholarship to Marquette.  I'm waiting to hear about funding from Rush (my first choice), but it is such a relief to know that I will definitely be starting graduate school in the fall.

I didn't get in anywhere last year and I applied to far less competitive schools, so just in case anyone is losing hope - chin up!  I'm certain that completing all my pre-req / undergraduate work at USU is what pushed me over the edge, so there is always another way to get where you want to be.

Congrats!  That's wonderful!  If you end up deciding to go to Rush, message me.  I live about a five minute walk away from there and can give you the scoop. :)

I was also rejected from UT-Austin this morning. Even though I was kind of expecting it, it still isn't fun. I probably wouldn't have gone there anyways, so I'm trying not to get too down about it. I'm also expecting to get a rejection from UNC-Chapel Hill (acceptances and waitlistings have already gone out). Clearly, the universe wants me to stay in the Midwest, lol.

Well, clearly...

SKU-FORMAT-12870-midwest-is-best.jpg

Edited by sayjo

SLPamy- Sorry to hear about UT-Austin. I think it always stings a bit to be rejected even if it was somewhat expected. You definitely have the qualifications, it's just the lottery odds of UT-Austin. They accept a lot of their own undergrad and had nearly 400 applicants competing for 20 spots. Congrates though on your amazing acceptances! So great!

Thank you so much! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better too <3 It really helps to see so many other amazing applicants in the same situation. Every school is looking for something else, and we just cannot take rejections personally (even though it totally feels that way at first). I firmly believe that we will all end up in the schools that will provide us the best possible experience. I can't wait to see where you will end up! 

Well, clearly...

SKU-FORMAT-12870-midwest-is-best.jpg

But it's so dang COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha

@Autismadvocate- You hit it right on the head... it is going to be a wonderful adventure and my family is actually looking forward to it :) Also, even though I was putting on a brave front, my daughter (who's 9) could tell I was disappointed by the rejection and did the cutest thing. She wrote me a note last night and put it on my pillow. In it she stated exactly what you stated, she said that the rejection was probably a good thing anyway because it would be better to go to a school that likes what I have to offer and wants me to come. It was the sweetest thing ever! I agree with you both  :)

Ummmmm adorable!! How flippin' precious is that?!?

Interviewed at Elmhurst College last week (2/28). Kinda bummed to see they are holding another interview day. Anyone get an interview? Or for those who interviewed last week have you heard back? They said they would be in touch this week and I have heard nothing. This waiting game will be the death of me! :wacko:

Accepted:

Rejected:

I have been in contact with Towson a lot and in the end of February they said acceptance letters will be sent out in mid-March

Interviewed at Elmhurst College last week (2/28). Kinda bummed to see they are holding another interview day. Anyone get an interview? Or for those who interviewed last week have you heard back? They said they would be in touch this week and I have heard nothing. This waiting game will be the death of me! :wacko:

I'm kind of wondering if they decided to interview more students who didn't do their undergrad or post-bacc at Elmhurst, just to diversify. It's just a theory though, I really have no clue! They told us they would likely send decisions out on Friday, so if they're doing it via mail, they might not arrive until next week. But that might be delayed since they're doing new interviews. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!

I'm kind of wondering if they decided to interview more students who didn't do their undergrad or post-bacc at Elmhurst, just to diversify. It's just a theory though, I really have no clue! They told us they would likely send decisions out on Friday, so if they're doing it via mail, they might not arrive until next week. But that might be delayed since they're doing new interviews. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!

Thanks for the reply! I didn't hear the part about Friday. Fingers crossed for the both of us! I wouldn't be nervous if they were accepting more students, but 16-18 is so small.