Modes of Application Notification?

helpmegradcafe

Hey Grad friends,

So I was wondering what the deal is with checking you application to see if it has magically changed to "accepted."  So far, I have had one acceptance - where they emailed me directly to tell me I was in, and two rejections - both of whom sent me the dreaded "a decision has been made on your admission so check your application" email.  I have been refraining from checking the status of my application because, firstly, I don't want to drive myself (more) insane and, secondly, because I guess I somehow got it in my head that they will email me directly if I'm accepted.  

Does anyone have any insight?  Should I actually just be constantly checking my application status??

Hey Grad friends,

So I was wondering what the deal is with checking you application to see if it has magically changed to "accepted."  So far, I have had one acceptance - where they emailed me directly to tell me I was in, and two rejections - both of whom sent me the dreaded "a decision has been made on your admission so check your application" email.  I have been refraining from checking the status of my application because, firstly, I don't want to drive myself (more) insane and, secondly, because I guess I somehow got it in my head that they will email me directly if I'm accepted.  

Does anyone have any insight?  Should I actually just be constantly checking my application status??

Don't drive yourself insane, just wait until you get emails. :)

Hey Grad friends,

I agree with m-ttl. I should add though that there have been cases where applicants found out through the school website before even receiving their official email. These cases are rare nonetheless.

I, for one, chose not to check them this year, which is probably healthier. :blink:

I have heard of a couple of instances where the school will actually post a decision (usually a rejection) online without actually emailing. I don't believe that is common though, and probably never happens for acceptances. So I would say, unless its April and you've hear nothing, it probably isn't worth it to check the online status. 

So far, my status in the online portal didn't change from "under review" to "decision made" until a week after I'd received an email of acceptance. So, I think you're correct OP--if you're accepted they will find a way to let you know. 

I'm wondering about something similar...some of my applications say "under review" but most still just say "completed" or "submitted". Do most schools bother to change it to "under review"? Any thoughts?

I've got the same thing going on.  My theory is that they aren't bothering to update this stuff.  Remember: Art Historians.  My application status for the school I've been accepted to still says something along the lines of "under review." They do what they want. 

I've got the same thing going on.  My theory is that they aren't bothering to update this stuff.  Remember: Art Historians.  My application status for the school I've been accepted to still says something along the lines of "under review." They do what they want.

The one school I've heard back from and been accepted to also still says "under review" but I'm still slightly concerned about the other ones. I've checked though and it looks like everything is submitted for the apps although one of my recommenders was weeks late for nearly every deadline.

I have heard of a couple of instances where the school will actually post a decision (usually a rejection) online without actually emailing. I don't believe that is common though, and probably never happens for acceptances. So I would say, unless its April and you've hear nothing, it probably isn't worth it to check the online status. 

I did not receive an email and randomly checked my status one night to find that I had been accepted into a Masters program. I didn't have any communication with a POI from the school or anyone else. Anticlimactic for sure, but hey still good news!

I did not receive an email and randomly checked my status one night to find that I had been accepted into a Masters program. I didn't have any communication with a POI from the school or anyone else. Anticlimactic for sure, but hey still good news!

Oh wow now I'm worried

Just to throw in my two cents, I had been obsessively checking my application status on my top choice's website for weeks. Finally it changed to 'a decision has been made'.... but there was no decision listed. After not hearing anything from them for about a week and a half, I assumed it was a no-go. However, a few days ago they emailed me a letter of acceptance. I guess the moral of the story is, you never really know what's going to happen!

Just to throw in my two cents, I had been obsessively checking my application status on my top choice's website for weeks. Finally it changed to 'a decision has been made'.... but there was no decision listed. After not hearing anything from them for about a week and a half, I assumed it was a no-go. However, a few days ago they emailed me a letter of acceptance. I guess the moral of the story is, you never really know what's going to happen!

Hey! Congratulations and thanks for sharing this!!