Advice on what to do after Acceptance?

helpmegradcafe

Ok so, unfortunately, the whole horrible application process might be over but the real work is just beginning.  And I don't know about anyone else, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

So what do you do once you are accepted to a school? I have heard people post about emailing their POIs but what exactly is it you say in such an email? And what if you aren't positive exactly who would be your adviser? And how do you approach the whole funding thing or try to get more funding?

So many questions...

What do you do after you've been accepted?

Drink, take a nap, and don't check your email for a week!

They'll tell you everything you need to do. Maybe pop an email back thanking the department for your acceptance, and ask them what the funding situation is (if they haven't already told you). Also let them know if you accept or need more time to decide.

All in all, just relax! You'll know what to do when the time comes. It'll be pretty straight-forward. 

Edited by Mary Queen of Scotch

Since you're not obligated to respond right away, simply state that you are very grateful for the positive response, but that you would like to hear back from other places, etc. It's still relatively early in the process, and just about all departments will find it more than reasonable.

Edit: And you can always initiate conversations with faculty members around that time, too. 

Edited by Swagato

Never thought I would ask that in a million years... but is there a proper way of declining an offer? How would you do it?

And, in case you already know you will be rejecting an offer, would still contact your POI to thank him/her for the acceptance, and inform of your decision of not pursuing their program?

Never thought I would ask that in a million years... but is there a proper way of declining an offer? How would you do it?

And, in case you already know you will be rejecting an offer, would still contact your POI to thank him/her for the acceptance, and inform of your decision of not pursuing their program?

I would hold off on declining offers until you've *formally* accepted an offer elsewhere. Then yes... totally a good idea to contact your POIs elsewhere.... you can say something to the effect of: "I'm writing to let you know that I've accepted an offer for admission at X school.  It was a really tough decision because your program is great is XYZ ways. I look forward to keeping up with your scholarship (note specifics if you know s/he has a book or article forthcoming) and I hope our paths cross in the future..."

it's a small art history world... even smaller when you're talking people in your subfield... so definitely good to keep all doors open.

I would hold off on declining offers until you've *formally* accepted an offer elsewhere. 

I actually disagree. If you've received multiple acceptances and you KNOW for certain that you won't be accepting the offer at one of them, decline as soon as possible. It's courteous to the department, and it makes room for other students who are still waiting on admissions decisions. 

I actually disagree. If you've received multiple acceptances and you KNOW for certain that you won't be accepting the offer at one of them, decline as soon as possible. It's courteous to the department, and it makes room for other students who are still waiting on admissions decisions. 

Agreed. The department usually has other students lined up that they might want to send an offer to, but can't--because a spot is being left open for you until you accept/decline. Declining an offer early if you definitely know that you aren't taking it frees them up to move on and send out another offer, which they will appreciate. 

That's what I was thinking. I'd hate to hold on to a spot that someone would love to have.

I would hope most people would do the same since it could be one of us on the wait list after all. We all know how much it sucks to wait, right? ; )

I must confess, however, that I feel sort of strange about the whole declining offers thing, since, in all honesty, I'd probably give an arm and a leg to get into many of these programs. Yet now that I got in, I will be turning them down. But as one of our gradcafe friends has wisely put it, I should go where the money is--and that's what I will need to do after all. The good news, though, is that I only applied to programs which I would absolutely LOVE to be a part of.

Edited by brazilianbuddy