Rejection thread

ianfaircloud

I can say that all of their waitlists and acceptances have been given out.

Thanks for the information. I was aware of that - I was wondering whether someone on the waitlist had been rejected. 

Does anybody know if the University of Michigan rejections are out yet? They said they would let me know by March 15th, but so far I haven't heard anything.

Michigan has sent out the second-round acceptances and the wait lists. Sadly, if one has not heard anything from it so far, it means a rejection. This pattern has been confirmed by numerous cases. I hold out delusional hope with many schools, but discovered later that I was rejected. Best of luck. (Many people are interested in if you get in CUNY, by the way. Hope you did.) 

Michigan has sent out the second-round acceptances and the wait lists. Sadly, if one has not heard anything from it so far, it means a rejection. This pattern has been confirmed by numerous cases. I hold out delusional hope with many schools, but discovered later that I was rejected. Best of luck. (Many people are interested in if you get in CUNY, by the way. Hope you did.) 

Thanks for the update, and thanks for the well-wishes with CUNY. I'll be sure to post when I hear something.

What is going on with these UMich rejections? I can't find the info via the website.

Whoever said that it's the "least accessible rejection" is definitely right. You should assume you're rejected, but if you really need to see it:

1. Log into the application.

2. Click application status on the top right

3. Click 'Respond to Offer' (it says that regardless)

4. Log into Wolverine Access (I set it up a few weeks ago to compulsively check my application status but this requires a few more steps)

5. In Wolverine Access, go to 'Students', then 'New & Prospective Student Business'

6. Click 'Application Status' and finally, 'View Decision'

Considering how involved this process was, I would be surprised if they didn't send rejection emails pretty soon. 

Whoever said that it's the "least accessible rejection" is definitely right. You should assume you're rejected, but if you really need to see it:

1. Log into the application.

2. Click application status on the top right

3. Click 'Respond to Offer' (it says that regardless)

4. Log into Wolverine Access (I set it up a few weeks ago to compulsively check my application status but this requires a few more steps)

5. In Wolverine Access, go to 'Students', then 'New & Prospective Student Business'

6. Click 'Application Status' and finally, 'View Decision'

Considering how involved this process was, I would be surprised if they didn't send rejection emails pretty soon. 

That process was pretty demeaning.

Solicited a generic email rejection from UC Davis (Cody Gilmore):

"I'm sorry to have to report that it is very unlikely that you will be offered admission this year. We were impressed by your application, but we received over 70 applications for only 5 spots, and the result was that there were many highly qualified applicants who we are unable to admit.

Officially, we have not yet rejected the bulk of our applicants. We have been in touch with a small group of candidates to let them know that they have been accepted, and with another small group to let them know that they are on our waitlist. For the rest, there is  almost no chance that they will be accepted, and I will eventually be in touch with our official decision.
"

I suspect the same goes for anyone else who has applied there but not heard back. Honestly it's kindof a kick in the gut to hear that they only had 70 applications, probably waitlisted or accepted 10-12 of them, and I wasn't one of them even though I fit their strengths. Meanwhile, I've been accepted or waitlisted to 6 unquestionably better (and much more competitive) programs. This really is the crappiest of crapshoots in some cases, and I've learned no backup school is safe.

Edited by TheVineyard

By the way, did anyone else who received a USC rejection find the sentence "We understand this must be very disappointing news" amusing? I couldn't help but think that this was a little arrogant. Actually, it's not "very disappointing news." USC was not among my top choices.  

I see that many people are posting Michigan rejections. I went to check the status on my application on their website, but there was nothing. I'm not sure what to make of that. Presumably rejections were uploaded yesterday sometime, but there's nothing to indicate a decision was made on my application. Anybody have any idea what that could mean?

I see that many people are posting Michigan rejections. I went to check the status on my application on their website, but there was nothing. I'm not sure what to make of that. Presumably rejections were uploaded yesterday sometime, but there's nothing to indicate a decision was made on my application. Anybody have any idea what that could mean?

They haven't gotten around to uploading your rejection yet, perhaps.