MIT Mistakenly Tells Some Applicants They’ve Been Admitted

med latte

It sounds like it might not have been that devastating. It was in small, italic, grey letters below the copyright information, according to commenters.

But it's a less scandalous story when you acknowledge that! ;p

(Don't get me wrong, I'm sure anyone who did notice it had a baaaad time.)

This happened earlier this year, for people who applied to MIT's Dept of Materials Sci & Engineering program. Look at the results page from last month. The article doesn't specify the program, but the article could be talking about that incident.

why the thumbs down?

i've heard 'quiet settlements' (ie admissions the next year with aid) for many other similar blunders - not to mention other back room deals....if you think people aren't slipped onto the admitted list unbeknownst to the adcom, you're seriously mistaken

while mit would laugh off the initial law suit, a lawyer with enough pr pull and physician statements about the trauma experienced at the hands of  ---- yes, an email would make easy work of this 

this is easy work for a savvy pain in the a** lawyer who is tapped into the inner workings of mit ....... easy work

Edited by mdiv2014

It sounds like it might not have been that devastating. It was in small, italic, grey letters below the copyright information, according to commenters.

But it's a less scandalous story when you acknowledge that! ;p

(Don't get me wrong, I'm sure anyone who did notice it had a baaaad time.)

I think those who applied to the program and later received an email from the school -- any email, about anything -- probably assumed they were admitted. Either way, I hope all involved have good news from other schools by now.