Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Anybody know if anything is going on with the University of Virginia waitlists yet/how many were waitlisted? Anybody plan on/has already taken themselves off the waitlist?

A few people here have taken themselves off the waitlist/acceptances, but UVA hasn't done anything else yet. The lst contact I had said not to expect anything till closer to April 15th.

Why are you on the waitlist?

A few people here have taken themselves off the waitlist/acceptances, but UVA hasn't done anything else yet. The lst contact I had said not to expect anything till closer to April 15th.

Why are you on the waitlist?

Yes I am on the waitlist. I am just trying to get an idea of how big the waitlist is, whether they rank students on it, etc.

Yes I am on the waitlist. I am just trying to get an idea of how big the waitlist is, whether they rank students on it, etc.

Yeah nobody knows you're just gonna have to wait with the rest of us. My guess is it's a fairly large waitlist.

I'm on the UVA waitlist too.  My placement advisor contacted Paul Humphrey to ask about the waitlist, and he said there probably wouldn't be much movement on it up to April 15th.

Yeah nobody knows you're just gonna have to wait with the rest of us. My guess is it's a fairly large waitlist.

So basically I'm assuming it depends on how many people out of their initial acceptance pool actually accept an offer. From what I saw previously on the results page of the grad cafe website, only about four or five people reported getting waitlist notifications from University of Virginia, but I am sure quite a few more received a waitlist notification, and just didn't report it because either they don't care to or don't go on the grad cafe website. I'm guessing they can only go to the waitlist after ALL their initial acceptance offers have gotten back with either an acceptance of the admission or a decline. And some people wait until the last second, like April 14th or 15th, so my guess would be only then would they go back to the waitlist and start deliberating on who to accept. To me at least, it makes no sense to start deliberating now about the waitlist when they still don't know how many people will accept or decline their initial offers. So if I had to guess, we're unfortunately in for quite a wait. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear something before the third week in April. But I did see from last year's admissions cycle that Virginia sent out a notice to its waitlist pool around April 12/13 stating that 2 people had yet to get back about their offers, and to "stay tuned." So hopefully they will send out another similar such notice this time around giving us a better idea of where we stand.

I just declined a funded offer from Purdue University. Hope this helps someone.

Thank you! It may help me. Where are you thinking of accepting, assuming you are still planning on attending somewhere?

I stated in my SOP that my interests are epistemology, philosophy of mind, and philosophy of religion. 

Sounds similar to someone I know... -_-

So basically I'm assuming it depends on how many people out of their initial acceptance pool actually accept an offer. From what I saw previously on the results page of the grad cafe website, only about four or five people reported getting waitlist notifications from University of Virginia, but I am sure quite a few more received a waitlist notification, and just didn't report it because either they don't care to or don't go on the grad cafe website. I'm guessing they can only go to the waitlist after ALL their initial acceptance offers have gotten back with either an acceptance of the admission or a decline. And some people wait until the last second, like April 14th or 15th, so my guess would be only then would they go back to the waitlist and start deliberating on who to accept. To me at least, it makes no sense to start deliberating now about the waitlist when they still don't know how many people will accept or decline their initial offers. So if I had to guess, we're unfortunately in for quite a wait. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear something before the third week in April. But I did see from last year's admissions cycle that Virginia sent out a notice to its waitlist pool around April 12/13 stating that 2 people had yet to get back about their offers, and to "stay tuned." So hopefully they will send out another similar such notice this time around giving us a better idea of where we stand.

You were absolutely right.

My theory is that people who received non-negative news are less willing to report. There're, if I'm not wrong, four or five UVA acceptances this year but there seems to be over 20 offers sent out. 

Also, I gleaned a fair bit about the UVA procedures and numbers while there, and I see a lot of chatter about it, so let me help a bit:

They make 5 or 6 offers, and then wait-list a little over a dozen more or so. If one takes the top admit as #1 and the last on the waitlist as #20, then in an average year one would see offers going to as low as #15 or #16, with a 'good' year reaching #12 or #13.

Only 3 of the original offer holders attended the visiting weekend, which (especially when paired with the 2 people on these forums that said they were declining the offer) seems to show that they will visit the wait-list at least a little. Moreover, of the 3 of us there, 1 had some high profile offers, but enough money to visit everywhere so he did. I expect he will decline based on things said. I also know of a few waitlist spots that have been given up. Of course, one cannot know where on the list those people were; however, it seems that at least halfway down the list will see an offer, if not lower.

Though, perhaps I should be careful with my illustration. Their list is not strictly ranked. Given that professors can only mentor so many people, and given the department's focus on balance, I assume that they list is likely loosely ranked with some wiggle room based on areas of interest.

I have an offer I am almost sure to take, visited and listened carefully, have a good friend on the waitlist, and was on the waitlist myself last year, so I have the system fairly well figured out. 

Similar can be said of Missouri, if anyone is curious about their method.

Speaking of, we ought reach out to Ian to see if we can't build up a Department Methods and Procedures section on his blog too. It'd be neat to have a single resource with dates, practices, funding packages, etc.  

For all my fellow suffering wait-listers, it just so happens that a total lunar eclipse is going to occur on April 15, 2014: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_2014_lunar_eclipse

...As if the deadline wasn't dramatic enough already!

1)  accepted to BGSU

2)  waitlisted at brandeis

3)  haven't heard from UWM, NIU, WMU, SFSU, or CSULA

4)  rejected from (it's a loooooooooong list): princeton, brown, um, tufts, colorado su, ohio uni, msu, miami ohio, virginia polytech, loyola

going out of my mind waiting around but glad 2 have an acceptance

Also, I gleaned a fair bit about the UVA procedures and numbers while there, and I see a lot of chatter about it, so let me help a bit:

They make 5 or 6 offers, and then wait-list a little over a dozen more or so. If one takes the top admit as #1 and the last on the waitlist as #20, then in an average year one would see offers going to as low as #15 or #16, with a 'good' year reaching #12 or #13.

Only 3 of the original offer holders attended the visiting weekend, which (especially when paired with the 2 people on these forums that said they were declining the offer) seems to show that they will visit the wait-list at least a little. Moreover, of the 3 of us there, 1 had some high profile offers, but enough money to visit everywhere so he did. I expect he will decline based on things said. I also know of a few waitlist spots that have been given up. Of course, one cannot know where on the list those people were; however, it seems that at least halfway down the list will see an offer, if not lower.

Though, perhaps I should be careful with my illustration. Their list is not strictly ranked. Given that professors can only mentor so many people, and given the department's focus on balance, I assume that they list is likely loosely ranked with some wiggle room based on areas of interest.

I have an offer I am almost sure to take, visited and listened carefully, have a good friend on the waitlist, and was on the waitlist myself last year, so I have the system fairly well figured out. 

Speaking of, we ought reach out to Ian to see if we can't build up a Department Methods and Procedures section on his blog too. It'd be neat to have a single resource with dates, practices, funding packages, etc.  

That's a lot of helpful information. Let's say they make 5-6 original offers, and based on what you say, let's further say that 3 of those original offers accept, leaving room for, say, another 3 spots? Alright, let's then say that the waitlist is about 12 people, and as that so far three people have declined the waitlist, leaving 9 students left to whom the department can make offers. Now, is it safe to assume that anybody on the waitlist who would have accepted another offer/declined the waitlist would have let them know? So is it safe to say that of the remaining 9 people, all 9 want to go to UVA and will accept an offer? If that is the case, how can they go as low as #15 or #16, assuming they have three spots left to fill? It seems, at least to me, that they would be more likely to go down to about #12, given three initial offers accepted, three declined, plus three who declined the waitlist, then finally 3 on the waitlist who accept offers. 

Thanks for the info.

Are you certain that their list is not strictly ranked? I know many program do it that way, but I'm not sure about UVA. (Of course, I do not mean to discredit you.)

By the way, can you confirm that they sent out two rounds of wait lists? 

That's a lot of helpful information. Let's say they make 5-6 original offers, and based on what you say, let's further say that 3 of those original offers accept, leaving room for, say, another 3 spots? Alright, let's then say that the waitlist is about 12 people, and as that so far three people have declined the waitlist, leaving 9 students left to whom the department can make offers. Now, is it safe to assume that anybody on the waitlist who would have accepted another offer/declined the waitlist would have let them know? So is it safe to say that of the remaining 9 people, all 9 want to go to UVA and will accept an offer? If that is the case, how can they go as low as #15 or #16, assuming they have three spots left to fill? It seems, at least to me, that they would be more likely to go down to about #12, given three initial offers accepted, three declined, plus three who declined the waitlist, then finally 3 on the waitlist who accept offers. 

Well, according to another offer holder this year there are 26 people in total.