Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

]I fit the description above and declined my offer two days ago.

Are you sure you are a mind person and not a language person?? Two days ago?? That makes me very anxious since i have not heard anything!

I am not a language person at all. I mean, I guess I have one co-authored language presentation on my CV... but yeah, thoroughly mind, with maybe a dash of metaphysics and epistemology. Please don't bring my posts to their attention or anything; I'm sure there's just some kind of information delay.

I got an email from CUNY late last night (11:30pm) that I'm on the waitlist for admissions and doesn't mention funding. They did offer me a spot in the MA (presumably unfuned) and said they had 230 applicants for 10 spots. I'd love to stay in NYC, but I don't know how much the waitlist will move. 

Looking for advice on this issue: 

I have some wait-list offers, one of which I would absolutely accept if it turned into an admissions offer. Now, I have spoken with some friends in PhD. programs already who say that it is not a bad idea to e-mail such a program and inform them that if you were to be accepted off the wait-list, you would absolutely accept the offer. As my friends say, this may incline them to bump you up the list or, if it is getting down to the April 15 wire, they may straight up send you an offer. The reason he gave had partially to do with the fact that some schools need to get their admits in before the funding pool dries up, and they may lose out on future funds if they are not able to admit enough students this time around. Therefore, if they are under pressure in that they are waiting an especially long time to hear back from those they offered admissions to and those at the top of the list, they may dive into the wait-list early. 

Thoughts? 

Looking for advice on this issue: 

I have some wait-list offers, one of which I would absolutely accept if it turned into an admissions offer. Now, I have spoken with some friends in PhD. programs already who say that it is not a bad idea to e-mail such a program and inform them that if you were to be accepted off the wait-list, you would absolutely accept the offer. As my friends say, this may incline them to bump you up the list or, if it is getting down to the April 15 wire, they may straight up send you an offer. The reason he gave had partially to do with the fact that some schools need to get their admits in before the funding pool dries up, and they may lose out on future funds if they are not able to admit enough students this time around. Therefore, if they are under pressure in that they are waiting an especially long time to hear back from those they offered admissions to and those at the top of the list, they may dive into the wait-list early. 

Thoughts? 

I'd recommend talking to your advisor or one of your letter writers. Show them your wait list letter and ask how you should proceed.

I'd recommend talking to your advisor or one of your letter writers. Show them your wait list letter and ask how you should proceed.

Right. Obviously that was my first step. I'll probably take the advice I got from two of my writers, but wanted to open it up for comments here as well. 

Right. Obviously that was my first step. I'll probably take the advice I got from two of my writers, but wanted to open it up for comments here as well. 

Sorry, it wasn't obvious to me that you already had advice from your letter writers. You should just follow their advice. I don't think anyway here knows a whole lot about how wait lists typically work, let alone how they work at the particular school that you're interested in. My own uninformed view is that it can't hurt to write a short note to the department expressing your enthusiasm about the program. I wouldn't bank on it helping you much either, though.

Me three. Form email from Carol Gould (I was in the bcc field). I think I'll stay on it for now, though I may remove myself at some later point (I'm not sure if I'd take the offer over Riverside, which I loved when I visited, but I'm not sure I wouldn't, either).