Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!! I got into NYU!  I just got a call from the DGS and they are VERY impressed with my application. They are flying me up in a couple of weekends for the prospective student thing.  I am ELATED.  It's such a huge weight off my shoulders; I burst into tears when I hung up. I'm still shaking.

HELLS YES!!!!!!!!

Not necessarily. The person I want to work with is at a university that doesn't have a PhD program, but he's one of the few people interested in what I want to study. James Mokhiber because he focuses on arts and crafts education in colonial Tunisia.

Are you both members of MESA? Perhaps at a minimum you could be on a panel together?

Some of my dream advisers are retired, nearing retirement or not even in my field. William Cronon comes to mind. My work is so far from environmental/western history, but he's my favorite author. I recommend Nature's Metropolis to random people on the train all the time.

But I agree with telkanuru, too. All the scholars I applied to work with would be a dream come true for me.

Mark Noll, of Notre Dame, historian of American religion. He is retiring in the next couple of years, though.

He graduated with his PhD from Vanderbilt in 3.5 years.....

HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!! I got into NYU! I just got a call from the DGS and they are VERY impressed with my application. They are flying me up in a couple of weekends for the prospective student thing. I am ELATED. It's such a huge weight off my shoulders; I burst into tears when I hung up. I'm still shaking.

Congrats!!! That's awesome

I don't think convergence of research interests is fully necessary for a good student-advisor partnership. I think mutual understanding and complementary communication styles and work methods are probably more critical, and unfortunately those are almost impossible to predict. One prospective advisor I've been in touch with during the application process, however, seems to have the ideal personality/ethos to be a good supervisor for me and I hope I get into their program. I'd rather not say their name, though! (I'm pretty sure actual academics read this site.)

That being said, one person whose research inspires and interests me and whom I couldn't possibly work with is Alexander Murray, the author of Reason and Society in the Middle Ages. All of his projects--on numbers and quantitative reasoning, the cultural significance of money, suicide, social class and piety--are fascinating. He spent his academic career at Oxford, but unfortunately he has retired from teaching.

Edit: ashiepoo72, Bill Cronon came to my college for a lecture and a series of seminars a couple of years ago! He's a very impressive fellow in person.

Edited by L13

Oh that's awesome! Are you gonna go visit to see if you click with the professor?

I can't believe we might hear back so soon...Now I'll be obsessively checking my email once again. I hope for both of us that we are presented with good offers. NCSU is one of my top choices, so I'm holding out hope for funding. Let me know when you find out!

If I get funding then I definitely will!  I'm excited about the chance to even just dialogue with another ancient history professor (my undergrad institution only had the one)!

I know, I'm freaking out! I can't wait to know my options with NCSU and Tech...after talking on the phone with my POI from Tech last December, he said he'd write the Graduate School and recommend me for acceptance, but I haven't heard anything back yet....I'll absolutely let you know when I hear from NCSU though!

Congratulations! Was the call from a blocked/ unavailable # ? 

I just got a call from a blocked # but I was in class and my phone wasn't on silent so I panicked and hit ignore and they didn't leave a message.... hmmmmm

This week was way quieter than expected, but I haven't lost hope for tomorrow. Fridays, judging from previous years' results submissions, seem to see heavy traffic. That said, yes...I am about ready to flip my lid if I don't hear something, anything, back very soon.

While I'd like to think that I'm going to hear something tomorrow, I'm pretty sure that the week after next is gonna be where it's at for most of the places I applied to.  No matter how much I actually believe that, I can't seem to quit checking the results at least once an hour.  I think JTE is on to something with Fridays though, so good luck tomorrow everyone!

Some of my dream advisers are retired, nearing retirement or not even in my field. William Cronon comes to mind. My work is so far from environmental/western history, but he's my favorite author. I recommend Nature's Metropolis to random people on the train all the time.

But I agree with telkanuru, too. All the scholars I applied to work with would be a dream come true for me.

I have Nature's Metropolis signed by Dr. Cronon hehe. He came to UC Davis for a guest lecture last year, which is how I met him, and like a schoolgirl waiting for her favorite band, I brought a copy of his book and asked him to sign it. Really really cool guy, approachable and quirky. Regarding the book, it too is one of my favorites. Maybe not in my top 100, but it is definitely very memorable and profound with amazing details. 

Anybody else ready to flip if they don't hear anything next week? I've pretty much given up on this week at this point, but next week MUST be a big one. Right? Right?

Im with you Ivan. 

Although, I heard back from NWU today and I was rejected =(

This week was way quieter than expected, but I haven't lost hope for tomorrow. Fridays, judging from previous years' results submissions, seem to see heavy traffic. That said, yes...I am about ready to flip my lid if I don't hear something, anything, back very soon.

I'm in the same boat. I keep flip-flopping between 'it would be nice to hear something' and 'no news is better than a rejection'

I'm really tired of having this conversation with myself 1,200 times a day.

I just got a rejection letter / email from Columbia.  I have a Master's (3.93), numerous conferences, 100+ page master's thesis in non translated documents, 3 years teaching experience in the field, and am bi-lingual.  I was going for Chinese history, btw.  Good luck to those that applied and congrats to those who got accepted.