Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Josh J., I am in a similar position to you.  I am 35, have two kids.  I failed out my first year of college at 18, more interested in being a college person, rather than a college student.  Went back, got the BA, took a couple years off, got the MA.  
Now, where I differ a bit is I went right into a PhD program that wasn't a great fit.  Add into that that during my MA my drinking went from social and blowing off steam to near destructive in two years.  So, I while I have no recommendations about going to a PhD with kids in tow, I do not recommend going as a full blown alcoholic.  Especially to a program very far away from anybody you know, and any kind of support network.  Failed one semester, ended up dropping out in the second to save myself and the program any more embarrassment. That was three years ago.  I have my stuff together now, have some time sober, have repaired bridges with family and original PhD program (who were actually willing to invite me back unfunded on a prove it basis, pretty cool of them), and have dome some work for a local museum.  So, when it came time for SOPs, I said what was necessary, but not in overly detailed soap opera stuff.  My LORs all know about my struggles and they really helped to guide me through this application process and what to say and not say in the SOPs.  I know one LOR put in his letter about how I was able to succeed with family, etc., but that was his choice.  
Anyway, I think it is great that a lot of you who are posting aren't the students who zipped through BA, MA, and all that as younger students, although props to those who are.  I think having some life experience is helpful, and I feel it gives us a bit more appreciation perhaps.  Maybe a little more stamina as well  ;) 

I actually have a strike against my past academic history as well. I attempted a master's program in my mid twenties but due to family issues had to not complete the program.  Since that time I went to a different master's program and finished with a 4.0.  I didn't mention the initial program in my SOP on the advice of my LOR.  Hopefully, the programs I applied to won't hold it against me.  

I think I've mentioned this before, but POIs I spoke to repeatedly told me they're looking for interesting candidates. I think having an atypical academic journey doesn't necessarily mean a mark against you. Obviously you've succeeded regardless of the setbacks, so that shows mettle!

I think I've mentioned this before, but POIs I spoke to repeatedly told me they're looking for interesting candidates. I think having an atypical academic journey doesn't necessarily mean a mark against you. Obviously you've succeeded regardless of the setbacks, so that shows mettle!

I concur. Ive spoken to countless POIs and undergrad profs, (and of course this site) about the importance of "academic fit." I do not want to sound naive, but it sounds like to me that if you meet the bare minimum qualifications for each program, and you have that fit, you stand a chance of acceptance. Regardless of spikes, or declines in ones academic career, sh*t happens. As long as you come back strong from your decline, explained in your essay (or to the POI) why what happened happened, and its a reasonable excuse, then you shouldnt stress too much about it. 

Speaking for myself, on my transcripts, theres a brief gpa decline in my junior year (two consecutive quarters). Excuses aside, senior year I came back strong! I took two research seminars fall and winter quarter, alongside the few remaining classes I needed to graduate, and thats that. My gpa is not at all impressive; however, if my transcript is to be meticulously studied (hopefully it is by the adcoms), they'll note that I always took harda** classes, I participated in this and that, did that and alittle this, and I have a cool number of 7 seminars under my belt (with one being grad level). Hopefully, in the eyes of the adcoms, my pros will outweigh the cons and they'll reward me a golden ticket into the chocolate facto-... into their program. 

Thats how I see my academic bumps and hiccups. Maybe my attitude will change in the next few weeks. This is a maturing, and learning process for all of us. 

I have a kid as well.  My 1st try at college was a colossal failure, but then I went into the Army and after getting out have done particularly well.  I'm currently in a War Studies programme, although I'm applying to U.S. History programs back in the states.  Here's to hoping that doing an MLitt in a different field won't kill my chances of getting into a non-military history program.

It's refreshing to see many different types of stories and experiences on here.  I really think this forum is coming together as some type of crazy community.  In some small way it helps with the (mounting) anxiety of wait and see season.  Thanks all. 

Question for you guys -- do you think that the size of a department matters? I ask because so far I've gotten two offers -- one from a very large department, and one from a department half that size. As it happens, my undergrad department is smaller than both! (Actually, my undergrad school is one of the smallest in the Big 10, and smaller than these two schools by 15,000 + students, so it makes sense that these departments are larger.)

I'm not inherently opposed to going to a large department, but I'm wondering if the size makes a difference in terms of things like funding, advising, etc. 

Edited -- @rmw, I'm sorry to hear that! But it's still early, so I wouldn't lose hope! (Also, the bonfire is a great idea.)

Edited by girlscoutcookies

Girlscoutcookies--my undergrad institution had a larger history department, while my MA institution has a very small one. My BA department was nice because there were so many options, a lot of coverage of most places and periods of history, and it happened to be better funded than my MA dept (though I didn't realize it then, because the UCs are battling for financial support). My MA institution is awesome because small class sizes, small cohorts and lots of professor-student interaction. I never really got to know professors at my BA school because it was so much larger. I won't ever badmouth my undergrad institution because I was well trained, but theres something to be said about smaller, more intimite departments. I think it really depends on each person individually. I'm okay with either kind of department, but some people might feel lost at sea in a large program or equally poorly in a small one.

Don't feel bad rmw, I've only heard back from one school and it was a rejection. To add insult to injury, a week later they sent me a letter. I ripped it up, threw it in the trash, bought cupcakes, and binge watched Netflix for a day. While I highly recommend cupcakes and Netflix, a bonfire also sounds nice. I'm sending positive vibes your way!

Edited by a.rev

Hi, all! First time post-er! I'm the one who posted the William and Mary acceptance. So excited; this is my first acceptance!! 
Chiqui: Don't lose hope!! I received an informal phone call; they said official notifications will be going out later this week.  

I just received my first official rejection. Definitely hurts a little bit, so I'm saving the letter for a bonfire.

I know someone who has kept every rejection letter he's ever gotten.  He's in academia too, a tenure track professor. 

Thanks guys :) and welcome gambaosaka! You're in good company here ;)

Cheers!

Got into the one MA program I went for (UCLA)...still waiting on funding details. I was told I'd be "in line for recruitment funding" so fingers crossed that comes through!

Congrats on being 3/3! Guessing you are far less anxious now than you were a few weeks ago eh?

Chandos Brown. I'm interested in the social and cultural impact of the 19th-century American cholera epidemics.

Thanks! Did he call you?  At least it's not the same POI.  This is so stressful.

Thanks! Did he call you?  At least it's not the same POI.  This is so stressful.

The phone call was actually from the director of graduate studies.

And, ugh, I know! This whole process is so stressful. Hang in there! I'm sure your acceptance is coming soon!!

The phone call was actually from the director of graduate studies.

And, ugh, I know! This whole process is so stressful. Hang in there! I'm sure your acceptance is coming soon!!

Well, then, there goes my shot!  I doubt the DGS would call (or email) some accepts and not others, even if official notifications will be sent out later.

BearBait -- welcome to the board and congrats on W&M!!

Gambaosaka -- Congrats on UCLA! And I feel ridiculously lucky! Im doubly excited to see some fellow gradcafe members getting into awesome places, and it'll only get better in the coming weeks as more people finally get in!

Everyone, keep in mind many of these acceptances were informal, which means more people will get in once official notices come out :)

Edit: congratulations to all the Stanford admits!!! It's such a gorgeous school, not to mention an amazing program! And the Hoover Institution...there are no words...

Edited by ashiepoo72

I guess Stanford called their admits today.  Haven't been contacted - it was kind of a reach, and I messed up several times on my application as well, the deadline was a lot earlier than most of my other schools and I just wasn't very ready.  Oh well, here's to waiting for the other schools to get back!  Congrats to everyone who got in!

Edited by Hyram McDaniels