Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Hi all! I just heard about this sight a couple of weeks ago (great timing, as that's when the decisions started flowing). Thanks for keeping me sane the last few weeks. It's nice to hear how other people are faring and know when schools are starting to send decisions out (and give me something to check constantly besides email and application status). Good luck in all of your remaining applications!

Hi all! I just heard about this sight a couple of weeks ago (great timing, as that's when the decisions started flowing). Thanks for keeping me sane the last few weeks. It's nice to hear how other people are faring and know when schools are starting to send decisions out (and give me something to check constantly besides email and application status). Good luck in all of your remaining applications!

Wow!  Congrats, Jayray11, on an impressive acceptance record!

So far, things are looking bleak, but I'm trying to keep the faith. Only heard from 2 (in the negative, to be clear) thus far.

Stanford, Emory, Bryn Mawr (Classics), Wisconsin-Madison, UPenn, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA, Chicago, George Mason, NYU.

Edited by Bellerophon

Hi All!  

I am also a long time forum stalker ready to chime in!  I am kind of a hybrid PhD applicant.  My research focus is the history of U.S. education from 1870s-1920s-ish.  Particularly interested in the U.S. occupation and school system-building in the Philippines and how it connects to other education and reform movements of the time period.  

I applied to some history programs and some education departments.  I wanted to chime in to claim one of the other Binghamton admits, Heimat!  I am excited about the decisions coming up in the next few weeks. 

Good luck to all and thanks for developing a great community that took the edge off of the anxiety!

So far, things are looking bleak, but I'm trying to keep the faith. Only heard from 2 (in the negative, to be clear) thus far.

Stanford, Emory, Bryn Mawr (Classics), Wisconsin-Madison, UPenn, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVA, Chicago, George Mason, NYU.

keep the faith! I have not heard from anyone yet, although 3 of my 4 schools have begun acceptances. 

My 4th, GMU, based on past results, might be accepting any day now. Maybe we'll both get in there! 

ADVICE/THOUGHTS:

So this application season (my first time applying-I graduated undergrad in May 2014) has not gone as well as I had hoped: AKA I have not received any acceptances. I did however get an interview at Emory but was eventually rejected because as my POI very kindly explained "they accepted mainly Latin American / African students this year, and accepted only 1 European student (I study Modern European-Germany) so although she really liked me and my application, it was basically not my year to get in"

So my question for all of you bright aspiring historians is this: What do I do between now and next year to strengthen my application? I am feeling a little lost seeing as I had a decent amount of accomplishments listed on my application this go around (a publication, 2 internships at relevant museums/archives, Phi Alpha Theta executive board member and editorial board member of my university's undergraduate history journal --we won both best chapter and best undergrad journal in nation while I was participating in these boards, currently working for a former professor copy-editing her upcoming history book, fluent in 1 language and working on a second......I think you get the point. Nothing earth shattering but a solid amount of good work thus far including of course a strong application (or so I thought :/ ) with good GPA and GRE and good LORs

I don't want to feel aimless and like I'm "putting my life on hold" while I prepare to reapply so I am looking for good suggestions that are realistic (able to be completed/worked on during these next few months to a year) that will help me be a more competitive applicant next time around. My POI at Emory said she really wants to stay in touch and wants to let her know what I'm up to, so do I look to her for suggestions? Is the typical "work on language skills, try and write a new article and publish" good enough? What about auditing grad courses at programs in my area? Doing archival research in Germany? Basically do any of you wonderful people have names of programs/seminars/workshops/etc that you or someone you know attended that facilitate an academic setting for students like me who are not in grad school but are working towards that goal, or perhaps anyone here wish to reveal a personal experience with this matter and subsequently have a list of what kind of Do's and Don'ts you would recommend? I know many of you are veterans of this process so this post is for everyone like me on this forum: feeling freshly down trodden and in the dumps do to no acceptances and at a loss of how to "get back in the game" so to say. Thanks!!

I'd audit grad classes or enroll in open university ones if you aren't interested in getting an MA but want to do something useful during your year off. Working on languages is always a good thing, especially for non-Americanists (though I encourage Americanists to also gain language skills to set themselves apart). Archival research is great if it's useful to your work. You could also take the year to do teaching abroad, set yourself up as a tutor for high school students or undergrads, etc.

Some are, you just need to get in contact with them ahead of time and ask. Usually you aren't allowed to talk during discussion when you audit, but it's still good experience, especially if you keep up on the reading.

UCSD sent me their rejection at 11:55 pm (Pacific Time). I was not surprised by the decision (the potential POI is super junior), but the timing is quite interesting. It's almost like when politicians release bad news on Friday afternoon so the news cycle buries the announcements. 

No San Diego weather for me. It's looking like I will be getting used to Chicago winters!

I'd audit grad classes or enroll in open university ones if you aren't interested in getting an MA but want to do something useful during your year off. Working on languages is always a good thing, especially for non-Americanists (though I encourage Americanists to also gain language skills to set themselves apart). Archival research is great if it's useful to your work. You could also take the year to do teaching abroad, set yourself up as a tutor for high school students or undergrads, etc.

Marte108:

Yeah, I think aside from the language I think having experience working in between academia (maybe abroad) would be great as Ashiepoo suggests. I don't think it's a must of course, but I think it may be seen as an important life experience that might be seen as an ingredient that makes a well-rounded/mature graduate student who is about to go through a rigorous and, at time, extremely difficult times in grad school. 

It would be nice to get feedback from other universities you applied to as well regarding your research topic. Sounds promising though that Emory liked it so much. But I know from my experience emailing POI's that some really liked the route I was taking with my research topic whereas others wanted me to tweak it. So it would be good to get a feel of how they look at your topic so you can tailor for each university you go for.

I would also look to see if you can go to any conferences where new research is being presented (especially in your area). Meet potential POIs, other PhD students in your area and get some good ideas.

So no chance this cycle? Have any of the programs you applied for suggested you do an MA with them instead? Good luck!

When am I going to get my bloody rejections from: Michigan, Wisconsin, Harvard, Columbia, Cornell and UC Santa Barbara (EALC)?

Itching to accept UNC but I know it would be silly since I spent so much time and money on the others to not even wait for their decision!

Gambaosaka, I feel the same way about Madison and the Rutgers waitlist. Even though I know I want to accept the Madison offer, I still want to know about Rutgers before I do. It's making me nuts.

Edited to add: at this point I am assuming rejections from Michigan and Vanderbilt. Fordham doesn't seem to notify until mid-March.

Edited by scirefaciat