Got Owned -- no more ee PhD for me.. :(

rewindmind

Hi guys,

Feeling pretty bummed here, got rejected from my best chance schools, Berkeley & Stanford, and I haven't heard anything from any of the other schools (Georgia Tech, UCSB, UCLA, UCSD).

I have a pretty low gpa, I know (3.3), but surely my work and project experiences demonstrate how I am able to excel at several different fields! I currently attend a big UC school and work for a great professor, but I want to become an expert in study signal processing and information theory, not photonics. Too bad my dreams have been crushed :( . What to do now?

Any advice? I have thought about trying to get a small job in the bay, CA, but I don't know how to pursue my goals in DSP without grad school..

Experience:

- Nano-photonics laboratory - Paid research assistant for 1 year, using TCAD to prototype and study devices

- Big Electronics Corporation - testing intern for 1 year, tested volumes of boards, wrote automation tools

- Carbon Nanotube laboratory - volunteer for 1.5 years, imaged and investigates samples

- Few other internships

- Several original "design" projects and applications built

- Experienced in C/C++, Python, Web

- Background (in order of familarity): DSP, Systems, Nanotechnology

I'm curious, why do you want to pursue signal processing / information theory while being without formal background in those? (I would assume your DSP to be classical transform-based signal processing.) My doubt is, it is possible that the adcom doesn't see how your research interest is realistic, given your experience. If that's truly the case, were I you, I would try to build up my formal experience in signal processing / information theory, either by works, or Master coursework.

Applying to top schools "feels" good but if you don't give yourself several low backups you would have dug your own hole. This is regardless of GPA, GRE or anything else that may affect the admissions. But for you, it's not too late. There are schools out there with their deadlines either still open or have rolling admissions. Keep at it.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm curious, why do you want to pursue signal processing / information theory while being without formal background in those? (I would assume your DSP to be classical transform-based signal processing.) My doubt is, it is possible that the adcom doesn't see how your research interest is realistic, given your experience. If that's truly the case, were I you, I would try to build up my formal experience in signal processing / information theory, either by works, or Master coursework.

What does it mean to have a formal background in DSP? I've taken several signals and system classes, feedback control, used similar considerations in analog circuit classes, programmed an embedded processor. Is this enough?

In parallel to my research in the Photonics lab, I'm working with another professor to develop a new Computer Vision algorithm for biological signal analysis. This is where the core of my study began, trying to compare digital signals mathematically. Feeling empowered by my ability to understand (theory) and apply (code) DSP/linear-algebra, I applied to grad school to study (digital) information.

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong: I view doing a PhD as the chance to become an expert by solving problems in your field. I tried to convey this in my personal statement, but I guess I wasn't convincing enough for the Admissions Committee to extend me an offer. But its OK. I'm not really caught up in having a piece of paper justify my credentials, I care about learning the stuff and solving cool problems. What should I do? I need some way to support myself !

Things I was thinking of pursuing:

- an extended internship, apply in 1 year

- a entry-level job, apply in 4 years if really want to

- a job at a small company that does circuits / dsp, build my way up. forget about the PhD.

What do you think?

Edited by rewindmind

What does it mean to have a formal background in DSP? I've taken several signals and system classes, feedback control, used similar considerations in analog circuit classes, programmed an embedded processor. Is this enough?

In parallel to my research in the Photonics lab, I'm working with another professor to develop a new Computer Vision algorithm for biological signal analysis. This is where the core of my study began, trying to compare digital signals mathematically. Feeling empowered by my ability to understand (theory) and apply (code) DSP/linear-algebra, I applied to grad school to study (digital) information.

I see. You never told us that you have done / are doing research related to DSP.

By "formal" I mean it should go at some depth. It was curious to me, since DSP (assuming it is the classical transform-based one, which involves mainly Fourier-type transforms) is not a new thing. If you get what I mean...

Things I was thinking of pursuing:

- an extended internship, apply in 1 year

- a entry-level job, apply in 4 years if really want to

- a job at a small company that does circuits / dsp, build my way up. forget about the PhD.

What do you think?

All the hope is not yet lost. But to be on the safe side, how about preparing for secondary alternatives now (i.e. both your 2nd and 3rd options), while waiting for news  until April / May? If you don't get into any and that doesn't crush your dream of getting a PhD completely, then I think there is still time to find research internship.

Passion will guide you back the route you want and ought to take, so don't worry about options. However, to stay realistic, it would be better mentally if it feels more secure.

Edited by hikaru1221

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for OP to answer this question.

I guess I misspoke. Not "best-chance", rather "best-case". Berk/Stanford I think were within my reach, if I had a better GPA... Oh well.

Rejected from GT. Waiting on UCSB/LA/SD.

But, I talked to my Prof about my future plans, and we found a cool physics project that I could be a part of for a Master's project in my current lab. I'm not going to expect any admits, hoping to re-evaluate PhD in 1-2 years.

• 1 month later...