Decision Thread 2014

daykid

Thanks, KingScilla & CulturalAnth - it really is a nerve-wracking process and I am soooo ready for it to be over! Will let you know how it turns and best of luck to you and your SO, KingScilla!

I'm dealing with the two-body problem also - and we're hoping to get an offer from the same school. Since you brought up the PNW, what I think we need is a bunch more amazing schools in the region! There are some ok ones but not enough diversity in anthro programs there! For example - how in the world is it that there is no anthro PhD program in Portland at all?!

Got my final funding offer today!  Funny because I was so anxious about it this morning.  I will be accepting my admission to UC San Diego!  I'm very excited.  It's my top choice and it's a great school and my POI is someone I really admire.  

I still haven't heard anything one way or the other from UC Riverside.  Do you guys think I should email them and say "forget it, I've chosen another school," or just wait and see what happens?  I would hate it if they accepted me and it took a spot away from someone else.  

Got my final funding offer today!  Funny because I was so anxious about it this morning.  I will be accepting my admission to UC San Diego!  I'm very excited.  It's my top choice and it's a great school and my POI is someone I really admire.  

I still haven't heard anything one way or the other from UC Riverside.  Do you guys think I should email them and say "forget it, I've chosen another school," or just wait and see what happens?  I would hate it if they accepted me and it took a spot away from someone else.  

Yes, you should email the grad coordinator and say something like "I appreciate you taking the time to review my application, but at this time I would like to withdraw it since I will be accepting another offer."

So happy for you!

Yes, you should email the grad coordinator and say something like "I appreciate you taking the time to review my application, but at this time I would like to withdraw it since I will be accepting another offer."

So happy for you!

I agree with this.. congrats!!!

Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I am happy to report that I have decided to accept an offer for the MA program in social anth at Simon Fraser University. They offered a very generous funding package which will also allow for me to gain TA experience. Now I'm just waiting on the SSHRC decision - fingers crossed!

UCR, Cornell, UAlbany (all PhD) and Brandeis (MA).

I'm torn. I wish I could say I've made some progress... I've gotten dangerously close to choosing a name out of a hat. (Okay not really, but almost!)

Strudelle- congratulations! I wish you so much happiness there. 

Khannnn- looks like you can't go wrong. I don't know what UCR is like, but Cornell is in Ithaca, and if you like nature and shop at farmer's markets, it's for you. There are tons of waterfall hikes within ten minutes of town. (Sorry, gorges, and all the corresponding puns). Cornell looks more like Hogwarts than any other school in the Americas. Cold winters, lovely late spring, summer, and early fall, charming town. Would be my personal choice over Albany if decisions were made only on setting, which of course they aren't!

I'm dealing with the two-body problem also - and we're hoping to get an offer from the same school. Since you brought up the PNW, what I think we need is a bunch more amazing schools in the region! There are some ok ones but not enough diversity in anthro programs there! For example - how in the world is it that there is no anthro PhD program in Portland at all?!

Agreed! There are two medical schools the whole region and very few PhD programs as well. It's crazy given the caliber of the major public universities and the resources available in Seattle and Portland.

It's not even 9 am yet and im out of positive votes, congrats to everyone who knows where they are going next year!

I second this! So excited for everybody and their next steps!

Thanks guys!  

Congrats scottg! 

Khannn - it sounds like you have a ton of good options.  If it were me choosing, I would go with wherever has the best funding, research opportunities, and the faculty I want to work with the most.  Maybe you should contact current grad students and see how they feel about each program?  Might help you make up your mind :)  

For those sociocultural/cultural people who proposed medical or STS topics and were successful, would you be interested in sharing your SOP with me over email?  I am looking for structure, not content, and I swear not to pass it around or use it.  PM if you are interested!  Thanks and congrats!

I have accepted an offer at UCLA! I look forward to meeting anyone else who will be there! xx

That's great! Congratulations on your decision :)

For those sociocultural/cultural people who proposed medical or STS topics and were successful, would you be interested in sharing your SOP with me over email?  I am looking for structure, not content, and I swear not to pass it around or use it.  PM if you are interested!  Thanks and congrats!

PMing you - one of my projects is STS broadly defined.

Ucr rejected me before I had a chance to email them! Convenient, yet it kind of stings. Being rejected doesn't feel great.

That sucks! But you go into your top choice, so now you can relax and focus on that.

I thought waiting for decisions was a challenge. But deciding on which offer to accept, if any, is even worse.

My partner and I were both admitted to the same school. But I have offers at two other schools, one of which is a top school. What do we do? We're still waiting for the funding numbers on the school were were both admitted to - so we have to see. But studying together in the same place is a dream of mine. If they give us both enough at the mutual school would I be crazy to turn down my great offer at a top school?

Serious thinking to do. Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Canis- there will come a time that you two will have to make one career the priority over the other or be alright with living in different cities. Only you two can decide this. If I remember correctly your SO is going to med school right? If so they probably will be very busy so with lots of visited and hard work you could make the long distance thing work.

I thought waiting for decisions was a challenge. But deciding on which offer to accept, if any, is even worse.

My partner and I were both admitted to the same school. But I have offers at two other schools, one of which is a top school. What do we do? We're still waiting for the funding numbers on the school were were both admitted to - so we have to see. But studying together in the same place is a dream of mine. If they give us both enough at the mutual school would I be crazy to turn down my great offer at a top school?

Serious thinking to do. Any thoughts and advice much appreciated.

That's tough. I would pick going to the same school, in my own case, but we have kids and a family, so that would make the most sense to me (and I really hate being without him! He used to be in the military so I know what being without him is like!) 

Thanks both for the advice! My SO is a sociologist. We're talking a lot about it, and thinking through goals and benefits and plans, and I really appreciate the advice and thoughts!

The funny thing about this situation is the "long distance" aspect of it is really long. ~4,600 miles (7500 km) from school to school by car, 8.5 hours by plane. Basically the furthest point you go go east to west on North America...