Decision Thread 2014

daykid

CulturalAnth - I would always pick happiness above all else. Getting an advanced degree, regardless of whether it's an MA or a PhD, is a significant challenge.  It is so important that you be in a good frame of mind and have a good support system while you are doing this.  ESPECIALLY if you have a baby on the way.  I don't know if it's your first, but from what I gather from my friends with kids, you will need more help from your family than you realize with juggling a baby and a career/education.

Even if you are only getting the MA from UNLV, it sounds like that is definitely where you want to be. I'm assuming you have already contacted them about your mix-up, but I really think you should ask them if it's at all possible to do the terminal MA and then move onto the PhD with them.  Some schools allow you to continue on in their program after the MA, some don't. You can always decide to try to apply for a PhD after the MA at another university if you can't stay with UNLV.  I think it really sounds like your best option right now.  But the way you worded your post makes me think you might already know that :)

They do allow grad students to apply to the PhD after the MA, so long as one doesn't get their B.S/B.A from UNLV. When my POI originally emailed me the decision for an MA, she also mentioned that she encouraged me to reapply to the PhD after my MA, and that I would have a good chance of getting accepted so long as I do well with my masters. But, there is still a possibility that I wouldn't, and I have been thinking that I want to stay somewhere for a while, for my family stability sake. However, I was also thinking that I don't want to live in Pullman so much that after 3 years of being at WSU I was going to ask to move to the Vancouver campus, so that kind of contradicts that logic. lol. 

Well, I received a fantastic email from one of my UNLV POIs. I am going to temporarily post it here to get some thought feedback, removing names. I think this email seals the deal for me: 

(I have now removed it, but PM me if you want to read the response)

Edited by CulturalAnth

Well that's exciting Cultural Anth! Does this mean your decision is made?

I am going to sit on it for a few days, but yes, I think so. I also told them about my pregnancy and received yet another happy, positive response about it. 

They also told me that I could push back my acceptance for a year if I wanted to, but I think going part time will be just fine for me (I get bored staying home all the time, I NEED school!). I am feeling really good about UNLV now, especially now that I've told them my pregnancy news and got a positive reaction from them. 

I am going to sit on it for a few days, but yes, I think so. I also told them about my pregnancy and received yet another happy, positive response about it. 

They also told me that I could push back my acceptance for a year if I wanted to, but I think going part time will be just fine for me (I get bored staying home all the time, I NEED school!). I am feeling really good about UNLV now, especially now that I've told them my pregnancy news and got a positive reaction from them. 

Yay! Double congrats!!! What an exciting year for you.

Ohh, that's wonderful! That's great that they went out of their way to mention deferring your acceptance for a year; that definitely bodes well for how they treat their students & such. Doing a happy wiggle dance for you!~

Sounds like you know what you're doin'! Good luck, and glad to see that you have some more "concrete" details to work with, finally. 

What amazing news! Congratulations! Would you mind sending me the letter you got from your POI? I'm currently trying to figure out which POI to work with, and I'd love to get some perspective about what other supervisors are saying.

What amazing news! Congratulations! Would you mind sending me the letter you got from your POI? I'm currently trying to figure out which POI to work with, and I'd love to get some perspective about what other supervisors are saying.

Sure, I'll PM you :)

Ack! Now that I have pretty much made up my mind about UNLV, I feel like I am breaking up with my POI at WSU! I know she will understand my reasonings for choosing a different university, but I know she has also put a lot of effort into me, and I don't want to be a disappointment! How are you all letting down your POIs with the news of accepting elsewhere? 

Ack! Now that I have pretty much made up my mind about UNLV, I feel like I am breaking up with my POI at WSU! I know she will understand my reasonings for choosing a different university, but I know she has also put a lot of effort into me, and I don't want to be a disappointment! How are you all letting down your POIs with the news of accepting elsewhere? 

I've been having this issue a lot. Be gracious. Thank them for everything sincerely. Let them know that you hope to continue to work with them in the future. If there are personal reasons why you are choosing one place over another, tell them those. I told UT that a big part of my decision was that after having made such a big move back in November, we wanted to be a little closer to home (which is Jersey). So, that ended up being one of the deciding factors as to why UT was a no.

Edited by daykid

I've been having this issue a lot. Be gracious. Thank them for everything sincerely. Let them know that you hope to continue to work with them in the future. If there are personal reasons why you are choosing one place over another, tell them those. I told UT that a big part of my decision was that after having made such a big move back in November, we wanted to be a little closer to home (which is Jersey). So, that ended up being one of the deciding factors as to why UT was a no.

This!

Also, remember that you can always have outside committee members! I ended up doing that with one of the POIs I had to "break up with" (hehe). Now, he will be a reader on my committee and I still get to work with him. 

I'm so glad people feel the same way! I still haven't decided, and things get more complicated every day, but I just don't want to have to say "no" and "break up." It's hard saying no sometimes. I wish I could go to both at the same time.

I hear this! I felt the same today, having just decided. But I will officially be attending Vanderbilt University.

Music City, Y'all!

Thanks, widely, for the support you've all been. Virtual communities are such great phenomena. 

Congrats! I know you're going to be very happy!

After eliminating the interdisciplinary program from my list of possibilities and assuming that I was going to accept McMaster's offer, I received an amazing offer from the University of Toronto a few days ago. The two offers are very different in terms of funding - one includes a TA position, and one doesn't, which means that I can't compare them directly. Here are the factors affecting my decision:

McMaster:

• Small, 4-stream department with a small cohort of students entering the program each year.
  • Assigned supervisor has been very, very helpful throughout the application process. She has a reputation of being supportive and great to work with.
  • My focus is on medical anthropology, and the program has an "anthropology of health" stream that I could pursue. McMaster isn't known for social sciences, but it is very well-known (in Canada and internationally) for its medical programs and medical school.
  • I would probably need to move to go here, or I would need to commute an hour each way to attend classes and events.

U of T

• Large, 5-stream department with an anticipated 25-person cohort for 2014. According to their literature (so I'm taking this with a very large grain of salt), their anthro program is in the top 20 in the world.
  • Assigned supervisor is well-known and well-connected, and has demonstrated an acute understanding of the finer points of academic success. He hasn't been very communicative throughout the process though, but we did have one amazing meeting a few months ago.
  • Again, my focus is on medical anthropology, and the department offers a number of classes specifically on this topic.
  • I could live in the exact same apartment if I went to U of T - I currently live in Toronto.

Things I'm considering:

1. I graduated a number of years ago, and my undergraduate degree is in another (related) discipline. I will be playing catch-up with some students on the finer points of anthropological theory and research. I have extensive (professional) experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research for the private sector, though.
  2. I want to pursue a PhD at an international school, so my primary concern is getting through the MA with the credentials and LoRs necessary to get in to a high-ranked international school with funding.

Because of these factors, I'm wondering whether it would make the most sense to work with the supportive advisor who understands where my experience is limited (at the less-prestigious university), or work with the well-connected supervisor at the high-ranked, highly-competitive school. I'm worried that I'll get lost in the mix at U of T, and I'm worried that I'll be giving up a huge opportunity to attend a top-ranked school and work with a well-connected supervisor if I go to Mac.

I would absolutely love any advice the rest of you could give! I'm offering virtual hugs and good vibes to anyone who helps me make this tough decision. :)

Edited by Kaitri

Personally, I'm in a similar situation where I'm using my masters as a stepping stone to my PhD...so that's why I would appreciate the smaller, more personable environment that McMaster appears to provide you. It also seems like a great place that would provide great recommendation letters once you start applying for your PhD? That's how I'm viewing it.

Kaitri, I would go with McMaster because since you need to catch up, a smaller department would allow you to do so and would provide you with the support you need. Having a smaller department also means more chances to stand out which would be great when applying to PhD programs.

Good luck with the decision.

Assuming you could be equally happy living in both places, you will have more success with admissions if you choose U of T. I can tell you that anthropologists (TT faculty) here in NYC talk about UofT and UBC as considered to be equal in caliber to US schools. Those are the only Canadian schools my mentors approved of me even considering. Granted, this is for PhD.

That said, I turned down UBC and am going to a different Canadian school that they've never heard of because I want to work with a small department, get personal attention, and have the freedom to pursue my interests as they develop. Watch out for the big reputation schools with well connected supervisors, make absolutely certain they will really let you study what you want. :)

But, where do you want to apply for your PhD? For example, if it's the UK, your Canadian MA won't matter, most UK schools require a UK MA. If it's the US, your MA could be from any school, as long as you make yourself stand out in the PhD application pool by publishing, presenting at AAA, etc.

Quick question: why do UK schools require a UK MA? Do they consider international master's degrees to be inferior? Is this specific to anthropology, or consistent for most disciplines? :(

I haven't chosen a list of schools for my PhD yet. I planned on doing considerable research on prospective schools over the summer, since I know I'll need to start working on PhD applications early in the fall. My focus is on medical anthropology, and I'll be looking for PoIs who are focused on nutrition and food security.

Thanks to all of you who gave advice,by the way. I spoke to one advisor today, and I have a call with the other on Monday. I need to make my final decision by EoD on Monday, so one way or another, I'll have chosen my new home for a year by early next week. It's going to be a stressful weekend, but I'm incredibly excited about the prospect of starting a new phase of my life in the fall. Can September come more quickly, please??

Also: has anyone who has multiple offers noticed how programs are now trying to woo you? This whole process has been bizarre. Programs and professors start off as aloof, but once they've decided they want you, they start treating you like a potential asset. I'm sure as soon as I say "yes" to a program, I'll go back to being yet another student who still needs to prove herself.

Edited by Kaitri

Hi Kaitri,

My advisor explained the basis of this decision to me in a really helpful way. She said that your masters research is essentially about your ability to carry out a well-rounded, cohesive and coherent small-scale research project, and discuss and write in your field at an advanced level, so you can show PhD program committees that you are capable of doing this kind of stuff independently - that they can trust your abilities and you will be a valuable contributor to their team, and a good investment. Which school's environment will help you accomplish this goal? I stopped looking at the "prestigious" schools because, to me, that is only worth so much at the end of the day. It made me realize that my current school will give me the flexibility, finances, independence and supportive environment that I require to accomplish the aforementioned goals. And. I know that my advisor and my committee will go to bat for me for my LORs for Phd. 

Personally, since I am also doing Med anthro and because I too considered McMaster and Toronto (but got better funding and a better advisor elsewhere), I would go with McMaster. The faculty seemed really great, the advisor I was thinking of going with was amazing and it seemed like the environment fostered learning and collaboration rather than competition - the latter is often considered a negative trait of U of T's environment. My advisor and some of my colleagues were trained at McMaster in bio and med anthro and absolutely loved it. Coincidentally, one of my friends just last week chose McMaster over Toronto, Alberta and USask.

Just my two cents. It's a difficult decision, no doubt, but whatever choice you make will be the right one.

Edited by circus

Hi Kaitri,

My advisor explained the basis of this decision to me in a really helpful way. She said that your masters research is essentially about your ability to carry out a well-rounded, cohesive and coherent small-scale research project, and discuss and write in your field at an advanced level, so you can show PhD program committees that you are capable of doing this kind of stuff independently - that they can trust your abilities and you will be a valuable contributor to their team, and a good investment. Which school's environment will help you accomplish this goal? I stopped looking at the "prestigious" schools because, to me, that is only worth so much at the end of the day. It made me realize that my current school will give me the flexibility, finances, independence and supportive environment that I require to accomplish the aforementioned goals. And. I know that my advisor and my committee will go to bat for me for my LORs for Phd. 

Personally, since I am also doing Med anthro and because I too considered McMaster and Toronto (but got better funding and a better advisor elsewhere), I would go with McMaster. The faculty seemed really great, the advisor I was thinking of going with was amazing and it seemed like the environment fostered learning and collaboration rather than competition - the latter is often considered a negative trait of U of T's environment. My advisor and some of my colleagues were trained at McMaster in bio and med anthro and absolutely loved it. Coincidentally, one of my friends just last week chose McMaster over Toronto, Alberta and USask.

Just my two cents. It's a difficult decision, no doubt, but whatever choice you make will be the right one.

Excellent advice. Kudos, circus. 

Hi Kaitri,

Thank you so much, Circus! I PMed you with some follow-up questions...