Decision Thread 2014

daykid

Forsaken, 

I went from a non-anthro background (Spanish/Int'l St majors) via an interdisciplinary MA program [designed my own, essentially anthro-heavy curriculum, did 1 yr coursework, got an int'l research grant from general grad school funding pool (I'm sure Chicago has some funds!)  2 short field research sessions (1 pilot, 1 longer study), 1 year thesis research/write-up] and feel pretty happy with the results of this, my first round of Ph.D. apps. 

I think your research, genuine recommendations from quality anthro mentors, and a really good fit between program foci and your app are what matter most. How well will your MA program allow you to foster those things for the next phase?

Just found out that my SO was admitted to Brown's medical school this morning! After my positive experience there last week and his excitement about the med school, it's all but a given that we'll both be in Providence in the fall. SO excited to have things falling into place - this has been a wild ride! Thanks to everybody for their ongoing support throughout the whole process and best of luck to everybody else who still have big decisions to make - I have positive thoughts for all!

Ahh, I'm so happy for you! Take my word for it: I did a little happy dance-wiggle!

Ahh, I'm so happy for you! Take my word for it: I did a little happy dance-wiggle!

CONGRATS!!!! That has to be such a relief that you can both go to the same school!!!

Thank you both! I definitely did a happy dance-wiggle as soon as I found out and then realized that I somehow had to get through the whole work day with the news! It is definitely a relief, just a huge weight off of our shoulders. Good luck to everyone else, and I hope those with SO's in the mix have everything turn out the way they had hoped  :)

Forsaken, 

I went from a non-anthro background (Spanish/Int'l St majors) via an interdisciplinary MA program [designed my own, essentially anthro-heavy curriculum, did 1 yr coursework, got an int'l research grant from general grad school funding pool (I'm sure Chicago has some funds!)  2 short field research sessions (1 pilot, 1 longer study), 1 year thesis research/write-up] and feel pretty happy with the results of this, my first round of Ph.D. apps. 

I think your research, genuine recommendations from quality anthro mentors, and a really good fit between program foci and your app are what matter most. How well will your MA program allow you to foster those things for the next phase?

I missed this, thanks ecologaia,

I think everything is going to work out. Im waiting on Tulane to give word, and Im excited to graduate in June.  I'm an older student who returned to school late in life. Honestly, I'm just grateful right now for the opportunity to continue advancing my studies. It's been a journey, that's for sure, but one thats been the time of my life.

I missed this, thanks ecologaia,

I think everything is going to work out. Im waiting on Tulane to give word, and Im excited to graduate in June.  I'm an older student who returned to school late in life. Honestly, I'm just grateful right now for the opportunity to continue advancing my studies. It's been a journey, that's for sure, but one thats been the time of my life.

Hey I'm an "older" student too (32)! I didn't start going to college until I had a kid :D

Lots of people go to grad school after taking several years between under-grad and grad school, so I'm sure you'll fit in just fine at your age wherever you end up. 

Edited by CulturalAnth

Nice! Congrats, Forsaken!

Congrats Forsaken! Welcome to the Windy City! :D

Way to go Forsaken! Congratulations on your decision.

Thanks everyone! I am certainly excited! I have never been to Chicago before. 

I love Chicago. It's one of my favorite major cities because it has the benefits of a big city but feels like a small town. The L is great (I miss good public transit), there are a lot of lovely neighborhoods, and I've met a lot of nice and helpful people there. Plus the school is amazing! One of the best anthro programs. I hope you love it.

Just had the craziest thing happen in the middle of my process. I've been trying to decide between two schools - had basically ruled out the third.

After 10 days of great, interesting email conversations in which I we were discussing research ideas - the prospective supervisor suddenly emailed me and said that he didn't want to work with me, and the department couldn't support me there if I wasn't going to write my dissertation on exactly what I had written in my application essay.

I've never heard of this happening, but apparently it's a thing that occurs sometimes. So - I am SO grateful that I figured out he was only willing to work on one thing and had no tolerance at all for exploration or following the research where it took me. If I hadn't I would have signed up to go study in a completely toxic situation.

It's a good reminder that during the decision process it's so important to talk on the phone, to email a lot - to seriously get to know your potential supervisors, to show them who you really are in order to avoid a horrible situation later.

But on the upside, it made my decision so much easier because the other school is like a dream in comparison - they completely support me, and are excited by all my interests and ideas - not just one of them.

Wow Canis, God is making the decision easy for you! I'm so glad you got out of that horrible situation. I'm very happy that you'll get to go to your dream school!

Just had the craziest thing happen in the middle of my process. I've been trying to decide between two schools - had basically ruled out the third.

After 10 days of great, interesting email conversations in which I we were discussing research ideas - the prospective supervisor suddenly emailed me and said that he didn't want to work with me, and the department couldn't support me there if I wasn't going to write my dissertation on exactly what I had written in my application essay.

I've never heard of this happening, but apparently it's a thing that occurs sometimes. So - I am SO grateful that I figured out he was only willing to work on one thing and had no tolerance at all for exploration or following the research where it took me. If I hadn't I would have signed up to go study in a completely toxic situation.

It's a good reminder that during the decision process it's so important to talk on the phone, to email a lot - to seriously get to know your potential supervisors, to show them who you really are in order to avoid a horrible situation later.

But on the upside, it made my decision so much easier because the other school is like a dream in comparison - they completely support me, and are excited by all my interests and ideas - not just one of them.

I see where you're coming from - but I don't really know if the environment is toxic because they are holding you to what you wrote in your SOP. I mean, I don't really know what you wrote or how it was worded, but I definitely do not hold it against the POI for holding you to your word. This happens a lot, actually, because at the PhD level you should be applying to schools and know exactly what you want to do - it's not a masters program. Regardless, I'm glad that it worked out for you. I decided I wasn't going to a PhD program unless I was going for my ideas, rather than fulfilling a current POI's agenda. I ended up not applying to 3 schools (one was actually a declined recruitment) because I would have been an "appendage" to the POI, rather than finishing with a unique contribution of research. It sounds like you made the same choice, and I think that is a good one, and ultimately set you/us up for success.

Edited by DigDeep

The thing is in cultural it's not the case that students are held to their admissions statement interests. In this case, it's exactly that, a POI who wanted a protege to take on his personal work. Any deviation from that, even minor ones, would not have been acceptable. What's especially disconcerting about this was that the POI never even hinted at this in initial discussions and went through 10 days of emailing about (every day) about research areas before finally being pushed to reveal that this would be the case.

There are a host of other reasons I'd label it toxic, based on not only this but also the fact that students are finding it impossible to finish because of too many new admits, not enough TA spots for funding in the years after the funding runs out, difficultly getting access and support from supervisor and from committee and from department, etc. I looked at the graduate student association meeting minutes going back years and every year they brought up the same problems over and over, and the department hasn't addressed them.

Also, when I reached out to the department, the faculty member in charge of the grad admissions process literally said "I haven't been doing this long" so couldn't answer my questions about how funding works - but also couldn't direct me to anyone who could. The department took days to reply to simple queries, and generally felt distant and reluctant to help me find answers to questions about the offer they were giving me.

Finally, the real sign was that of all the dozens of current students I reached out to contact about life in the department - only 2 replied. At every other school, all of the students replied, usually with glowing recommendations. In this case one was somewhat positive and one was negative - but only two even bothered to reply.

Edit: I should add this was the exact opposite in all regards of the other programs that made me offers. One of the scariest parts was the one student who did have positive reviews of the department said "it's great except for difficulty getting time with your supervisor, competition with other students for funding, x, y, z, etc." listing all these horrible things that aren't the case in some programs - but which this student said they assumed was normal in programs! I'm glad to have had a lot of experience (~5 years) working closely at a PhD only university with faculty and students and knowing how it ought to be!

Edited by Canis

The thing is in cultural it's not the case that students are held to their admissions statement interests. In this case, it's exactly that, a POI who wanted a protege to take on his personal work. Any deviation from that, even minor ones, would not have been acceptable. What's especially disconcerting about this was that the POI never even hinted at this in initial discussions and went through 10 days of emailing about (every day) about research areas before finally being pushed to reveal that this would be the case.

There are a host of other reasons I'd label it toxic, based on not only this but also the fact that students are finding it impossible to finish because of too many new admits, not enough TA spots for funding in the years after the funding runs out, difficultly getting access and support from supervisor and from committee and from department, etc. I looked at the graduate student association meeting minutes going back years and every year they brought up the same problems over and over, and the department hasn't addressed them.

Also, when I reached out to the department, the faculty member in charge of the grad admissions process literally said "I haven't been doing this long" so couldn't answer my questions about how funding works - but also couldn't direct me to anyone who could. The department took days to reply to simple queries, and generally felt distant and reluctant to help me find answers to questions about the offer they were giving me.

Finally, the real sign was that of all the dozens of current students I reached out to contact about life in the department - only 2 replied. At every other school, all of the students replied, usually with glowing recommendations. In this case one was somewhat positive and one was negative - but only two even bothered to reply.

Edit: I should add this was the exact opposite in all regards of the other programs that made me offers. One of the scariest parts was the one student who did have positive reviews of the department said "it's great except for difficulty getting time with your supervisor, competition with other students for funding, x, y, z, etc." listing all these horrible things that aren't the case in some programs - but which this student said they assumed was normal in programs! I'm glad to have had a lot of experience (~5 years) working closely at a PhD only university with faculty and students and knowing how it ought to be!

Wow - I would say that it's unfortunate that the POI did that, but it sounds like he did you a favor in the end (although, wasted a lot of your time). Regardless, looks like you truly dodged a bullet! 

On that note. I just formally declined my offer from University of British Columbia, in case anyone is on their wait-list. (You may want to bring a bullet proof vest if you choose to accept.)

Canis - While I'm not sure "toxic" is the word I would use, I would certainly say that kind of atmosphere is not conducive to learning, growing, or producing research.  My SOP stated a pretty broad area of interest because I am genuinely interested in doing research on many topics, and my POI seems completely comfortable with allowing me to explore and discover my own trajectory.  Her existing graduate students study things that are similar to her interests, but they have their own distinct foci.  As anyone who has done any kind of research knows, the more you research, the more questions arise.  Sometimes a focused research project can veer off into a new direction based on evidence and can lead to completely different topics.  I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I was only ever allowed to explore ONE thing and was only allowed to continue the professor's work rather than developing my own.  I think that being able to ask your own questions and develop research on your own unique topic (with guidance from a POI) is very valuable.  It sounds like you definitely avoided a bad situation.  I hope your future university offers you more flexibility and better support! 

Canis- Wow. I've always been told by POIs to put thesis/disertation research topics in the SOP, but that didn't mean after being accepted that I couldn't pick a different topic instead. On my SOPs, I mostly just said I want to work with POI on their XYZ research from which I will formulate my own research topic regarding ZYX, etc. There was only one that I was extremely specific what I wanted my dissertation to be about. My area of study is both very specific and very broad (reproductive anthropology), and I picked the few universities that have POIs doing that kind of work. 

Anyway.. I'm glad now you know and were able to make the best decision for you! 

It's funny because so many of my friends who have finished PhDs and who are doing them now warned me about things like this and I just didn't believe that such educated adults could be so nuts - but lesson learned and now I'll be on guard. :)

CALLING ALL FEEDBACK---

At this point, after dismissing a third, unfunded offer, I am looking at deciding between:

1) a cozy, humbly-funded but uber supportive program in a quaint area that doesn't involve a major move, highly engaged faculty who are seasoned in their fields if not huge names, fucking beautiful and close to green space, where cohorts teach their heads off as a requirement from day one (I heart teaching), most have to balance other on campus jobs, but all geek out over their high quality of life

vs.

2) a more prestigious, ornate and old money-southern ivy, my-area-expert-focused program with crazy funding but in a way urban environment (and we're wilderness-obsessed New Hampshirites!) where i'll be my advisor's first protegee (although while an intimidating thought, I am actually quite intrigued by that possibility and its implications, and the man is wicked cool yesichosethatwordonpurpose) and though there are some big names in the department, it sounds like i'd have to panache my way into teaching opportunities and raise a bit of noise along the way in that regard, and grad students are positive and lively but very here's-the-deal-avoid-him-fight-for-that-but-this-rocks kind of way. 

Liked everyone I met at both schools, so that's no question. My fiance will find excellent work in his field in either local, and he is the practical, money-focused-type when it comes to the decision factors. 

Thoughts? 

As always, you all are the best support system. Thanks in advance for the time! We have to let everyone know by Wednesday. 

CALLING ALL FEEDBACK---

At this point, after dismissing a third, unfunded offer, I am looking at deciding between:

1) a cozy, humbly-funded but uber supportive program in a quaint area that doesn't involve a major move, highly engaged faculty who are seasoned in their fields if not huge names, fucking beautiful and close to green space, where cohorts teach their heads off as a requirement from day one (I heart teaching), most have to balance other on campus jobs, but all geek out over their high quality of life

vs.

2) a more prestigious, ornate and old money-southern ivy, my-area-expert-focused program with crazy funding but in a way urban environment (and we're wilderness-obsessed New Hampshirites!) where i'll be my advisor's first protegee (although while an intimidating thought, I am actually quite intrigued by that possibility and its implications, and the man is wicked cool yesichosethatwordonpurpose) and though there are some big names in the department, it sounds like i'd have to panache my way into teaching opportunities and raise a bit of noise along the way in that regard, and grad students are positive and lively but very here's-the-deal-avoid-him-fight-for-that-but-this-rocks kind of way. 

Liked everyone I met at both schools, so that's no question. My fiance will find excellent work in his field in either local, and he is the practical, money-focused-type when it comes to the decision factors. 

Thoughts? 

As always, you all are the best support system. Thanks in advance for the time! We have to let everyone know by Wednesday. 

If it were I, ecologaia, it would depend on what my ultimate goal is and what my priorities are. Is being in a more suburban/rural area than an urban environment important to your quality of life as an individual and as a couple? My SO really doesn't like urban areas and having to live in a big city would have been a huge turn-off for him, where as the location didn't affect me too much either way. Is becoming a professor your ultimate goal? Then have teaching experience from option 1 may give you an advantage. What about being placed TT at an R1 institution? Option 2 might present you with networking opportunities that might be available elsewhere. Are you willing to possibly work another job to make ends meet or is your fiance helping to support you? Is the idea of constantly looking for funding sound like a welcome challenge or an unnecessary burden? 

I know that was a lot to throw at you, but I think prioritizing what is important to YOU, rather than what you hear is supposed to be prioritized will be most important. In the end, you'll be spending a great deal of your life where you end up and you want the whole experience (not just on-campus) to be as enjoyable as possible. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Eco- I posted on the Waiting Game thread for Option1 :)

Since my little confusion with UNLV surfaced yesterday, I am back to being torn between WSU and UNLV. Basically, where I've been was coming to terms with accepting WSU because I was accepted into the PhD, and at UNLV they said they accepted me into an MA (see Results thread). But, I am still not thrilled with the thought of moving to Pullman. I applied there because I thought I had a good chance of getting in, and it was #4 on my list of 5. I would be very happy living in LV. I have family nearby, I have friends already living there, my SO can get a fantastic-paying job, I can go PT my first year if I want (and I DO want to, because as most of you know I have found myself unexpectedly pregnant and due in the middle of Fall semester!). If, for some reason, I didn't get much or any funding at either WSU or UNLV it is MUCH cheaper at UNLV to pay out-of-pocket/student loans (almost half as much!). And finally, I need sunshine, and warmth, desperately! I am so tired of living in isolated, cold, small towns. 

So, here is my question: If UNLV made a mistake and I did not get accepted into the PhD, and only the MA (and still no word on funding), yet at WSU I have been accepted for the PhD and only have my first semester guaranteed funding- with the possibility of next spring but will be unknown until right before the semester starts for every semester . . . What should I pick? UNLV = happiness, family, financially comfortable, but possibly only an MA and uncertainty of maybe not getting into a PhD (if, in fact, it was a mistake). Or, WSU = PhD. Does my happiness (etc) weigh more or less than *knowing* I will get a PhD, for sure?  

What would you pick? Why? 

Thanks! 

CulturalAnth - I would always pick happiness above all else. Getting an advanced degree, regardless of whether it's an MA or a PhD, is a significant challenge.  It is so important that you be in a good frame of mind and have a good support system while you are doing this.  ESPECIALLY if you have a baby on the way.  I don't know if it's your first, but from what I gather from my friends with kids, you will need more help from your family than you realize with juggling a baby and a career/education.

Even if you are only getting the MA from UNLV, it sounds like that is definitely where you want to be. I'm assuming you have already contacted them about your mix-up, but I really think you should ask them if it's at all possible to do the terminal MA and then move onto the PhD with them.  Some schools allow you to continue on in their program after the MA, some don't. You can always decide to try to apply for a PhD after the MA at another university if you can't stay with UNLV.  I think it really sounds like your best option right now.  But the way you worded your post makes me think you might already know that :)

CulturalAnth- If I were you, I would likely, after a lot of thought about pros/cons, end up choosing UNLV-- (how easily do their MA students transition into the PhD program?) You might have a PhD offer anyway, which is great, and even if not, you'll give yourself the time, perspective and chance to engage with your newborn in the earliest days while you are adjusting to motherhood in the context of graduate student life. You can absolutely still get your PhD, and in fact, might cast your net slightly differently with your applications after you have had a year or so of proper time to consider your new family dynamic, your desired living situations, and perhaps have refined your topic even further and have specific people in mind you'd like to work with. Just a thought. Even bigger thought-- your hormonal instincts are on mamma-crack right now. What better time to listen to your woman's intuition? It might echo the babe's needs well...

Magiaepasta- So Brown, being in Providence... that is sitting better with you than your SO? BTdubz, cool city, i've been a few times. LOL, i'm mediterranean-looking, so I get along quite well there in particular, but I think anyone would!

On the urbanity question...I am honestly openminded with the idea of living outside of Nashville, and think it would be easy enough to find some green space to escape to... also i think the traffic is not supposed to be particularly bad, and the low cost of living-- especially considering the buff funding offer-- would make this feel more like a job and less like charming poverty. Being placed TT in a top uni is quite essential to my career goals, though I know the odds are difficult regardless of place. You're right, I think, that the networking piece might be invaluable, but so would the teaching...

The big move is a worry to my SO, as is the cost of doing such (two weeks before our wedding up in NH... gahhhh!) I think essentially it comes down to a struggle for funding vs. a struggle for teaching rights. I've asked one of the schools to get back to me on a particular question I had about initial support, and they are supposedly going to respond today or tomorrow. Honestly, it might come down to that answer...

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the thoughts, keep 'em coming!!