Decision Thread 2014

daykid

I was just looking through the calendar for UBC and Memorial, and I noticed that classes only meet from the beginning of September to the beginning of December, then there is a month off, and then courses resume from January to the beginning of April.

That's only 3 months for each semester and five months off each summer! Is that the norm for Canadian schools or am I missing something?

I was just looking through the calendar for UBC and Memorial, and I noticed that classes only meet from the beginning of September to the beginning of December, then there is a month off, and then courses resume from January to the beginning of April.

That's only 3 months for each semester and five months off each summer! Is that the norm for Canadian schools or am I missing something?

Yup, typical structure is two 13-week semesters, followed by an exam period (which typically applies to undergrad not grad)

That is pretty standard for Canadian schools. Classes end in late November or early December, and undergrads usually have exams scattered throughout December. If you TA, you'll probably be expected to be around until mid-December. Some universities have a reading week in the Fall semester, almost all have some sort of spring break or spring reading week. UBC's spring break was in February this year since classes end so early! (I'm not kidding)

The schedule is really great for students who self-fund; you can have a decent summer job and work full time from late April to late August.

Thanks! That's amazing, so much time off!

The idea is so you can do something productive with your summer - which for most of us means making some $$$

I'm thinking about it in terms of what it would mean to study in a different city from my SO - it could mean no more than 3 months apart at a time, which makes the Canadian schools very attractive!

Ok, here's where I'm at, and I'd appreciate some advice. 

I am almost ready to just hit the accept button on the U of Chicago MA in Latin American Studies, but I still haven't heard from Tulane or Columbia. I reckon Columbia is a rejection to the PhD, but as far I can tell they offer an MA à la U of Chicago. No doubt it will cost more than the Chicago because I received a half tuition scholarship, but I have another concern. I want a PhD in anthro. What are everyone's thoughts on getting the MA in Latin studies, which is my area of interest and moving to an Anthro PhD?  I will have a chance to work with my POI from the anthro dept (hopefully), and I will gear all my classes in that manner. IF Columbia does offer the MA it would be in anthro. Does this make it more valuable to me in the long run? I understand that value will be determined by how much I put into the MA, but I'm speaking in terms of perception. 

Also, from what i've heard about the Tulane Latin Studies is that they tend to offer substantial financial aid. I would love to hear from them before deciding. I think I've ruled out UW, and I'm mulling Georgetown depending on aid, as well as Miami. Realistically, after looking at Georgetown's PhD placement after graduation I have my doubts about the program being beneficial for someone looking to move on to a PhD. It seems to be an excellent program for creating contacts in foreign service though. Miami has offered field research money, not a lot, but it's something. 

I want to go to Chicago. Should I wait to hear from Tulane and Columbia? I don't feel like waiting until April whatever to hear from Columbia. 

Someone interject some wisdom as I am hovering over the accept button as I type.  

Edited by Forsaken in LA

I am almost ready to just hit the accept button on the U of Chicago MA in Latin American Studies, but I still haven't heard from Tulane or Columbia. I reckon Columbia is a rejection to the PhD, but as far I can tell they offer an MA à la U of Chicago. No doubt it will cost more than the Chicago because I received a half tuition scholarship, but I have another concern. I want a PhD in anthro. What are everyone's thoughts on getting the MA in Latin studies, which is my area of interest and moving to an Anthro PhD?  I will have a chance to work with my POI from the anthro dept (hopefully), and I will gear all my classes in that manner. IF Columbia does offer the MA it would be in anthro. Does this make it more valuable to me in the long run? I understand that value will be determined by how much I put into the MA, but I'm speaking in terms of perception. 

Also, from what i've heard about the Tulane Latin Studies is that they tend to offer substantial financial aid. I would love to hear from them before deciding. I think I've ruled out UW, and I'm mulling Georgetown depending on aid, as well as Miami. Realistically, after looking at Georgetown's PhD placement after graduation I have my doubts about the program being beneficial for someone looking to move on to a PhD. It seems to be an excellent program for creating contacts in foreign service though. Miami has offered field research money, not a lot, but it's something. 

I want to go to Chicago. Should I wait to hear from Tulane and Columbia? I don't feel like waiting until April whatever to hear from Columbia. 

Someone interject some wisdom as I am hovering over the accept button as I type.  

At this point if you are only waiting on these other decisions to decide on Chicago, I'd call. It's past the point of just being impatient and actually affecting your decision. Call, let them know that you are deciding whether or not to accept another offer and that if there is any information to be had, than you need it. Otherwise, if where you really want to be is Chicago, go to Chicago!

Personally, as someone who likes to have all the information before I make the decision, I would wait to hear from Columbia. What do you have to lose by waiting another month? I know it's tempting to just get the process over with, but how would you feel if you had accepted and then got a positive response from Columbia next week? Would that change your decision?

At this point if you are only waiting on these other decisions to decide on Chicago, I'd call. It's past the point of just being impatient and actually affecting your decision. Call, let them know that you are deciding whether or not to accept another offer and that if there is any information to be had, than you need it. Otherwise, if where you really want to be is Chicago, go to Chicago!

I also agree that it wouldn't hurt to call at this point to see if you can get any information out of them!

Forsaken- I would wait until all decisions have been sent to you. If you got an awesome package at Tulane, but already accepted at Chicago, it wouldn't be good for your reputation to change your mind after accepting. Just be patient and wait a little while longer. You can do it! 

I actually didn't see it as a negative, as long as there's continuity between what you'd be doing in the MA program & what you would want to do in a PhD program. It totally depends on the coursework, though. If you can focus your classes on all things anthropological, rather than, say, political science, it could be a great advantage if you intend to keep your focus on Latin American things, since you'd have a solid foundation in that specific area of study than others who are coming from a more general 4-field background might not. That said, if the coursework component of the degree is pretty inflexible, it could be problematic, just because it might veer away from anthropology (although I think a socioculturally focused thesis could make up for that.. but what do I know!).

Good idea everyone.  

Any opinion though on the Latin American Studies MA being a negative on the quest to a PhD in anthro? 

I have a couple of friends who got MA's in Latin American Studies and went on to be accepted at top anthro programs for their PhD's.  Like pears said, just try to keep your coursework in the anthro vein, and definitely approach your thesis within an anthropological framework.

Forsaken - make sure you have some serious email conversations with students in the MA programs at Chicago and at Columbia. Go to academia.edu and the departmental web site and email as many as you can find - ask them what their feelings are about the department. Ask them what they wish they'd known before attending.

Also - consider that the MA program at Columbia is essentially a cash cow for the PhD program. And even students in the PhD program there often say that they struggle to really get engagement from the faculty. My friend who did an MA at Columbia (paid for as a Fulbright student) said the department was empty and dead - there wasn't any vitality to it. There's great people there, but they aren't there to help anyone else's career, certainly not the MA students. They're busy with their own stuff.

Chicago is historically and currently as highly ranked a program in anthro as Columbia. If they're giving you funding do it.

Also, who do you want to work with at both places? Have you written to your potential supervisors and spilled your guts? Written all the ideas, speculations, fantasies, passions you have and seen how they respond? Show them your anthropological soul and see how they react, that can tell you a lot about how good the research fit really is.

(Edit: I should add that it's certainly possible to do your MA at Columbia and then do a PhD there - but they will encourage you to do your PhD elsewhere. Schools rarely like the idea of students staying where they are from degree to degree and even if they love you - sometime BECAUSE they love you - they won't admit you to the next degree there. It's generally considered a good idea to move between degrees.)

Edited by Canis

Thanks Canis, and everyone else! I was rejected to Columbia and I am hearing nothing but awful things about their program.  Huh. I'm going to wait a couple more days and accept the Chicago offer.  Good advice about writing my POI. I've been putting it off for Chicago for different reasons, but it's time.  Thanks everyone! 

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice about my impending decision. You guys are amazing!

I hope that money won't be much of an issue, and I think that many of you are correct in pointing out that it will likely be more valuable for me to have a M.A. specifically in anthro if I want to pursue an anthro PhD (which I do). I've all but decided; I'm going to meet with my PoI again next week, and meet with some current students at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anthro-specific questions to ask the current students?

Forsaken, when I was applying for Masters in 2009, I got in Columbia anthro MA program, which was then a one year only program and it was super expensive. I finally went to NYU to get my Masters in an interdisciplinary program in humanities. That means, prior to this application circle, I did not have any specific theory or methodology training in anthro or any disciplinary program, and I always thought that was something that would put me on a bit of (probably tremendous) disadvantage. However I did get into two pretty good programs in anthro with funding and I also get into a Ph.D program in English (fully funded) - English is not even my first language! So all I want to say now, echoing one of the POIs that I visited a week ago, is that let your research speaks for itself. You can definitely go for a Latin American studies program now and craft a research plan that would get you into the anthro program that you want. In fact, You should go for any Master program with the mindset and confidence that it will lead you to a great Ph.D. Congratulations.

Forsaken, when I was applying for Masters in 2009, I got in Columbia anthro MA program, which was then a one year only program and it was super expensive. I finally went to NYU to get my Masters in an interdisciplinary program in humanities. That means, prior to this application circle, I did not have any specific theory or methodology training in anthro or any disciplinary program, and I always thought that was something that would put me on a bit of (probably tremendous) disadvantage. However I did get into two pretty good programs in anthro with funding and I also get into a Ph.D program in English (fully funded) - English is not even my first language! So all I want to say now, echoing one of the POIs that I visited a week ago, is that let your research speaks for itself. You can definitely go for a Latin American studies program now and craft a research plan that would get you into the anthro program that you want. In fact, You should go for any Master program with the mindset and confidence that it will lead you to a great Ph.D. Congratulations.

Widefellow,

This was a very reassuring post and I really appreciate it.  :D

I have turned down all my MA's except Georgetown and Chicago. I just want to see if Georgetown offers any funding. I'm waiting on Tulane still. I emailed the director today and he said I should know by the end of the week. Realistically I'm going to Chicago, I just want to make sure that either of the two others doesn't make me an offer I can't refuse.

In search of a reality check. I'm seriously considering turning down UBC for Memorial University of Newfoundland. Am I crazy?

Everyone at Memorial has felt like a great fit from the start. The faculty and students respond to my questions right away with long, complete answers. The faculty and my committee seem so invested in me, and so excited about my work. The students are engaging and interesting and also seem really into my work. The funding is solid, if slightly less.

On the other side, the faculty at UBC don't seem to be able to answer simple funding questions, the students I've heard from say it's a challenge to finish, and impossible to get funding after year 4 - overall feels like there's just nothing there.

How is it that the school with the best reputation is like that and the school I'd never heard of is so amazing? Perspective, experience, advice, and more all welcome! Am I missing something? Thanks!

In search of a reality check. I'm seriously considering turning down UBC for Memorial University of Newfoundland. Am I crazy?

Everyone at Memorial has felt like a great fit from the start. The faculty and students respond to my questions right away with long, complete answers. The faculty and my committee seem so invested in me, and so excited about my work. The students are engaging and interesting and also seem really into my work. The funding is solid, if slightly less.

On the other side, the faculty at UBC don't seem to be able to answer simple funding questions, the students I've heard from say it's a challenge to finish, and impossible to get funding after year 4 - overall feels like there's just nothing there.

How is it that the school with the best reputation is like that and the school I'd never heard of is so amazing? Perspective, experience, advice, and more all welcome! Am I missing something? Thanks!

Canis, 

I would say that you should go with whichever school feels better. The environment you describe at Memorial sounds great. I can't speak with any knowledge of any of the programs you mentioned, but It seems that the students would be an ideal source of information. It sounds as though Memorial would make you happier! Just my 1/2 a cent.

B)

Canis, 

I would say that you should go with whichever school feels better. The environment you describe at Memorial sounds great. I can't speak with any knowledge of any of the programs you mentioned, but It seems that the students would be an ideal source of information. It sounds as though Memorial would make you happier! Just my 1/2 a cent.

B)

I agree with Forsaken.. I would especially take into consideration the happiness of the grad students you are talking to, because that will be you someday. 

Just found out that my SO was admitted to Brown's medical school this morning! After my positive experience there last week and his excitement about the med school, it's all but a given that we'll both be in Providence in the fall. SO excited to have things falling into place - this has been a wild ride! Thanks to everybody for their ongoing support throughout the whole process and best of luck to everybody else who still have big decisions to make - I have positive thoughts for all!

Just found out that my SO was admitted to Brown's medical school this morning! After my positive experience there last week and his excitement about the med school, it's all but a given that we'll both be in Providence in the fall. SO excited to have things falling into place - this has been a wild ride! Thanks to everybody for their ongoing support throughout the whole process and best of luck to everybody else who still have big decisions to make - I have positive thoughts for all!

CONGRATS!!!! That has to be such a relief that you can both go to the same school!!!