NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

Hey everyone! I realize that this might not be the "best" place to be posting since I am currently doing my Master's in SLP now, and I realize that this is a place for you all to vent (and don't get me wrong I know that it is VERY needed at times like these) but I just thought that I would share my history of applying for SLP with you all to maybe give at least someone some inspiration. 

I'm from Canada, and as I'm sure many of you know, there are A LOT less program options here than there are in the States. So naturally the first time I applied, I applied to 6/10 the Canadian programs (2 of them I didn't have the right pre-requisites for, one of them I didn't apply to because even though my French is good, I didn't understand their website haha and with the stress from all the other schools, I couldn't be bothered to figure it out, and the other I didn't want to write the GRE for). Despite everyone's "you'll get in somewhere don't worry, you're amazing" and "of course you'll get into McGill, that's where you did your undergrad so they will for sure take you!", I got rejected from every single one. Not even a wait list! 

After this, I figured okay, clearly I need to fix something, went back to school to take the pre-requisites that I was missing to allow me to also apply to the other 2 schools, studied for the GRE (didn't do super hot…did well but not stellar), did even more volunteer work  and re-applied again a second time. Once again, no acceptances, no wait lists. So I went on for about a month afterwards, super depressed and didn't really know what to do with my life. 

Then I decided that this was truly what I wanted to do with my life. So I left my job (working at a restaurant/bar…nothing special), did a whole bunch of volunteer work, re-studied and re-took the GRE, and went back to school part-time AGAIN, but this time I re-took some of the classes that I got below an A- (but at a different University) so that I could boost my GPA of my last 20 classes (since I already knew the material and wasn't learning it for the first time, I got all A+'s and one A in the 6 classes I took). 

Days passed after hearing everyone on here getting accepted, still no acceptances, then a few rejections rolled in. I remember like it was yesterday, one drunken night I was super depressed, drinking wine on my patio (by myself - yes depressed mode haha!) and I literally crumbled to the ground crying. I must have cried for about 20 minutes just thinking "What's my plan B?" And I got really mad at myself because I DIDN'T have a plan B!! This is what I wanted to do and I knew it!! So finally I calmed myself down and drunkenly decided that even though it would be another year striving for this goal of mine, I would do what I thought it took to achieve it. This made me feel a lot better about myself, I just wasn't sure what everyone else would think if it would come time to tell them.

Few days later, I got wait listed at one school, which turned into an acceptance a week after that. All this to say, it took A LOT of time and A LOT of perseverance, but I finally did it! And I can honestly say, I couldn't be more happy than being with the classmates that I am with right now. And I can also honestly say, that if I didn't get in last year, I'd still be trucking away trying to achieve my goal. 

I hope that every single one of you gets in to at least one school and if not, don't hesitate to contact the University to see where you can improve (most are very helpful with that) and keep following your dreams! Don't give up! 

Thank you so much for posting this.

xjmi: I'm at Ottawa. I saw you applied to U of A, where else did you apply?

Oh nice! I didn't apply to Ottawa because of my poor French skills haha. I've applied to UBC, UWO, U of T, U of A, and McGill. I also applied to a couple American schools and found out I got wait listed at one and rejected at the other. Gahhh I just want one acceptance already!!!

Oh nice! I didn't apply to Ottawa because of my poor French skills haha. I've applied to UBC, UWO, U of T, U of A, and McGill. I also applied to a couple American schools and found out I got wait listed at one and rejected at the other. Gahhh I just want one acceptance already!!!

Wait list could be a good potential, you never know!!! Fingers crossed for you!!! :) 

Ughhhh I just got my first wait list. Not sure how to feel about it. Glad I'm not rejected, I guess? Haha. What do you think the odds are on getting off a wait list?

@marshmelos - I'd assume they would because it's something that's relevant to your field...as opposed to a music appreciation course or something....

Tomorrow starts a new week. *Fingers crossed*

I had a mental breakdown yesterday :( And then I received another rejection today. I know I don't have a strong GPA, but I graduated college 2 years ago and I am so much more focused (and mature) than I was at that time. I took a couple speech graduate courses last semester and got a 4.0 in those classes, but it seems like my application still isn't strong enough. I am so incredibly nervous! I know I still have more schools to hear from, but when there has only been rejections, it's easy to let my mind wander to the negative :(

Hugs to everyone on this board! 

@daisynic I am in the exact same boat!  I graduated 2010 with an avg gpa from a great undergrad speech program.  I applied for the 2012 cycle and got on some waitlsits, but didn't make it off them.  I've worked so hard on myself and my application since then, taken grad classes, gained applicable work and volunteer experience, and I STILL have not gotten an acceptance this time around.  It is so frustrating to feel judged based on grades, transcripts, etc that seem so far away ago to me.  Best of luck to you, and everyone else!

So in all honesty, would you guys say GPA is the most important? My GPA isn't the best, but extra-curriculars and volunteering are my strong points.

Yes, GPA is the most important.  My GPA isn't the best either.  judging from all the acceptances everyone has a high gpa unless something went wrong with LOI or references.  I know that one school i applied to has a ranking 50 percent for grades and 10 percent each for everything else.

Edited by Asemooooooo

Yes, GPA is the most important. My GPA isn't the best either. judging from all the acceptances everyone has a high gpa unless something went wrong with LOI or references. I know that one school i applied to has a ranking 50 percent for grades and 10 percent each for everything else.

Wow, I really want to think that's not the case for the programs I applied to! It's a shame because some undergrad programs are more difficult than others, I wish that was considered.

Wow, I really want to think that's not the case for the programs I applied to! It's a shame because some undergrad programs are more difficult than others, I wish that was considered.

I would also say GRE is counted as pretty important if not as important.  I have a pretty good GPA and lower GREs, and from what I have seen from people posting their stats of acceptances they have a lower GPA than me, but better GREs.  I wish schools would just briefly mention what they don't like, for example GRE scores so I would know what to work on.  I was hoping my GPA, internships, and volunteering would help me, but that hasn't been the case so far.

I would also say GRE is counted as pretty important if not as important.  I have a pretty good GPA and lower GREs, and from what I have seen from people posting their stats of acceptances they have a lower GPA than me, but better GREs.  I wish schools would just briefly mention what they don't like, for example GRE scores so I would know what to work on.  I was hoping my GPA, internships, and volunteering would help me, but that hasn't been the case so far.

I'm going to agree with this. I know for us, we had intended to apply to Northern Arizona U, but their website made clear that anyone under a 3.5 on AW wouldn't be accepted. Much the same as GPA, I think many schools have a hard and fast cutoff for what they'll accept to weed out some of the applicants.

Yes, that is the same case for me.  In Canada you have to work extremely hard for your grades.  They don't just give out A's and A+ that easily.  It seems like America is easier when it comes to that because everyone seems to have near to perfect gpa which is not the case here.

I'm going to agree with this. I know for us, we had intended to apply to Northern Arizona U, but their website made clear that anyone under a 3.5 on AW wouldn't be accepted. Much the same as GPA, I think many schools have a hard and fast cutoff for what they'll accept to weed out some of the applicants.

Yes, i agree with that too.  Most schools also say that if they have two applicants with the same gpa and they need to decide who to take, they take the one with the highest GRE score

@twinguy7 Yeah it's via Skype. I don't have $350+ to spend on a ticket, which would include missing 5+ days of school (and a day or two of my externship) plus I wouldn't be able to get around Michigan anyway-I'm not old enough to rent a car-and I don't have the money for a hotel either. I'm thankful that they were so accommodating :)

Yes, that is the same case for me.  In Canada you have to work extremely hard for your grades.  They don't just give out A's and A+ that easily.  It seems like America is easier when it comes to that because everyone seems to have near to perfect gpa which is not the case here.

I totally agree with you. I'm Canadian too and the near 4.0 GPAs I see here from the American applicants on here are nearly impossible to achieve here in Canada. I'm not sure why they make it so hard here?

@twinguy7 Yeah it's via Skype. I don't have $350+ to spend on a ticket, which would include missing 5+ days of school (and a day or two of my externship) plus I wouldn't be able to get around Michigan anyway-I'm not old enough to rent a car-and I don't have the money for a hotel either. I'm thankful that they were so accommodating :)

Yea, the cheapest flight I could find was $468 for a round trip and like you said thats jus the flight... theres hotel, car, food, etc.  I am taking the writing portion on wednesday and interview thursday.  :)  We'll have to talk about it after we're both done! :)